Shipping Food to the D.R.

V

Vickie

Maybe a dumb question!! But can I FED Ex a Canadian friend in the Dominican a Dozen Corn on the Cob?? Someone told me you couldn't ship food. But he has tried to grow corn down there but it won't grow, maybe the salt water in the air. He really misses Corn on the Cob!!

D

DR1

I don't think you can ship corn on the cob via Fed Ex because it requires being kept in a constant frozen state. Ask them, they should know.

Corn on the cob is sold in Dominican supermarkets. The Dominican variety is similar to the US kind. Has your friend checked the Nacional or Pola supermarkets, or any major large supermarket for tha matter?

K

Ken

Yes it may be SIMILAR in appearance, but the Dominican supermarket frozen corn has no flavor.. If you find a way to ship some let me know I too would be interested.

L

Lyse

I'd like to ship some too. I had a dominican friend visiting me in Montreal last August (just on good time for the fresh corn). She just loved "the tender, juicy and sweet canadian corn on the cob". She asked me to ship some it will be next summer though. So let me know if it's possible to ship some.

T

Tom

Re: Shipping Food to the D.R./not usually

Most countries prohibit the importation of fresh produce, meats etc. due to possibility of disease

W

William Leslie

Sorry Dolores but in 10 years I have not found a Dominican corn that was any better than what is called cattle corn in Canada or the USA. Compared to North American corn it is small, hard and relatively tasteless. The frozen version is expensive and bears little resemblance to 'real corn'. The only way is to have friends 'smuggle' in a few FRESH ears (or a dozen) in their checked luggage when they come to visit especially in late August. Of coarse thats also a great time for fresh RASPBERRIES and BLUEBERRIES.

L

Lyse

And apples in September and October specially "Lobo" my favorite and "Mc Intosh". At that time of the year I always take a couple of dozens to the D.R.

J

John Thomas

Vickie, corn grows all over the Dominican Republic. Someone must have missinformed you. John Thomas