Money in the DR

A

Alex

What is best: taking Canadian$ or buying and taking US$. Using US$ in the DR or converting to DR pesos. Using credit cards in the DR or getting cash at ATM machines (I guess that's pesos). Where do you exchange money to DR pesos.

J

Jodi

I usually take about $20 US...$10 is for the departure tax, the other $10 in small bills is for fun money at the airport at departure (at Las Americas airport once you're in the customs cleared area they only take US money).

You can change your Canadian money into pesos at the airport, at Western Union shops around the country and at banks and most major hotels. I generally take a little cash then rely mostly on ATM's...12 trips and no problems yet! The Canadian $/Dominican peso conversion is usually around $1 = 10 pesos so it's pretty easy to figure out prices.

Have a great trip!

L

Lyse

Last November, I had a beer and lunch in the customs cleared area (Las Americas) and I paid in Dom. pesos. I just told the guy I'd prefer to pay in pesos if it's possible. The answer was "No problema".

As for the duty free shops, I think you are right, the prices are only listed in US$, I charged it up to my credit card and it was in US$.

J

Jim Hinsch

Re: Money after clearing immigration on departure

There isn't a customs cleared area at Las Americas for departures. Customs only applies to arrival.

US dollars and Dominican pesos are both equally accepted in Las Americas Airport after clearing immigration. Your change will be in the same type of currency used to make the purchase. This applies to food as well as duty free items.

Don't forget that you can also purchase duty free items on arrival before clearing immigration. I often purchase a bottle of liquor or a gift while passing by on the way to immigration. It is cheaper than the duty free shops at Newark, JFK, San Juan, or Miami and more convenient too.

Jim Hinsch JimHinsch@CSI.COM

R

Rasta Man

Before you pass customs leaving. Change your money first. If you do get stuck after you have passed customs. Some merchents will exchange the money for you.

J

Jim Hinsch

>> Before you pass customs leaving. Change your money first. <<

Mr. Rasta Man:

One does not pass customs while leaving. Customs is arrival only.

You can exchange Dominican pesos for US dollars at Miami, Newark, San Juan, and JFK airport cash exchange booths.

Jim Hinsch JimHinsch@CSI.COM