Fascinating News Story About Princeton Valevictorian -- a Dominican!!!

Keith R

"Believe it!"
Jan 1, 2002
www.temasactuales.com
I saw this incredible story tonight on ABC World News Tonight. I had hoped to find the webcast version of this story oin their website, but it's not up yet. Instead they have the print version, plus an "extra" interview with this fellow that includes parts that were mostly not included in the finished news piece, but nontheless are worth watching.

http://abcnews.go.com/WNT/story?id=2046122&page=1

http://abcnews.go.com/Video/guide?category=WNT&subcategory=WNT Extra&id=2046315#2046315

This guy is incredibly articulate, quite an example. Even delivered his address in Latin.

But there's one important twist to the story. Check it out.

abe

Jan 2, 2002
Actually he's the salutatorian (which I am not sure I can spell) . The valedictorian was a Haitian.

Seriously, I saw the piece too and it was moving.

Keith R

"Believe it!"
Jan 1, 2002
www.temasactuales.com
It's interesting. Earlier tonight the print version on the ABC website called him a valedictorian, now they say salutatorian. Sounds like something slipped through the proofer's initial checks, but got caught later. Oh well, I should have know better, since the piece on the news referred to him as the latter...

And in any case, he's sharp and among the top in his class at an Ivy League institution, with an offer for graduate studies with scholarship at Oxford. Quite an achievement for a boy who used to live in city shelters in NYC...

Hillbilly

Jan 1, 2002
CNN carried the story, too. It seems that it is part of Princeton's efforts to get the kid a residence permit. the key element is that IF Dan-El takes the Oxford scholarship, he won't be able to get back into this country until 2016!
According to one poster here on DR1, the whole serices of news items is part of Princeton's plan....subtle, huh?

Good for them and good for Dan-El.....(Yeah, I know, right out of Superman!!:p:p:p)

HB :D:D:D:D

May 31, 2005
Oh please. I cannot believe that the immigration person said that they cannot issue a waiver simply because he is a genius. Maybe he is not a genius. Whatever happened to working hard and studying your butt off. Don't people belive in that anymore? Does everything have to be easy in order to be accomplished?

Stodgord

Bronze
Nov 19, 2004
Although, I am happy and proud of his achievements I think the rules are the rules and he should not get preferential treatment. By the way, he's been living here all that time and hasn't gotten his papers in orders yet. Is he waiting for someone to hand it over to him?

Chris_NJ

Bronze
Dec 17, 2003
Stodgord said:
Although, I am happy and proud of his achievements I think the rules are the rules and he should not get preferential treatment. By the way, he's been living here all that time and hasn't gotten his papers in orders yet. Is he waiting for someone to hand it over to him?

The article said that his parents brought him here when he was 4 years old and they decided to stay. What was he supposed to do? Was he supposed to recognize at the age of 4 that it was illegal for him to overstay his temporary visa? Should he have bought a 1 way plane ticket and gone back to DR by himself? That would have been the legal thing to do.

Through what legal avenue can he get his "papers in order."? The only way that I see is for him to get married.

One of my friends and former roommates is in the same situation - his parents brought him to US as a young child and decided to stay. He graduated college and got an MBA but had to work on a fake SS# because no company could sponser him because of his illegal status. He finally is just getting his green card as a battered spouse after a failed marriage.

bienamor

Kansas redneck an proud of it
Apr 23, 2004
Did His Parents ever Get Legal?

Chris_NJ said:
The article said that his parents brought him here when he was 4 years old and they decided to stay. What was he supposed to do? Was he supposed to recognize at the age of 4 that it was illegal for him to overstay his temporary visa? Should he have bought a 1 way plane ticket and gone back to DR by himself? That would have been the legal thing to do.

Through what legal avenue can he get his "papers in order."? The only way that I see is for him to get married.

One of my friends and former roommates is in the same situation - his parents brought him to US as a young child and decided to stay. He graduated college and got an MBA but had to work on a fake SS# because no company could sponser him because of his illegal status. He finally is just getting his green card as a battered spouse after a failed marriage.

