Food in Sosua

Status
Not open for further replies.

trebex

May 12, 2006
Where is the "local food" is Sosua? So far all I see is German food, Scandinavian food (whatever that may be) and overpriced tourist places. Where do the locals eat?

HOWMAR

Silver
Jan 28, 2004
trebex said:
Where is the "local food" is Sosua? So far all I see is German food, Scandinavian food (whatever that may be) and overpriced tourist places. Where do the locals eat?
Do you mean local Dominicans or local expats? BTW, you obviously haven't read about or ignored the reasonably priced tourist places.

HOWMAR

Silver
Jan 28, 2004
The push cart on the corner of Pedro Clisante and Dr. Rosen. Best pork sandwich in the DR.

Tamborista

hasta la tambora
Apr 4, 2005
I beg to differ, the guy across the street from Plaza Sosua/Domino's makes a better sandwich. He claims it's chicken, I think its puerco.

I may open a hot a Corned Beef/Pastrami cart for you soon!
' just have to get the ok to use The Stage Deli name.

How much money you think I will lose on that endeavour?

Tamborista

hasta la tambora
Apr 4, 2005
Go to Susannas for decent comida criolla, I think plato de dia is 100 pesos.
Try Charamicos.

SKY

Gold
Apr 11, 2004
For Pollo a la Carbon, on Pedro Clisante just before supermarket Zollo on the same side there is a large outdoor place. I had a half chicken with a large beer for 160RD. As good as any on the North Coast. I don’t know the price of the chicken as there is no menu. But for this price with a large beer, you are in heaven.

But if you are going to eat there bring your own knife and fork as you will only get a plastic fork which will not be much good. A lot of people take the food out.

This place has just opened recently.

tarrantino

Jan 12, 2006
trebex said:

Trebex,

I ahve been asking this question a lot. With all of the replies,now it looks like there a few places I can try for "local food"

trebex

May 12, 2006
Well so far I have seen little in the way of local food, mostly tourist places serving German or Italian food. I went to Las Chamaricas (?) twice today. There are plenty of cafeterias and every one of them was closed. I was there around 2 PM and again around 8. I ended up having some fried chicken and spaghetti that had probably been sitting there all day.

Where can you get rice and beans, or empanadas or even fresh pineapples?

susy

Sep 30, 2004
comidor mami e juan

It's right along the main road close to the supermarket. it's across from the bomba. They sell alot of the local food. Mangu, fried chicken, coleslaw salad, plantaine, rice with bean sauce. I notice alot of the locals go there to eat. They got some other food there that i don't know what it's called. The price is cheap too. You can eat like a champ for under $200 pesos.

G

gary short

susy said:
It's right along the main road close to the supermarket. it's across from the bomba. They sell alot of the local food. Mangu, fried chicken, coleslaw salad, plantaine, rice with bean sauce. I notice alot of the locals go there to eat. They got some other food there that i don't know what it's called. The price is cheap too. You can eat like a champ for under $200 pesos.
You can eat like a champ for 60-80 pesos.

duhtree

Jun 2, 2003
Take a walk on the beach. All the Dominicans eat between 11 and 1. They get their food from little kitchens BEHIND the bars and restaurants. A lot of restaurants serve food that's prepared in these same kitchens. Buy a fresh caught fish and have them make some pago frito w/ ensalada& tostados. Any problem? The brittania pub. They have a " dominican lunch special " every day that's amazing. Don't linger. No matter how they try by 12:30 it's all gone. Any time you see a sign for san cocho stop.
I agree though, it's not easy to find traditional dominican food. Most of Sosua caters to the tourists not the Dominicans.

Status
Not open for further replies.