need agency email for bank account fraud,Banco del Progresso

zmth

May 30, 2006
Opened an account with Banco del Progresso Feb. 2001 and everything was ok till about year or two ago. NOW they have discontinued my account.
In Spanish they reply with the english equivalent of " i am not a member of the bank, do not have an account !!! which is
"Usuario no es cliente del banco."By now my account balance should have been larger than ever which including all interest deposits more
than $18,000. I last made a withdrawel there Jan 2004. They ignore all requests. Even the same person who emailed me in 2001 giving my balance now
ignores. It is not a matter of dormant account as have periodic deposits.
I give detailed as anyone could of all personal info. etc. and either they ignore or the reply is "Usuario no es cliente del banco." Anyone know
of government agency to handle such fraud? There are none in USA as already tried- they only handle us affiliated banks.
Is there any agency in Dom. rep that can help and what is their email?

azabache

Apr 25, 2006
Sorry to hear about the problem with the Dominican Bank. I don't have any advice to offer at this time but I do know that you are not the only person who has fallen victim to this kind of fraud. I read about a similar complaint on another forum but this victim lost an amount much smaller than you have.
The perpetrators seem to pull this mainly on foreigners. Good luck to you.

Beads

Bronze
May 21, 2006
If you have paperwork to show differently and this bank is still in business I would post as much bad information on this Bank all over the internet as possible and contact the US Embasy in the DR as well as the DR Embasy here and start shaking some trees. Let them know that your going to share your poor experience dealing with a dominican bank with everyone so they know not to put any money into them. This could work but if its doesnt at least you can warn as many people as possible so others dont have the same problem.

Thanks for sharing this information as im sure it was a difficult choice to come out in public and admit to.

Hillbilly

Jan 1, 2002
There is the Superintendencia de Bancos that can take a look at this case. There is also a Consumer Protection office in Santo 'domingo

As you know Banco del Progreso was in some trouble, i do believe..

HB :D:D

Willie

Sep 30, 2004
I could never understand in this day of modern technology and communcation, why people would put money in a bank in a third world country where protections are non existant.

At least in the US there is FDIC.

Sorry to hear about your loss though.

Willie

BushBaby

Silver
Jan 1, 2002
www.casabush.org
It would appear from the answer given to the same poster in the LIVING forum, that there may NOT be a scam here at all. (See http://dr1.com/forums/showthread.php?t=50768).
The account MAY have become a dormant one just because he/she had not been in to make any transactions & was only relying on the monthly interest due on the account to keep it active! See Lambada's response in the LIVING forum & try to get in to SEE the bank rather than trying to do it via e-mail. If this is impossible (i.e. you are not in the country) ask Customer Services if you can arrange for someone with your 'Power of Attorney' to go in & do the re-activation for you. As Conchman says though, "Choose your lawyer/friend (to act on your behalf) with great care!!" ~ Grahame.

Last edited:

zmth

May 30, 2006
to bush baby regarding bank acct problem banco del progresso

CAn assure you it is not dormant account as interest payments have been from outside sources commercial paper account - about $600/month atleast i am assuming they have been made. anyway evenwithout that i was there personally only about 2yrs ago. who ever heard of a bank account becoming dormant in only 2 years. it should be atleast 5 yrs.

BushBaby

Silver
Jan 1, 2002
www.casabush.org
zmth said:
CAn assure you it is not dormant account as interest payments have been from outside sources commercial paper account - about $600/month atleast i am assuming they have been made.
FIRST, you need to confirm that those interest payments WERE paid into your bank account by checking with the financiera or whatever. NO payment in would indicate a definite "Dormant account".

zmth said:
anyway evenwithout that i was there personally only about 2yrs ago. who ever heard of a bank account becoming dormant in only 2 years. it should be atleast 5 yrs.
Following the BanInter collapse (plus others) new rules have been installed at banks & YES, this has been in the last two years. Accounts go 'Dormant' if not utilised (banking on line enquiries & automatic account interest accumulation do not constitute "Using" the bank regrettably) within a 3 month period - sometimes less. Sorry, the DR is NOT the same as Europe &/or US in it's banking rules so you will not be able to claim mistreatment by the bank for the reasons you have mentioned above.