Did his parents who JUST DECIDED TO STAY, ever get their papers. if not send them all back. I am tried of all the crying over Oh Im Illegal my god how did this happen. That and fine the hell out of the Employers!

Stodgord

Bronze
Nov 19, 2004
Chris_NJ said:

That is it. A street-smart person would know how to go about it. I guess you can't be book and street smart.

Keith R

"Believe it!"
Jan 1, 2002
www.temasactuales.com
Stodgord said:
That is it. A street-smart person would know how to go about it. I guess you can't be book and street smart.
Actually, in the interview he said he's had several people offer to marry him as a way to resolve the dilemma, but he didn't want a sham marriage.

Stodgord

Bronze
Nov 19, 2004
Yes, he is a virtuous honest person. This is the type of people the Dominican Republic needs right now, smart and honest.

solamentetu

Oct 21, 2004
I don't know whether I think he should be offered the waiver or not. My parents worked really hard to get here-- to get me here, and I don't see why someone should be allowed to skip the entire process just because of some good grades and an Oxford opportunity. I was fortunate enough to have just been born when I was brought to the United States, but my mother had to go through a lot to get here. My father came about a decade before she did; he went to the D.R. to see her a few months every year, and came back to work. Throughout that time, he was trying to get my mother here... he was working hard to support her and their future family together.

I am very proud of him and applaud him for his excellent work and his honesty. I'm sure there are many other students in similar situations-- brilliant illegal immigrants, but afraid to speak up... in fact, I've actually noticed that a good majority of the illegal immigrants I know are more diligent AND smarter than others who don't have as many troubles to deal with.

I want him to be able to take advantage of the opportunity, but I feel that all of the other illegal immigrants should get waivers as well. Just because he got an Oxford opportunity doesn't mean the government has to put him on a pedestal. I'm assuming that he has U.S. opportunities as well- presumably some at the ivys for grad school, so he could do those and not complain.

I don't understand why I should support him, but I also don't see why I shouldn't. There are plenty of Dominican illegal immigrants, many of whom are very, very intelligent. They just make sure they remain under the radar, so that they never get in trouble. I'm Dominican (though not illegal), I go to an elite college, and I know A LOT of illegal immigrants who are graduating, but none of them applied for graduate schools/opportunities outside of the country. Some did and are not asking for the attention to be given to them... I'm glad that this student is making the most of his opportunity, but would it really be fair?

drloca

Silver
Oct 26, 2004
At what age/stage would he have really questioned his status? Governments bend the rules when they want to...sometimes credit should be given where credit is due...we are not all Princeton/Oxford material and to make it on scholarships to such prestigious schools is no small feat.
I am an educated professional who came to Canada on my own merits, but I do think that often Dominicans are discriminated against when it comes to getting legal status because of many who preceeded them to these destinations and gave all Dominicans a poor reputation.
I think he should be granted legal status and should be highly commended for his outstanding achievements.

Rick Snyder

Silver
Nov 19, 2003
Stodgord said "Yes, he is a virtuous honest person. This is the type of people the Dominican Republic needs right now, smart and honest."

This seems to be true but it is my belief that this individual will never step foot on Dominican soil. He may very well achieve a waiver and go on with his life and I don't think anything to do with the DR is a part of said life.

Rick

Don Juan

Living Brain Donor
Dec 5, 2003
E Pluribus Unum?

The quandary in enacted laws everywhere is that sooner or later you'll hit upon a situation where it just doesn't fairly apply as it is meant to be.
Laws are obviously necessary as protection and guidance in a democratic society but there are instances were the interpretation and implementation of such laws simply does not make sense.
In the case of this person, regardless of his extraordinary situation, You have what is called "contributory negligence" on his part for failing to undue or fix his legal status. he should have known better the legal ramifications and consequences as an "illegal".
On the other hand you have your legal "zealots" that will seek the full implementation of the law regardless of circumstances or conditions.
Surely this man is guilty of negligence and procrastination, but there are NO laws against that.....Or are there?

