The Wyndhams in Samana

dcareamama

Jul 22, 2004
Hi all,
We are coming down for a relative's wedding in mid July and would like to spend a few days in Samana. We honeymooned there 8 years ago so we are familiar with the area.

Right now, we are leaning towards booking with Villa Serena. However, we are now intrigued by the Wyndham Viva Resort in Playa Coson. Even though we are not all-inclusive kind of people, this resort seems to be rather smaller (for the DR) and quite. We do like the fact that it is kid friendly. We have a 3 year old and a 1 year old now so we have to take that into consideration.

I have a few questions.

I have not found many reviews of this resort. Can anyone provide any feedback?

How is Playa Coson? Is it a shallow beach, safe for swimming with kids?

We usually travel by Metro bus when in the DR. I was unable to find Metro's schedule online. Can anyone post a link or their travel times to Samana?

Finally, what about Bahia Estela, the other Wyndham property? Is this hotel opened yet?

Thanks in advance!

mountainfrog

On Vacation!
Dec 8, 2003
www.domrep-info.com
Saman?

dcareamama said:
I have not found many reviews of this resort. Can anyone provide any feedback?

How is Playa Coson? Is it a shallow beach, safe for swimming with kids?
We've had visiting friends stay there and they did really like it.
The resort is outside Las Terrenas (approx. 4 km), but it's now a tarmac road.

dcareamama said:
... I was unable to find Metro's schedule online. Can anyone post a link or their travel times to Samana?
Depending where you arrive you may find CT helpful:
http://www.caribetours.com.do/
There is no schedule for POP - Saman? though.

m'frog

Dolores1

DR1
May 3, 2000
www.
Both Bahia Estela and Viva Resort Samana are located at Playa Cozon, which is a wavy beach, usually my recommendation for teenagers that enjoy body surfing and wave riding. This is not your shallow, tranquil beach. In the area, though, there are tranquil beaches, such as Playa Bonita and Las Terrenas, a short drive away.

The hotels are children-friendly and have children-friendly pools.

http://dr1.com/directories/hotels/viva_samana.shtml
http://dr1.com/directories/hotels/viva_bahia_estela.shtml

Villa Serena information is at http://dr1.com/directories/hotels/villa_serena.shtml

dcareamama

Jul 22, 2004
Dolores said:
Both Bahia Estela and Viva Resort Samana are located at Playa Cozon, which is a wavy beach, usually my recommendation for teenagers that enjoy body surfing and wave riding. This is not your shallow, tranquil beach. In the area, though, there are tranquil beaches, such as Playa Bonita and Las Terrenas, a short drive away.

The hotels are children-friendly and have children-friendly pools.

http://dr1.com/directories/hotels/viva_samana.shtml
http://dr1.com/directories/hotels/viva_bahia_estela.shtml

Thanks Dolores. I am a bit confused. So, Bahia Estela is indeed opened? Wyndham people say Bahia Estela is not opened yet.

jaguarbob

Bronze
Mar 2, 2004
wyndham

dcareamama said:
Thanks Dolores. I am a bit confused. So, Bahia Estela is indeed opened? Wyndham people say Bahia Estela is not opened yet.

just remember Wyndham is a long way from Samana
bob

gagilmer

Jul 12, 2005
Viva review from last summer

We stayed there last summer. End of July beginning of August. Below is copied from the resort review that I posted. Enjoy the trip! GG

Wyndham Viva Samana?Las Terrenas?.actually Coson Beach:
All-in-all?a really nice experience. Got there late on Friday
having booked a standard room. Either they had lots of
open space or just the opposite and all standards were full
because we were immediately upgraded to a Junior Suite.
This is a significant upgrade because the suites are duplex
cabanas rather than hotel-style rooms. After 3 nights we
made a comment to the English-speaking concierge Jennifer (a mighty fine young lady in every way) that the A/C unit was
making a rather loud clunking noise at times. That evening
we were moved to a nicer Junior Suite that was front-line to
the beautiful beach! The food in the buffet restaurant was
OK?nothing to brag about?then again this stay shouldn?t
be about the food. Oscar, (the manager?) of the Cacao was
Great! Much like Jennifer?he went above and beyond the
the call to make our stay most pleasant. The other two restaurants were also OK. Again?you?re not here for great food! Room was nice. Recently renovated and obviously done quickly and on a budget. Not spectacular quality but considering the staff, location, and views?it is well worth the cost! Never got around to seeing any of the shows?can?t comment on them. In summary?the BEACH IS GREAT?the STAFF IS GREAT?the food is OK?I?D GO BACK WITHOUT HESITATION!!

dcareamama

Jul 22, 2004
Thanks gaglimer for the wonderful review. Sounds really nice. I think we have decided to stay at Villa Serena, afterall.

gagilmer said:
We stayed there last summer. End of July beginning of August. Below is copied from the resort review that I posted. Enjoy the trip! GG

Wyndham Viva Samana?Las Terrenas?.actually Coson Beach:
All-in-all?a really nice experience. Got there late on Friday
having booked a standard room. Either they had lots of
open space or just the opposite and all standards were full
because we were immediately upgraded to a Junior Suite.
This is a significant upgrade because the suites are duplex
cabanas rather than hotel-style rooms. After 3 nights we
made a comment to the English-speaking concierge Jennifer (a mighty fine young lady in every way) that the A/C unit was
making a rather loud clunking noise at times. That evening
we were moved to a nicer Junior Suite that was front-line to
the beautiful beach! The food in the buffet restaurant was
OK?nothing to brag about?then again this stay shouldn?t
be about the food. Oscar, (the manager?) of the Cacao was
Great! Much like Jennifer?he went above and beyond the
the call to make our stay most pleasant. The other two restaurants were also OK. Again?you?re not here for great food! Room was nice. Recently renovated and obviously done quickly and on a budget. Not spectacular quality but considering the staff, location, and views?it is well worth the cost! Never got around to seeing any of the shows?can?t comment on them. In summary?the BEACH IS GREAT?the STAFF IS GREAT?the food is OK?I?D GO BACK WITHOUT HESITATION!!