Want Warehouse/Factory to Lease?

thomp95

May 23, 2006
Hello all, hope someone can help me here.

-Will be in D.R. in two weeks to search for a 1500 - 2500 Sq. Ft. facility.
-Warehouse/Factory to Lease/rent.
-Please advise of any GOOD Realtors of commercial facilities???
-Will soon be importing complete stock of products and will immediately need relatively secure inventory storage facility.
-Needs phone access and generator.
-Am fairly open to location, hopefully near or between Santo Domingo/ Santiago route.
-Please advise soon, thank you all.

I can assist you with your engineering related questions as well!

GringoCArlos

Retired Ussername
Jan 9, 2002
The DR seems to be different. There aren't really "commercial" brokers that deal strictly with industrial spaces / warehouses.

The easiest way would be to come to Santo Domingo, get a feel for where you want to be, and then start looking for signs. If a space is for rent, it will usually have the telephone number of the owner's attorney, who represents them. You could spend a week doing this, and it would be worth doing as your education.

Another source for rentals in the Santo Domingo area is the Monday edition of the Listin Diario want ad section. (ask Hillbilly what's best for Santiago area). The want ads have a separate section for "naves" , described in sq meters (1 meter = 10.75 sq ft). with telephone numbers. This past Monday's edition has a few that size for between RD$33,000 and RD$50,000 a month rent.

Also, 150 or 200 meters is not that big of a space for a warehouse/plant here in the DR, so it may be harder than finding a space of 800 or 1000 meters.

Typically you will sign a minimum 1 year lease (up to 3 or 5 years, with a renewal clause), and have to pay 3 or 4 months rent upfront. Their lawyer typically will get one month as his commission on the deal, and for him doing the rental contract. You will need personal ID, all corporate documents, and probably 3 good references. It would be easier to first have a local bank account established.

As far as 'engineering', whatever space you find is likely to be nothing more than the stripped down walls. Whatever isn't fastened down will have been carried off by either the last tenant, or the owner who finished stripping it down, and selling whatever they could sell. I'm not kidding. Everything. It's a dominican thing whether in an apartment or a building, it will be stripped.

As well. whenever you give back the space at the end of your lease, you are allowed to 'strip' it and sell off whatever you don't want or don't need. If you don't do it, the owner will, before renting to another party.

You will have to get an idea of what will fit your needs, and then hire out whatever alterations you need. A/C, electrical, bathrooms, lighting, security gates, electrical plant and anything else. But this part is usually much cheaper that other countries to get it done.

You may send me a P.M. if you want , and I'll give you more advice or direction if I can.

Good luck.

thomp95

May 23, 2006
Thanks Hillbilly. So from all of your experiences are there any real benefits to paying to search for locations with a Realtor or can you produce the same results on your own? *Note: we do speak decent Spanish and are fairly familiar with the areas.

GringoCArlos

Retired Ussername
Jan 9, 2002
It may be best for you to do some legwork looking for places that interest you, and then use your own dominican attorney to make the phone calls to the numbers you have collected, get an idea of the features of the property and the rent #, etc to weed out buildings that won't meet your criteria (such as no loading docks, etc). Once you have a few likely prospective locations, then set up a viewing, bringing along your attorney.

By doing it in this way, the owner / owner's attorney won't know they are dealing with foreigners before they disclose the rent figure they are offering, (as long as you also trust your own attorney) and it may save you some $$ every month. You could also expect to pay your attorney a month's worth as a commission, as well as reviewing the rental contract on your behalf, before signing anything.

You can contact Fabio Guzman here on DR1 via the 'Legal" section, and he would be a good choice for legal advice.