Rick Snyder

Silver
Nov 19, 2003
Don Juan you said "Surely this man is guilty of negligence and procrastination".

As there are laws against both where are you trying to go with your post?

Rick

Cleef

Bronze
Feb 24, 2002
That might be a stretch

Stodgord said:
Yes, he is a virtuous honest person. This is the type of people the Dominican Republic needs right now, smart and honest.
As ass-backwards the US immigration laws may or may not be, this young man is illegal.

When I began reading the article I thought he should be given all the accord necessary to instantly become a citzen so he can do his Oxford time.

After reading that he'd be exiled for 10 years (what a stupid law) I felt he should go anyway and screw the US and their stupidity.

As I got to the end of the article things didn't add up anymore and I believe there is far more to the story than the article goes into, so it's difficult to come up with a resolute opinion.

Good, bad or indifferent, the law is the law and it doesn't discriminate (in theory anyway), be it a genius or a Mexican mowing my sister's palacial lawn in SoCal.

As you get what you vote for, you also get the playground rules in the playground you're in.

He states in the closing that the immortal gods will see him to his future. In this case he should go to Oxford and see where it takes him. He's likely going to do a lot of good wherever he goes, and if the US's structure exiles him, than another country (hopefully the DR) will reap the benefits from his future exploits.

The US will throw out its garbage and it will be another's gold, in this case, a boatload of gold.

People have made mention of this being a publicity/exposure posture by Princeton. It sure is timely.

Hillbilly

Jan 1, 2002
I agree with Chris_NJ: Dan-El was a minor when his mother decided to overstay her visa.
The interesting question is: Has the Mother legalized her stay? If so, why not his?
Anyway, the DR can now claim another great (like Sanchez's Olympic gold) that was totally made in the USA!! Who knows, maybe the guy will get his waiver, i do hope so...

HB :D:D:D

bienamor

Kansas redneck an proud of it
Apr 23, 2004
Again

Hillbilly said:
I agree with Chris_NJ: Dan-El was a minor when his mother decided to overstay her visa.
The interesting question is: Has the Mother legalized her stay? If so, why not his?
Anyway, the DR can now claim another great (like Sanchez's Olympic gold) that was totally made in the USA!! Who knows, maybe the guy will get his waiver, i do hope so...

HB :D:D:D

I guess like I stated above. I don't think he should get the waiver, any more than any other Illegal, his situation is different, but yet the same. At some point he was old enough to realize that he was illegal, and should have tried to clear the problem then, not wait until now and cry.

I work with a deporte that was in more of less the same situation, went to the states at the age of 3, got into trouble at the age of 23. Agreed not a valevictorian, but the same argument (not my fault) I never knew, no residency or citizenship, no family in the DR. Should he have been granted a waiver?

Using this logic, any Haitian that done the same here should be given citizenship in the DR right? Now what are the chances of that happening? Or would he be picked up in truck, and sent to the frontier, providing he did not have the contacts, and money to buy it.

Last edited:

Chris_NJ

Bronze
Dec 17, 2003
bienamor said:
At some point he was old enough to realize that he was illegal, and should have tried to clear the problem then, not wait until now and cry.

This is a complicated situation because with these necessary black and white laws there are always some good people that get caught on the wrong side of the law. At the point where he realized he was illegal what could he have done to ?clear the problem.? It is not like he just had to fill out some forms/applications and submit them and wait for his permanent residence.

By the time he realized he was illegal he was probably in high school, getting straight A?s, and starting to think about colleges. Should he at that point as a teenager tried to enter into a sham marriage? Or while he was making the most of his scholarship should he have then contracted someone to marry him and chance being caught and risk flushing an elite college degree down the toilet? My friend was in the same situation and believe you me he anguished 24/7 over what he should do. The day in/day out stress he had was unbelievable.

Maybe the guy in the article should just wait for the immigration law to pass and get his permanent residence that way.