What is up in Santiago???

El Tigre

El Tigre de DR1 - Moderator
Jan 23, 2003
What is going on over there???

Every family member or friend I speak to is saying "la calor me esta matanto". It's like they can't seem to talk about anythig else but the heat. I'm like uuuhhhh you live in the caribbean you know!!! It's only May and is it that hot already??? What's going on there?

Is this happening in other places in the DR? What do the folks from other regions say?

Texas Bill

Silver
Feb 11, 2003
www.texasbill.com
They're saying the SAME thing!!
Temperatures are ranging from a high in the middle 90's during the daytime hours to a low in the middle 70's at night. The winds are light and variable, not much cooling there. Humidity is high on top of all that. makes for a VERY uncomfortable environment.
A lot is exacerbated by a reduction in the number of hours of electrical service. Fans/Aircons can't be run because of that. Most people are staying up until well past midnight before retiring.
Just cause we live here, doesn't mean we don't feel the heat also.
I wouldn't place the blame at the doorstep of Global Warming just yet. It was HOT last summer, also and the summers before that.
Answer you question???

Texas Bill

NALs

Economist by Profession
Jan 20, 2003
El Tigre said:
What is going on over there???

Every family member or friend I speak to is saying "la calor me esta matanto". It's like they can't seem to talk about anythig else but the heat. I'm like uuuhhhh you live in the caribbean you know!!! It's only May and is it that hot already??? What's going on there?

Is this happening in other places in the DR? What do the folks from other regions say?
In DR it begins to get hot and muggy as early as March yes, March, compared to the "cool" weather of November to December. Of course, by "cool" I mean warm, rather than hot.

This is normal for this time of year.

-NALs

Squat

Tropical geek in Las Terrenas
Jan 1, 2002
feels warmer than usual, seems like major hurricanes will build...

juancarlos

Bronze
Sep 28, 2003
In Cuba it begins to get hot in May and by June it feels muggy as well, reaching its peak in August. In the Oriente part of Cuba, where Santiago de Cuba is located, it is hotter. In Cuba, March and April are cool months, almost perfect. Cold fronts occur from December to February, February can be very cold, sometimes. Rains begin in May and mosquitoes follow, particularly in the country. It feels hot in Havana right now. Day temperatures like 89 and night temperatures around 70. The first part of May is cooler. Summer tends to be equally hot and humid in all parts of Cuba. The rest of the year, Oriente is warmer. Puerto Rico, in general, is hotter than Cuba and probably DR is also hotter than Cuba. From what I have read, the yearly average temperature in Santiago de los Caballeros is bit cooler than Santo Domingo's. But I guess that during summer those differences disappear. Although it is probably even more humid in Santo Domingo. It is hot all over the Caribbean and the farther east you travel, the hotter it feels. Guadalupe, Martinique and Bonaire are even hotter.

NALs

Economist by Profession
Jan 20, 2003
Frank the Tank said:
NALs, how's the weather in Connecticut??
Warm and humid.

It was perfect for weeks. Warm temps during the day, cool at night - comfortable to sleep with the windows open - and NO HUMIDITY.

Today, well let's say it feels "caribe" ala New England. Its time to turn the dehumidifier on as well sa the central climate control to a "comfy" 70 degrees farenheit(believe it or not, keeping the central AC in a constant 70 actually makes the home feel cooler during the day and warm enough to be comfortable if it gets too cool outside at night. Plus, by not changing the thermostat through the rest of the warm months, savings in what otherwise would be an expensive electric bill are very much welcome!)

-NALs;)

Last edited:

Chris

Gold
Oct 21, 2002
www.caribbetech.com
El Tigre said:
Every family member or friend I speak to is saying "la calor me esta matanto". It's like they can't seem to talk about anythig else but the heat. I

Your family is right El Tigre. It is hot. It feels as if the fans are blowing hot air.

MrMike

Silver
Mar 2, 2003
www.azconatechnologies.com
Yes I can vouch for that.

I have started wearing shorts and going barefoot in the office and showering 5 times a day.

I am allowing my employees to wear shorts to work now but they still can't use my shower.

MommC

On Vacation!
Mar 2, 2002
dr1.com
Talked to my son in Tampa today and he said it's been hot, dry with no rain or humidity for months now.......definitely NOT typical Florida weather!!

Going to be a VERY warm 29C here in the Great White North tomorrow.....to heck with gardening - I'm going golfing!

drtampa

Bronze
Oct 1, 2004
New Ulm, TX
Tampa same as Santiago

Tampa is mid 90's with extremely high humidity. Heatpump works constantly until very late in the evening. But at least we have power for air until Progress Energy enables the power conservation devices.
However, we leave for Santiago Monday.

May 31, 2005
Yeah. It is 96 today in Orlando. The lakes and ponds have dried out from the months without rain. It has rained the last two days. I am so happy for that. We need it. We are going to Wet n Wild today to have some fun in the water.

El Tigre

El Tigre de DR1 - Moderator
Jan 23, 2003
Ok guys. So you are vouching for what they are telling me. I just got off the phone with one of my cousins and again the same thing "la calor me esta matando" LOL It's a nice 80 deegres here in The Bronx. I'm waiting for the sun to ease a little so I can take out my Weber grill. Gon' be the first barbeeque of the summer. Have some people coming over.

Well you guys take care and keep cool!

ZEUS

Bronze
Feb 14, 2003
Who can we blame?

For every action, there's a reaction. You wanted a/c in your car? A nice Frig with cold brews, hairspray to look good? Well, now is time for Mama Nature to try to mend things up. Think of 'the day after tommorow'. We'll burn in hell. It's written.:ninja:

Zeus (primus in hell):pirate:

Hillbilly

Jan 1, 2002
The last few days have been above average for Santiago. It was hot and a bit muggy today, and the breeze died down to make it worse.
After our golf game i had to find refuge in some 1 liter bottles of Presidente!!:p

There was even some "heat thunder" but no rain. We could use a nice tropical wave about now...

HB :D:D