Question for tourists and others...

El Tigre

El Tigre de DR1 - Moderator
Jan 23, 2003
I had been wanting to post this for a while. It's a situation I encountered while I was staying at the Coral Marien by Hilton in Puerto Plata.

So I was there with my family for 4 days. I met this really nice couple from England. We had talked plenty throughout the days. It turned out they had been there for 5 days prior to my arrival and were going to be there for another 4. They said to me they were bored of the hotel and wanted to venture out but where scared to do so since it was the first time to the country. I suggested they do some kind of tour and said they had done that and it was kinda boring to them.

On the third day of me being there my cousins and I ran into them at dinner. They looked really bummed out. I offered to take them to Sosua beach and Cabarete the following day in my Jeep which was convieniently parked outside the hotel. They got really excited and where happy to be doing something different. We decided to meet by the reception area at 9 a.m. to go on our quest.

Well...The next morning I got there at 9 on the dot and waited a half hour (drinking coffee and stuff). They didn't show up. I left a note with reception with their description and if they came around to have them ring my room. Hours passed by and nothing. Since I had planned on going to Sosua and Cabarete anyway I took off at 11. On my way out one of my cousins spotted them at the pool tanning. I was like WTF!!!

I completely dismissed the whole thing.

Till this day I wonder why they passed. I rarely do things like that but I felt so bad for them because it means I'm also taking a risk of hanging out with total strangers. They looked really bored of being there so long and having more days to go - this is what compelled me to offer.

Anyway - that's my story. What do you folks think?

Rocky

Honorificabilitudinitatibus
Apr 4, 2002
www.rockysbar.com
Don't ever change...

There will always be people like that.
Trying to understand them is like trying to understand why the devil always wants to do evil.
If you let idiots like that, stop you from offering to help others in the future, then they have won, and turned you into the same type of azzholes they are.
Don't ever let them change you.

HOWMAR

Silver
Jan 28, 2004
You will find that many people here on tours are scared to death to step outside the resort on any activity that the tour company has not approved and made a commission on. The welcome lecture by the tour reps is like a brainwashing session. The British tour operators are the worse offenders. They tell their guests of dangers that just don't exist and that the only way to safely venture from the hotel is with a tour they sell. Before they met you that morning, there is a good chance that their tour rep saw that they were venturing off the premises and scared them off.

Rocky

Apr 4, 2002
www.rockysbar.com
HOWMAR said:
You will find that many people here on tours are scared to death to step outside the resort on any activity that the tour company has not approved and made a commission on. The welcome lecture by the tour reps is like a brainwashing session. The British tour operators are the worse offenders. They tell their guests of dangers that just don't exist and that the only way to safely venture from the hotel is with a tour they sell. Before they met you that morning, there is a good chance that their tour rep saw that they were venturing off the premises and scared them off.
What you say is very true, but no excuse for not having gone to meet El Tigre to advise him of their change of plans.
That's just downright rude and inconsiderate.

Hillbilly

Jan 1, 2002
Apart from the rudeness, which is unexcusable, they probablythought that you were not really going to do it!!

Anyway, I think that a lot of us here like to do these things for perfect strangers and it really blows their minds! "Out of nowhere this chap is telling me he will take me and Mum over to this exotic beach and playground? WTF? Is this on the straight up?"

Anyway, "el Tigre", you certainly did the right thing. Sort of like asking a person if they need a lift...you did what you did to be nice and to help the DR tourism industry....

Congrats for being a nice guy!!

HB :D:D:D

May 31, 2005
Rocky said:
What you say is very true, but no excuse for not having gone to meet El Tigre to advise him of their change of plans.
That's just downright rude and inconsiderate.
I agree with Rocky. Maybe they reconsidered because you were a stranger to them. There is nothing wrong with reconsidering things but they should have told you. That part was wrong.

mountainfrog

On Vacation!
Dec 8, 2003
www.domrep-info.com
Cautious?

El Tigre said:
.... What do you folks think?

Some tourist come from places where friendliness hardly exists any more. Thus a friendly person is often seen as a supposed crook.
It's sad, but maybe people are just unsecure, trying to protect themselves.

Sorry, it happened to you.

m'frog

El Tigre

Jan 23, 2003
You are all the best. Thank you.

HB I didn't let it bother me. When I was there for Semana Santa I hooked up with some students that were in Cabarete from Georgia Tech. I took them to Santiago for one day and showed them around. Some came with me and some via Caribe Tours. It was a group of 9. They loved it and I keep in touch with a few of them (made some really cool friends)

I feld kinda awkward and bad that the couple just stood me up like that. This happened last year in September. I had it all planned out. Sosua beach in the A.M. then head to Cabarete for lunch. Hangout in Cabarete for a bit and then back to Sosua in the evening in time for the ribs at Rockys. I kept menioning the ribs over and over and over and they seemed so into the whole idea.

