A book on Sosua...

Berzin

Banned
Nov 17, 2004
In all the time I have been a member of DR1 I have never heard anyone on this forum mention a book called...

"Whats' Love Got To Do With It?-Transnational desires and sex tourism in the Dominican Republic" by Denise Brennan.

I just finished reading it and even for a person like me who has been to the island quite a few times(and to Sosua 3 times) this was a very sobering account of the whole sex tourism business and how and why it developed in Sosua of all places. This little town is world famous for its role in the global sex tourism scene and the authors' accounts of the dominican girls' aspirations and motivations make for a very interesting read.

The reason why I mention this is because there are those of us who keep short or long-term relationships with dominican girls whenever we go. It was very sobering to read about their collective social and romantic entanglements and the short-sightedness with which they handle their side of a long-distance relationships.

I recommend this book because as a person who has dated dominican girls who were not in the sex trade(and a few who were) I found myself amused and quite taken aback by the similarities. For anyone who does'nt know or thinks they know please read this book. It will definitely open your eyes about attempting to date a dominincana. Even if the girl in question is not a whore it will help you understand that what they consider love is very different from anything you think it is.

rellosk

Silver
Mar 18, 2002
Sound like it should be an interesting read, especially since the author is an anthropologist.

M.A.R.

Silver
Feb 18, 2006
rellosk said:
Sound like it should be an interesting read, especially since the author is an anthropologist.

and a foreigner??? what does she know about dominican love?

drmissy

Aug 31, 2005
Berzin said:
In all the time I have been a member of DR1 I have never heard anyone on this forum mention a book called...

"Whats' Love Got To Do With It?-Transnational desires and sex tourism in the Dominican Republic" by Denise Brennan.

I just finished reading it and even for a person like me who has been to the island quite a few times(and to Sosua 3 times) this was a very sobering account of the whole sex tourism business and how and why it developed in Sosua of all places. This little town is world famous for its role in the global sex tourism scene and the authors' accounts of the dominican girls' aspirations and motivations make for a very interesting read.

The reason why I mention this is because there are those of us who keep short or long-term relationships with dominican girls whenever we go. It was very sobering to read about their collective social and romantic entanglements and the short-sightedness with which they handle their side of a long-distance relationships.

I recommend this book because as a person who has dated dominican girls who were not in the sex trade(and a few who were) I found myself amused and quite taken aback by the similarities. For anyone who does'nt know or thinks they know please read this book. It will definitely open your eyes about attempting to date a dominincana. Even if the girl in question is not a whore it will help you understand that what they consider love is very different from anything you think it is.

Berzin,

It is indeed very surprising that no one has ever brought up this book. I actually came across this book earlier this year. I was doing a university research paper which mimics the content of what goes on in the DR. Although, I only had time to skim through a few pages, I also found it very informative.

Ladies..there is even a section for all you sankie lovers...lol

~drmissy~

Nini

Jul 28, 2005
Pretty sure she knows a lot.

M.A.R. said:
and a foreigner??? what does she know about dominican love?

Anthropologist's study a culture for an extensive period of time. They go as far as living in the country, tribe, etc. for years (perhaps even as long as some of you expats), they learn the language and live a daily life so that their research will be as unbias as possible. They're studies are detailed and for the most part quite accurate. Who knows, maybe she dated a sankie for research.:cool:

nini

vdubman

Nov 29, 2004
yeah i remember Frans(W.S.A.) mentioned this book awhile,awhile back interesting read..

JRR

Dec 9, 2004
Wow!

This was not the thread I thought it was going to be but as long as I got sucked in,I am goign to start a new thread,

What is the Dominican woman's defintion of love?

JRR

helpmann

On Vacation!
May 18, 2004
Denise Brennan = Anna C???

Interesting... I wonder if Denise Brennan is an active member of DR1...

Maybe Anna C. has been moonlighting as an anthropologist all these years.

...my 2nd guess is AZB!

-Helpmann :laugh:

Last edited:

Berzin

Banned
Nov 17, 2004
JRR said:
This was not the thread I thought it was going to be but as long as I got sucked in,I am goign to start a new thread,

What is the Dominican woman's defintion of love?

JRR

The person who wrote the book visited from 1993 to 2003. As far as I'm concerned, she lets these girls off the hook with their outrageous antics, preferring to label them as helpless victims of a thirld world economy who happened to get caught in the whirlwind of the transnational sex trade because they need to survive.

I of course think this is total and complete BS, though I can see the validity to some of her points. Maybe it was like that when she started her research, but it is not like that now.

She lets the girls off the hook in the sense that they lead totally amoral lives and she never calls them on it. Within this community, anything is acceptable. What do I mean by this?

1) Dominicans having "novias" in the sex trade, letting them go off to visit their tourist boyfriends for the duration of their stays and having no problems with them getting married to men they do not love and relocating to another country.

2) These girls having unprotected sex with dominican men who they HAVE to know cannot and will not provide for their children, thus escalating this whole pathetic cycle and then expecting some tourist to pay for everything they need to live well.

3) This whole nonsense of the girls getting into sex work because of their devotion to their kids. Their idea of raising kids is based on someone, ANYONE who happens to be available that very second to watch the kids while they are off whoring. So much for family values.

My perception of a poor dominican womans' idea of love(based on what I read in this book) is having some stupid gringo saving them from themselves. And the constant, relentless demands for money because they think every tourist is made out of gold.