is it hard to find a decent paying job

sobeana

May 20, 2006
Hi all, I'd like to know if I can legally work in the DR. I am american born, no dominican residency. How hard is it to find an administrative assistant job that pays decent? i'd like to move there but a little worried about making ends meet

Ken

Platinum
Jan 1, 2002
Are you of Dominican descent? Not clear from your description of yourself.

Do you speak fluent Spanish?

Wages here are lower than where you live and, if you come here looking for work, you will be in competition with Dominicans. The salary you will be offered, if hired, will likely look very low to you, but might sound pretty good to a Dominican.

If you have special skills, etc., you can negotiate for a higher pay. But since you are looking for an administrative assistant job, you are likely to be paid on the local pay scale.

Squat

Tropical geek in Las Terrenas
Jan 1, 2002
-"is it hard to find a decent paying job ?
-yes, it is..."

sobeana

May 20, 2006
Thanks for responding.

I am of cuban descent. Fluent in spanish and speak perfect english. My biggest concern is being able to find work not having a cedula.

HOWMAR

Silver
Jan 28, 2004
sobeana said:
Hi all, I'd like to know if I can legally work in the DR. I am american born, no dominican residency. How hard is it to find an administrative assistant job that pays decent? i'd like to move there but a little worried about making ends meet
Thanks for responding.

sobeana said:
I am of cuban descent. Fluent in spanish and speak perfect english. My biggest concern is being able to find work not having a cedula.

The answer simply is you cannot work legally in the DR without a cedula. Any job you get will be one in which the employer doesn't recognize you as an employee. These are mostly commission paying jobs in the tourism sector.