Ohhh well - they missed one hell of a day trip (and to think I even thought about covering some of their expenses).

Musicqueen

Miami Nice!
Jan 31, 2002
Ok...Tigre...I'll let you know next time I'm in DR...and you can take us around and cover some of our expenses!!! ;)

Just kidding...you are a great guy...don't ever change...hey, it's their loss!!!

MQ

El Tigre

Jan 23, 2003
Musicqueen said:
Ok...Tigre...I'll let you know next time I'm in DR...and you can take us around and cover some of our expenses!!! ;)

MQ anytime!!!

I know you don't drink alcohol so won't offer a few Presidentes in Santiago. However my aunt makes a killer Morir So?ando among many other things :cheeky:

Music

Bronze
Apr 19, 2002
www.flickr.com
What a bunch of idiots to pass that up. You were doing them a favour and they were strangers there loss for sure!!! I would of been ticked off too!

Your a nice guy!
I know on my first trip I would of never passed up an offer like that :)
But then I'm not afraid to venture out of the resort areas, it's so much more fun :)

I'm hoping to get my family out of the resort for some real fun! 39 more days can't wait!!!

Music

Bronze
Apr 19, 2002
www.flickr.com
Rocky it's not MQ it's Music :)

But if you still would like to know, I'm staying at the Superclubs Breezes in POP.
I've already told the family about the ribs at Rocky's lol

Rocky said:
Where are you going, MQ?
North coast?

Rocky

Apr 4, 2002
www.rockysbar.com
Music said:
Rocky it's not MQ it's Music :)

But if you still would like to know, I'm staying at the Superclubs Breezes in POP.
I've already told the family about the ribs at Rocky's lol
Ooops, Sorry.
Not paying attention.
DR1 has been so much fun today, specially Mountainfrog's bird thread, that it's got my head spinning.
Anyhow, with a bit of luck, if you don't have a gigantic family and we can all fit into the Lexus (5 max), maybe we can go out for a little country drive.
Maybe a lunch up in the mountains at Rancho La Cumbre.
Don't be shy to get in touch, and force me to get off my lazy arse.
Regards, Marco.

Music

Bronze
Apr 19, 2002
www.flickr.com
Marco,
No problem :)

That's nice of you to offer I will see who's up for it I always am :) I will not be shy it sounds like a nice trip already, nice view and lunch in the mountains!!
I know where to find you lol :)

Thanks again!!

Rocky said:
Ooops, Sorry.
Not paying attention.
DR1 has been so much fun today, specially Mountainfrog's bird thread, that it's got my head spinning.
Anyhow, with a bit of luck, if you don't have a gigantic family and we can all fit into the Lexus (5 max), maybe we can go out for a little country drive.
Maybe a lunch up in the mountains at Rancho La Cumbre.
Don't be shy to get in touch, and force me to get off my lazy arse.
Regards, Marco.

2dlight

Bronze
Jun 3, 2004
I agree with Rocky..."don't ever change". One of the most memorable experiences my wife and I have while on vacation, was provided by a total stranger. I was taking photos of boats in Oahu and some guy shouts " you guys want to go sailing?" We spent more than two hours sailing in Waikiki...unforgettable! All he wanted in return was copies of the photos I took.

fightingirish

Dec 8, 2005
approach to life

Tigre -- youre why people want to come to the DR in the first place! We dont get that kind of approach to life up north.

Okay, maybe people come the first time for the beaches, etc. But if they return it's because of the spirit and generosity of the people.

I know it's hooked me and I can relate a little bit to the skepticism of the tourists, if not their rudeness. You want to ask, "is this for real?" I did some volunteer work around La Cienaga and Guachupita in SDQ. The poverty was overwhelming of course... but more overwhelming was the generosity and good-heartedness.

All told, Im moving down there in two weeks, this time for good.

Hope to meet you sometime if I get up to the north coast.

G

Beads

Bronze
May 21, 2006
I would have asked those people why they said they were coming and didnt bother showing up to even say they changed their mind.Maybe there was a miscommunication but maybe people like that need to realize if they make plans they should actually show up. If someone acts like a total *^&&W#^& and you went of your way to try and do something nice for them you have the right to mention to them they are a POS.Maybe they dont care but they still need to hear it.

amanacer

Dec 29, 2005
Don't worry El Tigre that was very generous offer, they were just stupid tourist(not that all tourist are stupid just some) I am sure they got back home and thought DR was boring, next year they will go to Barbados and spend their whole time in the resort and will think that was boring as well, just that kind of people...