DR Local Markets

Market Economy

May 9, 2006
The Superintendencia de Valores (SIV) approved a few local market debt issues, but after their announcement info on this issues have been scarce. Have they been issued? Are they trading? How about the Bolsa de Valores de Santo Domingo, is it fulfilling its role? is it being used by local financial market players?

Note: This is my personal opinion, an should not constitute investment advice. E-mail me at my personal address if you want to develop a dialogue

Market Economy

May 9, 2006
How's the US market trading?

Does anyone has some info on it? like daily turnover volume, main participants, indicators, demand and supply factors, etc.

Ishido

Oct 25, 2006
It's an interesting idea, at least is more healthy than the privatization process from seven years ago.

Market Economy

May 9, 2006
Tamborista,

The BVRD ( Bolsa de Valores de la Rep?blica Dominicana S.A ) publishes a periodic trading report (daily, monthly) where you can see the most active trading issues. In these reports you will see issues like:

1. Corporate bonds (Itabo)
2. Commercial Paper (Induveca)
3. Government Paper (MinFin) and CB Certificados (Bonos Ley 119-05, etc.)
4. Others

Note: This is my personal opinion, an should not constitute investment advice. E-mail me at my personal address if you want to develop a dialogue

Market Economy

May 9, 2006
Local companies are learning to love the local markets. AES Dominicana and Banco Leon are coming with bond issues. That't positive.

When will the Banco Central issue its certificates electronically and these be heavily traded on the secondary markets ???

Market Economy

May 9, 2006
FOMC just cut its benchamark interest rate by 50 bps to 4.75% as well as the discount rate (interest rate charge by the FED to banks) by 50 bps also to 5.25%

Implications for DR ...?

DRPAWA

Sep 3, 2004
Bolsa - New Advanced Trading System???

An article which appeared in DominicanToday (http://www.nytimes.com/2007/10/12/sports/baseball/12alcs.html)
indicated that there was a new trading system in DR. Can someone provide some detail as to how one goes about trading in the DR market and what kinds of research tools are available to do financial research on companies being traded?

Thank you

DRPAWA

Sep 3, 2004

Market Economy

May 9, 2006
DRPAWA,

Currently, only fixed income securities are traded locally in DR. The bulk of those securities are government bonds (Central Bank and Ministry of Hacienda) + several local corporates.

The best way to start trading is contacting any of the many local brokerage houses and the Bolsa de Valores de la Rep. Dom.

Happy Trading

Golo100

Bronze
Jan 5, 2002
Bolsa de Valores not offering good rates

For the kind of risk involved the interest rates in these issues are not palatable. Consider that companies like Induveca, AES Andres, and Inversiones Leon are at best topping 7% compared to Banco Central's 13-15%Who in their right mind will put up any capital for 3 years in DR for such rates? Compare that to Metro Country Clubs' dollar offer of 10% back in 2007 and you wonder..what happened? Do these people think we're in the developed world?
The low interest rates floating around here are just bait to use our money for free. With the mini-hyper inflation we got going here even 15% will be eaten up in a couple of months.
Golo