Good garbage?

membruce

Jul 14, 2002
The first thing that I saw on the Green Team Blog was a garbage dump. In every third world country that I have been in there are people coming the dump for anything that they can salvage and survive on. Why not provide these people with the equipment to do the work safely and provide a place that will perches there separated recyclables? This would provide a little income for the poorest of the poor and at the same time empathic the environment.

Bruce

Keith R

"Believe it!"
Jan 1, 2002
www.temasactuales.com
Generally speaking, for health reasons, most experts agree that it is better not to let people do the sorting right at the dump. There are a number of ways to get the pickers/sorters involved in extracting the recyclables/reusables without having them work in the dump itself. These people should be integrated into any municipal recycling system, as most managers in Latin American ops that I have spoekn to say that those guys do a far better and more accurate a job than mechanical sorters...

I plan to do some Green Team blogs on this -- just haven't had the time to in recent weeks... :(