practical question fan + playa

vouvoune

Mar 17, 2006
I just arrived last night and will be here for a month to take SPanish classes in the morning and want to head to the beach in the afternoon.
What is the best way to do that within budget?

Yet another question Is there a second hand store in the zona colonial? I need a cheap fan...

I have been trying to locate my school but their address does not come up...they have a map on their website which I guess I'll try to follow...ANybody has heard of the academia hispaniola (apartado postal z-111 Est Zona colonial)
Thanks a lot! I am a little overwhelmed!

GringoCArlos

Retired Ussername
Jan 9, 2002
Academia Hispaniola is not listed in the telephone directory. It must be new. The address you are giving is a Post Office box, which is good for neither directions or receiving mail. What are the directions they give on the back of the matchbook, or in their literature?

As far as going to the beach every day, the nearest beach is Boca Chica, about 45 minutes to the east of Santo Domingo. I would say your best bet to stay within budget is to take a taxi to Boca Chica on the first Saturday you can go.

While there on the beach, pick out a handsome dominicano, and ask him if he has a motorscooter or a girlfriend. If he has the motorscooter and no girlfriend, explain your dilemma, and I am sure he can solve it for you while you are here. The rest is cake. (just don't give him your heart or your money). Good luck.

vouvoune

Mar 17, 2006
thanks for the tips..

...but I am not sure my husband would agree with me getting a boyfriend for rides :) It's a creative way to look at it for sure!

Here is the map I have for my school...have to go tomorrow morning...or at least try to!!! thank you so much

http://hispaniola.org/zona.htm

rellosk

Silver
Mar 18, 2002
I would call then in the morning to get an exact address.

Although sometimes having an exact address doesn't seem to help in the DR.:)

BPL888

Sep 7, 2004
Fan Sales in the Zona Colonial

I am also interested in buying a small fan while in the Zona Colonial. Does anyone have an idea where I could buy a new one at a reasonable price within walking distance of Parque Independencia?

Chirimoya

Dec 9, 2002
Try the Conde pedestrianised shopping street - there are several department stores, the most obvious being Cuesta that sells hardware and homeware, about half way down.

KateP

Silver
May 28, 2004
vouvoune said:
...but I am not sure my husband would agree with me getting a boyfriend for rides :) It's a creative way to look at it for sure!

Here is the map I have for my school...have to go tomorrow morning...or at least try to!!! thank you so much

http://hispaniola.org/zona.htm

Not too familiar with the Zona Colonial but if I were to guess I'd say, Duarte goes downwards so Hostos should go upwards (traffic wise I mean). Or just tell a taxi or ask someone to show you towards "las Mercedes con Hostos". People in the area will be able to help you and since it's a tourist attraction area, you might even find someone who can help you in english.

Good luck!

Chirimoya

Dec 9, 2002
It's less than a 10 mins walk from the apartment marked on the map to the school location. Walk down Nouel until you reach Hostos. Turn left and walk the 3 or 4 blocks until just before Las Mercedes. It's after this point that Hostos becomes a steep hill. Calle Hostos is one of the nicest streets in the Colonial Zone in terms of restored colonial buildings so it's a scenic enough stroll.

vouvoune

Mar 17, 2006
thanks...I actually found it but they actually moved and the location marked on the map was no longer current. I walked around aimlessly until someone called them for me...found it though!! Thanks for hte help!

vouvoune

Mar 17, 2006
Well for one, i'm an independent woman and I don't necessarly excpect my husband to solve my problems and do things for me. Especially since none of us know the country ,I can ask around as much as he can. Secondly, he is not here with me, I came to the DR on my own.

I saw a few fans today at a decent price but I guess I am still hoping to frin a better deal...thanks for the help..

Chris

Gold
Oct 21, 2002
www.caribbetech.com
JDJones said:
Inquiring minds want to know... why didn't your husband help you try to find the school.

Why doesn't your husband buy you a fan?

Geez, because some of us can walk down the street by ourselves without our husbands holding our hands to get down the curb.... What strange questions these are?