Dominicans In Scandanavian Countries.. Visa Hardships?

boogieman

Mar 30, 2006
i know canada and the u.s are very apprehensive about issuing visas to dominicans.. at least at the present time.

but curious if any dominicans immigrated succesfully to scandanavian countries (SWEDEN, NORWAY, DENMARK, FINLAND) and if yes, how easy/hard was it to obtain the visa.

drbill

Dec 3, 2005
are you kidding?

The Scandinavian countries you mention actually pay Dominican immigrants BIG BUCKS just to show up!

With the weather (wet and chilly), the languages (vowel-ridden with funny accent marks to boot), the food (strictly fish by-products), and the complete lack of silly smiles in general, just about NOBODY wants to go there.

The Scandinavian governments got together last year and approved a new incentive program that provides about U$8,000 a week for any Dominican completing 6 consecutive weeks residency, along with the offer of a small-but-decent house, a sharp car and unlimited cell phone minutes for life.

Yes, it's true that Canada and the U.S. are apprehensive about issuing visas to
Dominicans, but Scandinavian countries are just BEGGING for ANYONE AT ALL to come and say "hola" and stick around for a while.

United Nations statistics indicate that as many as 5 Dominicans have visited a Scandinavian country in the last 19 years and that all returned to Quisqueya gratefully.

Chareena

Apr 3, 2004
janssoncarina.blogspot.com
drbill said:
With the weather (wet and chilly), the languages (vowel-ridden with funny accent marks to boot), the food (strictly fish by-products), and the complete lack of silly smiles in general, just about NOBODY wants to go there..

Wet and chilly is not even close to describe the weather here in Scandinavia. We have to put up with 6 months of green winter and 6 months of white winter. Yes, there is a lack of silly smiles. People don't feel like smiling when all their time and efforts goes to chopping wood to be able to heat the houses and not freeze to death. No wonder NOBODY wants to come here. ;)

Everybody here dreams about moving to the warm and nice D.R. :ermm: At least I am dreaming about it.

POP Bad Boy

Bronze
Jun 27, 2004
Are you serious???

drbill said:
The Scandinavian countries you mention actually pay Dominican immigrants BIG BUCKS just to show up!

With the weather (wet and chilly), the languages (vowel-ridden with funny accent marks to boot), the food (strictly fish by-products), and the complete lack of silly smiles in general, just about NOBODY wants to go there.

The Scandinavian governments got together last year and approved a new incentive program that provides about U$8,000 a week for any Dominican completing 6 consecutive weeks residency, along with the offer of a small-but-decent house, a sharp car and unlimited cell phone minutes for life.

Dominicans, but Scandinavian countries are just BEGGING for ANYONE AT ALL to come and say "hola" and stick around for a while.

United Nations statistics indicate that as many as 5 Dominicans have visited a Scandinavian country in the last 19 years and that all returned to Quisqueya gratefully.

...........cause I know a few Dominicans that would be willing to try...........Where can they get info??? lol

qgrande

Bronze
Jul 27, 2005
I thought the first thing Dominicans do when to go to some cold country is take pictures of themselves in the snow and send them home. They must like snow There's plenty in Scandinavia (as well as a pretty solid welfare system to be kept happy in other ways).

DR Mpe

Banned
Mar 31, 2003
drbill said:

Yeah right, you are so right...NOT. Ignorant american giving his opinion??? It is very hard to get a VISA to these countries. EU, if the country in question do not have an embassy, i.e. Sweden, you have to go to the Spanish embassy. I say it is harder to get a Visa to EU than to the U.S, by experience... Imagine.

DR Mpe

Banned
Mar 31, 2003
drbill said:

hmmm sry for my latest post. Too small screen to see the last part.... missed the irony. Good one :eek:

carina

Silver
Mar 13, 2005
It is VERY hard to get a visa ( visitors visa ), at least to Sweden, where I come from. To immigrate, even harder.
Basically the system in Sweden is simular to the Canadian system. You have to have proof of relationship, duration of relationship, validity of it. Proof that you are financially stabile. Etc etc.

Ginger Meggs

Mar 22, 2004
Any Dominicans in Sweden?
My sister will be moving to Lund, Sweden this month.
Any advice out there? What to expect, do or not do? What to bring or not to bring?
If you guys have any help it will be greatly appreciated.

And yes, you guys are right, getting a Swedish visa was harder than getting a US visa. She had to go trough the Spanish consulate.

Anyway, thank you guys in advance.

mariel

Dominisueca
Apr 7, 2004
I live in Stockholm and I know of at least 3 who live in Gothenburg. I sent you a PM.

Right now it's raining cats and dogs, at least in my area. Down south the weather isn't as "bad" as up here, IMO. Forget about your electric appliances (hair drier, for ex.) because the electric outlets are different (220V as opposed to 110 that we have in DR). Take this little tip from someone who experienced that first hands hehe.

