Dominicans on Wall Street (DOWS)

Robert

Stay Frosty!
Jan 2, 1999
dr1.com
DR1 and DOWS proudly announce the launch of a new forum.

Need an explanation on Dominican bonds? What is the perception in Wall
Street on how the economy in the DR is doing? Dominicans on Wall Street,
Inc. hosts this section.

This forum section is the result of brainstorming during the visit of a
10-member delegation of Dominicans on Wall Street to the DR1 offices as
part of their spring visit to the DR. They come regularly to keep in
touch, encourage young Dominicans to take the plunge into higher
finance, and find ways to strengthen ties between Dominican business
professionals in the DR and the US.

The moderators of this forum, which can also be accessed through the
DOWS website, are Robert Abreu, Emmanuel Martinez, and Josefa Sicard
Mirabal. See their biographies at http://www.dows.ws

deelt

Bronze
Mar 23, 2004
Hey Emmanuel!

Como estas? Welcome to DR1! Last time we talked I was inviting you to a Juan Luis Guerra Gala event in DC. Just saw Cid last week but we didn't get a chance to chat. He did his proverbial plug for DOWS at the NCLR event. :)Glad to have you guys on board. I haven't met some of the newer DOWS folks but if you guys ever want visit DC just let me know.

One of my girls is transferring down to the Deloitte & Touche office in NYC in about 2 weeks. I'll connect you guys. Look out for her. She is one kick-butt Dominicana with a tight game. I hope she'll have time to get involved with you guys.

Deelt

GDP - Washington???

Deelt - when I saw your name in this thread, it reminded me of our last conversation. You had recommended that I reconnect with the GDP in Washington. I appreciate your help and advice, but I did not have any luck. Their website is terribly outdated, and doesn't look like it's been updated since 2004.

Also, at one time I reached out to DOWS as well, but never heard back from anyone.

Your thoughts?

Steve

lilrushc8

May 22, 2006
This message is for Josefa Sicard Mirabal. I noticed you served as Chief Justice of the Civil, Commercial and Labor Court, La Vega, Dominican Republic, and as Judge of a Small Claims Court, La Vega, Dominican Republic. My wife is Dominican and she is from La Vega. I have reached out to DOWS via e-mail last year, explaining my interest in becoming a member, but nobody ever got back to me. I realize that I am not Dominican, however, I have alot of knowledge about the country and society in DR. I have worked on Wall Street for over 6 years now, and I think I can help your cause. Any information would be greatly appreciated. Let me name a few things you might remember: Hotel Rey on calle restaurancion, a small campo calle Arenoso, restaurante induveca. They should all ring a bell. Let me know. Thanks.

hi-tec

Jun 15, 2004
I am glad they are active, I visited their site and tried to contact DOWS years ago but dont rebember getting a response...

playing in the stock market provides a good, current and practical overview of the economy

priji

Nov 13, 2007
Dominicans on Wall Street (DOWS)
is a non-partisan organization which serves as a preeminent network and forum of discussion for financial market matters as they relate to the Dominican Republic and Dominican Americans. DOWS serves its members through networking opportunities, national and international seminars focused on key financial market issues, and mentoring programs seeking the educational advancement of students of Dominican descent.

tflea

Bronze
Jun 11, 2006
Real Numbers

Would any of you DOWS members have actual numbers and/or viewpoints on the recent economic downturn effect on remittances back to the DR? Local reporting has not been so reliable. Thanking you in advance..

jartherrera

May 22, 2006
Remittances

I have not seen any hard data on 2008 (will probably come out at the end of the year), but the change from 2007 will be sharp. In the last couple years growth was over 5% per year. I wouldnt be surprised if 2008 ends up showing no growth or even some contraction.

BrigidaKlein

Oct 7, 2008
Dows - I sent in my paperwork to become a member a while ago and haven't heard back. Would love to contribute to the best of my capabilities. I am a CPA/MST practicing in the US, a tax generalist by nature, but have recently been dealing with corporate taxation and high net worth individuals.

Looking forward to joining such a dynamic group as DR1s. I can't believe Junot Diaz actually referred to DR1 in "Oscar Wao"...then again I can beleive it. Just so you know my once or twice removed to fame is the fact that I went to same high school as Lin Manuel (Hunter College HS in NYC), as in the producer, writer, actor of "In The Heights". I saw it even before I knew he was involved - terrific show!!!

HB - I feel like I know you. I've been a side line spectator for years now but never had the guts or time to chime in, fearing that I would never stop. Looking forward to participating more, time permiting.

Best,

Bridget