Continental Airlines has won two major awards!

Robert

Stay Frosty!
Jan 2, 1999
dr1.com
LONDON, May 19, 2006 ? Continental Airlines (NYSE: CAL) has won two major awards in the OAG Airline of the Year Awards 2006.
Continental won ?Best Executive/Business Class? for the fourth year in a row. This award recognizes the excellent comfort, service and value of BusinessFirst, available on many international flights.
Continental also won ?Best Airline Based in North America? for the third year in a row.

The awards are based on votes by frequent flyers around the world who subscribe to OAG print and electronic travel information products. Tim Kennedy, Continental?s Managing Director Sales & Marketing ? Europe, Middle East & India, accepted the awards on behalf of the airline at a ceremony at the Grosvenor House Hotel in London.

At the same ceremony, OAG?s Outstanding Service Award 2006 was presented to Maria Benson, Manager of Continental?s ?We Care? program, in recognition of her dedication and inspiring leadership in helping fellow employees who were victims of Hurricane Katrina, which devastated New Orleans last year.

?We?re extremely proud of Maria as she wins this award because she truly exemplifies the ?Working Together? spirit that is so unique to the culture of Continental,? said Larry Kellner, Continental?s chairman and CEO.

Continental Airlines is the world?s sixth-largest airline. Continental, together with Continental Express and Continental Connection, has more than 3,200 daily departures throughout the Americas, Europe and Asia, serving 151 domestic and 137 international destinations. More than 400 additional points are served via SkyTeam alliance airlines. With more than 42,000 employees, Continental has hubs serving New York, Houston, Cleveland and Guam, and together with Continental Express, carries approximately 61 million passengers per year. Continental consistently earns awards and critical acclaim for both its operation and its corporate culture.

For the third consecutive year, FORTUNE magazine named Continental the No. 1 Most Admired Global Airline on its 2006 list of Most Admired Global Companies.

oxfordny

Jul 6, 2005
I agree with Nyedan...for those of us that live in NYC is an inconvenience having to go to Newark, NJ but yeah...DR is well worth the inconvenience

sweetdbt

Bronze
Sep 17, 2004
Nothing personal but...........

oxfordny said:
I agree with Nyedan...for those of us that live in NYC is an inconvenience having to go to Newark, NJ but yeah...DR is well worth the inconvenience

You whining New Yorkers make me want to GAG!!!:bunny:

You have multiple direct flight options to multiple DR destinations for about half the price those of us in many other locations in the Eastern US pay, and you're crying about having to go all the way to NEWARK for a Continental flight!!

I live in VIRGINIA, and more than one vacation I found myself seriously considering driving from HERE (8 hours) to JFK or EWR because the fare was so much less. It was never worth the expensive parking, gas and depreciation on my car, time and effort. So I pay 50-100% more and fly out of Raleigh, sometimes having to connect through JFK or EWR, and sometimes San Juan as well.

No real complaints though. I have to admit every trip has been worth it.

oxfordny

Jul 6, 2005
get real...who's whinning here...the fact is that in NYC everything is available...trains, buses, etc... therefore, having to drive to Newark or get someone to take you (is an inconvenience) knowing that we have 2 huge airports in NYC - makes you wonder why continental doesn't have a hub at JFK...As a New Yorker - its all about convenience...

Tamborista

hasta la tambora
Apr 4, 2005
True dat!

Would you like some CHEESE with that WHINE?

I make to EWR in less time than JFK every time.
It costs the same $45 for Car Service to either airport from Manhattan.
I have no need to stress out sitting in traffic on The Van Wyck EXP.

rellosk

Silver
Mar 18, 2002
oxfordny said:
knowing that we have 2 huge airports in NYC - makes you wonder why continental doesn't have a hub at JFK...
As far as NY goes, CO does have lots of flights out of LGA (just not to the DR).

Jan 5, 2006
The main problem with CO is the airplanes that they use flying to DR. Dammed things are flying pencils with no room! If you're flying to Europe, that's a whole different story. The best, nicest airplanes I've ever been on; hands down! CO's timeliness and on-board service is better than AA, but for those that travel with checked-in luggage, CO is usually a nightmare, because your luggage is very likely to be left behind.

Getting to EWR from anywhere in the city is not really that bad, as you have to take into account that traffic in/and around LGA and JFK is usually a lot worse and that aggravation compensates for the extra 5 or 6 miles of distance to EWR.

agonza05

May 25, 2006
OnePass has earned many awards, but for me it IS the best!!You earn miles that dont expire and if you are an elite you get the same amount of miles plus a mileage bonus which makes it easier to keep you status!!

ElvisNYC

Jan 27, 2006
agonza05 said:
OnePass has earned many awards, but for me it IS the best!!You earn miles that dont expire and if you are an elite you get the same amount of miles plus a mileage bonus which makes it easier to keep you status!!

It's quite hard (limited) to redeem miles for a lot of destinations, unless you are elite !

Mileage bonuses do not count toward status miles, unless you are flying first/business/full fare !

If you do not buy thru Continental.com, and are buying a discount coach fare, you are entitled to 50% of those status miles - not 100 % !

777-200

Jan 25, 2004
CO is the Best Airlines flying to DR

Ok lets clear some issues here. All airlines flying to DR have the same problem with the baggage. If you fly in high season you will have the same problem in any airline you fly. So is not an exclusive CO problem it is a market problem.

I regards of the airplanes CO have one the most moderm fleet of all airlines. They fly to SDQ a boeing 757 very new airplane, new interiors, nice music, TV and VERY CLEAN. Same for the rest of the DR they use 737-700/800 also very new and very nice.

It is great to see that CO have won this award. Go CO.

aegap

Silver
Mar 19, 2005
sweetdbt said:
I live in VIRGINIA, and more than one vacation I found myself seriously considering driving from HERE (8 hours) to JFK or EWR because the fare was so much less. It was never worth the expensive parking, gas and depreciation on my car, time and effort. So I pay 50-100% more and fly out of Raleigh, sometimes having to connect through JFK or EWR, and sometimes San Juan as well.

No real complaints though. I have to admit every trip has been worth it.

United Airlines now flies direct to DR from Virginia. at great prices

rellosk

Silver
Mar 18, 2002
ElvisNYC said:
It's quite hard (limited) to redeem miles for a lot of destinations, unless you are elite !
That's the biggest problem with their program, redeeming mileage at the standard award level is difficult. Having an Elite status doesn't seem to help.

rellosk

Silver
Mar 18, 2002
777-200 said:
Ok lets clear some issues here. All airlines flying to DR have the same problem with the baggage. If you fly in high season you will have the same problem in any airline you fly. So is not an exclusive CO problem it is a market problem.
You hit that nail on the head.

BTW, the years that CO was flying 767's during peak season seemed to alleviate the dropped luggage problem.

Jan 5, 2006
The luggage issues with CO are not limited to peak season, but are a continuous problem, at least for the EWR-STI route. I can not comment on issues at the other airports (SDQ, POP, PUJ).

agonza05

May 25, 2006
If you live in Midtown Manhattan you can use the AirTrain which will get you to Penn Station NY in 20 minutes or so and will only cost you US$14 each way...no traffic...no tunnel congestion!!!