Cooks
Registered Nurses
Cement Finishers
Automotive
Healthcare

AnnaC

Gold
Jan 2, 2002
Very good list Rina but here's the catch 22.

Some of those positions that require a license/papers by the unions or provinces will have to take the course or write the exam all over again when they reach Canada. Equivalency test. That's why most professionals drive taxis even if they were doctors in their own country.

curlyq

Mar 20, 2006
This is an unfortunate fact in Canada, which is ashame because we are in much need of these professionals, and they are wasting their skills at menial jobs. At the same time as our health care system is failing our doctors are leaving the country to pursue offers elsewhere. Doesn't a doctor trained in the Middle East or Europe have the same skills to save lives as a doctor in Canada?

trina

Silver
Jan 3, 2002
curlyq said:
This is an unfortunate fact in Canada, which is ashame because we are in much need of these professionals, and they are wasting their skills at menial jobs. At the same time as our health care system is failing our doctors are leaving the country to pursue offers elsewhere. Doesn't a doctor trained in the Middle East or Europe have the same skills to save lives as a doctor in Canada?

To me, as long as they could communicate effectively and know all the medical terms in English, as well as being familiar with many common ailments to our country, there should be an equivalency exam where they shouldn't have to go through the hoops of starting at square one. Our doctors should have the opportunity to make the same kind of $$$ as doctors in the US, but for that to happen, realistically, we'd need to privatize Health Care, and on a large-scale, I don't think anyone wants that. I do believe that private clinics should be available so that those that can afford it can pay to have medical work done faster, giving a break to those that cannot afford it by freeing up space in the public sector.

MommC

On Vacation!
Mar 2, 2002
dr1.com
There is much waste in our system in Canada and many 'interest' groups that exert too much control, however I must agree that those who can afford to pay for private care should be able to 'purchase at a premium' faster service which many indeed do by going to other countries (such as the US or DR).
Beats the heck out of me why I can't pay a 'private' facility for an MRI or CT scan in Canada but I can fly to Florida for $99. and have one done there the same day.
As for the list of needed workers....notice that many of them are skilled professions or trades and most Dominicans who would want to emigrate wouldn't qualify!
Many years ago we 'sponsored' relatives from Italy wanting to emigrate to Canada and even tho' one had a skilled trade that was in demand on the 'list' at that time we still had to advertise the position for one full year across Canada before the relative was given permission to 'land' in Canada!

G

gary short

Listen up......when the Canadian government won't adequately fund public health care and people like you have to resort to private clinics. There is a problam with...............WHO YOU VOTED FOR............SO DON'T B!TCH!!!!!!!

katty

Mar 14, 2003
can I get me a job in Canada

WTF
I want a goog job too.
And I got all the qaulifications

G

gary short

OK katty what is it that you've got all the qualifications for?

G

gary short

Rina2 said:
Here is the list of HIGH DEMAND JOBS FOR FOREIGN WORKERS by Immigration Canada:

Roofers & Shinglers
Chefs
Carpenters
Cabinetmakers
Tool & Die Makers
Bricklayers
Construction
Welders

Mining Engineers
Oil & Gas Workers
Mechanical Engineers
Cooks
Registered Nurses
Cement Finishers
Automotive
Healthcare
Prime Ministers

AnnaC

Gold
Jan 2, 2002
I really don't think this thread was started for a place to bitch about the Canadian government but rather to provide some info.

Fiesta Mama

Bronze
Jan 28, 2004
The reality...

My husband graduated from high school and took a two year course to become an electrician in the DR. He had several years' work experience and a college diploma when he arrived in Canada but that really meant nothing. After a year of studying English in Canada he had to go to a COSTI centre in Toronto and write a trade equivalency test. Despite his credentials, his experience and his learned English, he did not pass the test by about 5% points (you need 70% to pass. The problem was his English is not quite fluent enough to write a test here to understand the lingo in his trade and also the fact that our regulations re the electrical trades are much stricter than what he was used to. Despite this, he obtained another job making great money but still hopes to re-write the test once he perfects his English and learns more of the requirements here in Canada (you can call the testing authority for each specific trade to get a study guide).

I disagree with people who say the test is too hard. Canada has much stricter guidelines than in the DR or other countries and applicants should have to meet the same requirements that a Canadian canidate would have to meet. I mean, I have see electricians putting in new wires in the DR using an aluminum ladder accross a pool to access wires above. I certainly wouldn't want my husband to think this was safe practice to use here! He agrees and is willing to put in the work required to equalize his education and so should other trades, professionals immigrating to Canada. I agree that language can be a barrier but everyone needs to pass the necessary tests to make their practice in Canada safe to the citizens they service!