Please, before you go bad mouthing any bank down here (especially Banco del Progresso who are TRYING to be professional right now), check fully that your account has been receiving the interest you were expecting. I have a contact or two who might be able to assist in finding the truth out for you so you can e-mail or PM me if you would like them to look into it for you. Tell me who the financera is as well in the PM, I might know them & will be able to check if your interest has been made by them or added directly to your account with THEM for compounding (which is the norm here unless you clearly specify otherwise!).

In case Lambada does not find time to get back to you - it WAS Banco del Progresso she was refering to, she has had an account there for several years & went through EXACTLY the same scenario about 4/5 months ago if my memory serves me right (& it normally does not). The "problem" was sorted with a visit, a few smiles, good humour & re-activation of the account. ~ Grahame.

rellosk

Silver
Mar 18, 2002
For some reason this poster has posted this (or a similar) question in four different forums. I suggest than any answers to his questions be done in this thread.

zmth

May 30, 2006
answer about Comm.Paper thru agent 'Transacciones Financieras S.A.'

BushBaby said:
FIRST, you need to confirm that those interest payments WERE paid into your bank account by checking with the financiera or whatever. NO payment in would indicate a definite "Dormant account".

Following the BanInter collapse (plus others) new rules have been installed at banks & YES, this has been in the last two years. Accounts go 'Dormant' if not utilised (banking on line enquiries & automatic account interest accumulation do not constitute "Using" the bank regrettably) within a 3 month period - sometimes less. Sorry, the DR is NOT the same as Europe &/or US in it's banking rules so you will not be able to claim mistreatment by the bank for the reasons you have mentioned above.

Please, before you go bad mouthing any bank down here (especially Banco del Progresso who are TRYING to be professional right now), check fully that your account has been receiving the interest you were expecting. I have a contact or two who might be able to assist in finding the truth out for you so you can e-mail or PM me if you would like them to look into it for you. Tell me who the financera is as well in the PM, I might know them & will be able to check if your interest has been made by them or added directly to your account with THEM for compounding (which is the norm here unless you clearly specify otherwise!).

In case Lambada does not find time to get back to you - it WAS Banco del Progresso she was refering to, she has had an account there for several years & went through EXACTLY the same scenario about 4/5 months ago if my memory serves me right (& it normally does not). The "problem" was sorted with a visit, a few smiles, good humour & re-activation of the account. ~ Grahame.

Comm.Paper thru agent 'Transacciones Financieras S.A.' (Puesto de Bolsa) BVRD,PB-021.
address: 69 Gustavo Meja Ricart 3rd.floor Edificio Datocentro ,Santo.Dom. Email:tfinanciera@codetel.net.do
no website but fax (809)7322934(on card)but 5494476 on a paper tels;2270973, 4735411(or 5401?written on card) or 5622621ClaudiaMesina(home?)
The particular commercial paper is now $40,000 in Caribe Tours and $20,000
with Dato Centro i beleive. Both are at 12% which is very close to total $600 per month. The last time i checked a couple years ago they had always been making payments. 'Transacciones Financieras' requested it is best to open local bank account so they can deposit. I opened the bank account feb. 2001
at the same time i bought my first commercial paper - at that time only $10,000 with Caribe Tours. Then a couple years later another $30,000 then a couple years ago another $20,000 with Dato Centro i beleive all brokered thru the same 'Transacciones Financieras S.A.' And each time i did it in person with them. NO Matter what the bank deserves very much to be bad - mouthed for not answering official correspondance. And/or for having such rules if all you and other people say is correct. I did not sign anything agreeing to such ridiculous non-sense when i opened the account nor made aware of any change.

rellosk

Silver
Mar 18, 2002
Zmth, I'm not sure why you are posting in two threads.

Also, I wouldn't post information such information as you have in the above post on an open forum. If you are directing it towards Bushbaby, you probably should send him an email or a Private Message.

BushBaby

Silver
Jan 1, 2002
www.casabush.org
zmth,
I have responded to your problem in the 'Other' thread. PM or e-mail me for details of the manager at Puerto Plata Branch who is now anxious to get your asccount re-activated (if that is what the problem is!!). ~ Grahame.