Santiago/POP Logistics

Fenlenium

May 31, 2006
Probably too many questions for just one post, but here we go...

Flying into Santiago arriving 3am on a Friday morning and have Friday day and night to kill before we can check into our villa in POP on Saturday. Would like to stay near the airport in Santiago and just pick up the car the following morning.

Where to stay, where to rent, airport to hotel travel, and what to do until Saturday?

Similar problem on the return. Have to leave villa on Monday but won't fly out until Weds 6am.

One month to go...help!

Jun 5, 2004
There's a whole bunch to do in Santiago, its the country's sencond largest city. You can rent a car in STI airport and drop it off at the POP airport go to dominicanrepublic.com they have a list of hotels which are in santiago. Gran Almirante is a great hotel and its not that far from airport.

May 12, 2005
If its only for a few hours to sleep before heading out, try one of the cabanas located near the airport. The Gran Almirante is nice, but its also $150/night. For less than $50 you can get a decent place to rest your head for the night with a cabana.

Jan 5, 2006
Your main problem will be the arrival time, because you won't be able to get a rental at that time. Have one of the people recommended on here bring you to a caba?a within 5 minutes of the airport, then pick you up in the AM and bring you back to the airport to get your rental car.

Fenlenium

May 31, 2006
Very helpful...many thanks!

Can anyone recommend a specific driver and cabana or direct me to a post?

Is there another beachside resort on the north coast that would be a good place to spend a day or two before/after Puerto Plata?

Jan 5, 2006
Try emailing palomalinda0890@hotmail.com. I've always seen them (Rocio and JJ) recommended and raved about on here. There are many cabañas within a 5 minute drive of the airport, so you can just tell the drive what you're looking for.

While you're in Puerto Plata, go to Sosua and/or Cabarete, which provide a lot of fun entertainment options.

Fenlenium

May 31, 2006
I've heard that grocery shopping should be done in Santiago, given the selection/prices/etc. I'm thinking of staying the late night when we arrive, spend the day in Santiago, stay another night in the city, and they catch a ride (via the market) up to Puerto Plata the next day (when we can check into the villa).

What about driving...worth renting a car or paying for rides for 2 weeks?

Jan 5, 2006
If you've never been to DR, then I suggest that you do not rent a car.

If you have been there before and are comfortable with the conditions (driving style), then by all means, go ahead and rent a car.