What to do? I'd say enroll in Swedish classes ASAP. While you could live off English fine, I believe that learning the language is an important key to integrate to the new country you're living in. By learning the language, she'll have more access to information, jobs, etc.

People wanting a visa to come in to Sweden need to apply at the Spanish consulate, assuming Sweden is the place they're spending most of their time at. Otherwise, if you have a Schengen visa you can enter the country.

Any Dominicans in Sweden?
My sister will be moving to Lund, Sweden this month.
Any advice out there? What to expect, do or not do? What to bring or not to bring?
If you guys have any help it will be greatly appreciated.

And yes, you guys are right, getting a Swedish visa was harder than getting a US visa. She had to go trough the Spanish consulate.

Anyway, thank you guys in advance.

Princesa777

Apr 13, 2008
Yeah right, you are so right...NOT. Ignorant american giving his opinion??? It is very hard to get a VISA to these countries. EU, if the country in question do not have an embassy, i.e. Sweden, you have to go to the Spanish embassy. I say it is harder to get a Visa to EU than to the U.S, by experience... Imagine.

I agree :)

simpson Homer

Bronze
Nov 14, 2003
As per my best friend living in Norway.

He use to work welding in the Dominican Rep. like "EL Artistico" several hotel in Punta Cana and some bars in the colonial zone and cabarete beach have some of his work, he moved to Norway in 2004 got 2 kids he was telling me how bored that country is, dont take me wrong he likes Norway they Gov. paid him to study the language and trainning program to use his skills there the guy is working Building ships and some time at the oil plataform. But many people are abusing the system a few Dominicans
from Mao Valverde and African are part of that, some times I think that Scandinavia is like Yukon Canada
when it comes to weather.

His first year living there he got a house in Norway,

Princesa777

Apr 13, 2008
a small question ?
reason why I see in order to look for a visa for Scandinavia it is necessary to go to the embassy of Spain

I dont really understand your question? Are you asking if it is necessary to go to the spanish embassy if you want a visa for a scandinavian country?
If thats your question then it depends on what scandinavian country you want to visit exactly, because it is not the same or every one.

mariel

Dominisueca
Apr 7, 2004
I hope I don't sound like a know-it-all but Scandinavia is a "region" (if you will) formed by Denmark, Norway and Sweden (NOT Finland). I understand (and correct me if I'm wrong) that Denmark and Norway have embassies in DR. Sweden does not (it does, in fact, have an honorary consulate), and people wanting a visa to visit Sweden must apply via the Spanish embassy because Spain represents Sweden in DR. If you have a Schengen visa then you can enter Sweden with that visa. The Spanish embassy should give you info about what papers you need to submit, etc.

a small question ?
reason why I see in order to look for a visa for Scandinavia it is necessary to go to the embassy of Spain

DR Mpe

Banned
Mar 31, 2003
I hope I don't sound like a know-it-all but Scandinavia is a "region" (if you will) formed by Denmark, Norway and Sweden (NOT Finland). I understand (and correct me if I'm wrong) that Denmark and Norway have embassies in DR. Sweden does not (it does, in fact, have an honorary consulate), and people wanting a visa to visit Sweden must apply via the Spanish embassy because Spain represents Sweden in DR. If you have a Schengen visa then you can enter Sweden with that visa. The Spanish embassy should give you info about what papers you need to submit, etc.

You are rightabout Sweden. Sweden does not have an embassy in DR. In order to come to Sweden you have to go through the spanish embassy and it is a pain in the ass... Denmark probably the same as they also is a member of EU - not sure though.

Norway,not part of EU... I do think that I heard that Norwegians in some way go through Venezuela, meaning no embassy here - again not sure. They have a consulate in Puerto Plata though so maybe they send papers to Venezuela.

mariel

Dominisueca
Apr 7, 2004
You're right, Norway isn't part of EU but they've signed Schengen. I also think that Norway has something in DR because I know someone who worked at their commerce chamber but you're most likely to be right.

There is a Swedish honorary consulate in Santo Domingo but that's only for applying for residency. The first residency one gets is a temporary one that can be valid for 6 months or a year (in my case, a year).

For anyone interested in Denmark:

Dominican Republic, Royal Danish Consulate General in

Address:
Jose Amado Soler 49
Edificio Gampsa Piso 1
Santo Domingo

Authorised to issue passports, postbox function for residence and/or work permits
Lang.: Eng., Sp.

Phone: +1 (809) 732 1234
Fax: +1 (809) 541 2743
E-mail: dmnconsul@maersk.com
(source)

You are rightabout Sweden. Sweden does not have an embassy in DR. In order to come to Sweden you have to go through the spanish embassy and it is a pain in the ass... Denmark probably the same as they also is a member of EU - not sure though.

Norway,not part of EU... I do think that I heard that Norwegians in some way go through Venezuela, meaning no embassy here - again not sure. They have a consulate in Puerto Plata though so maybe they send papers to Venezuela.