santo domingo to samana

art27207

Mar 18, 2006
I have read several posts but again could someone help me out. I will travelling with a person from SD, BUT could someone give directions best route from SD to Samana Thanks!!

Shortest route but not sure of the road conditions is SD to Piedra Blanca then turn of on 17 to Maimon and on the Cotui from there follow signs towards San Francisco de Macoris at Hwy 152 turn right and head toward Castillo then watch for the signs to Nagua then Hwy 5 to Samana.

A possibly better road would be to stay on #1 to La Vega and then 21through Moca to the coast just east of Cabarete then #5 to Samana, while a winding road 21 is in decent condition.

qgrande

Bronze
Jul 27, 2005
Hlywud said:
Shortest route but not sure of the road conditions is SD to Piedra Blanca then turn of on 17 to Maimon and on the Cotui from there follow signs towards San Francisco de Macoris at Hwy 152 turn right and head toward Castillo then watch for the signs to Nagua then Hwy 5 to Samana.

A possibly better road would be to stay on #1 to La Vega and then 21through Moca to the coast just east of Cabarete then #5 to Samana, while a winding road 21 is in decent condition.

The road via Cotui and Maimon is in very bad shape, we took it just a month ago in the other direction. Not just potholes, but large bits of the road are just bumpy gravel. It might be more scenic, but nothing really spectacular. With a 4wd you won't have any troubles, with a normal car I would definitely opt for the route via San Francisco.