Dominican runs for AG for Maryland

Dolores1

DR1
May 3, 2000
www.
Dominican Tom Perez could become the first Dominican to be elected state attorney general. A resident in Maryland, he is campaigning for the position. A campaign activity has been set for Tuesday, 13 June from 5:30 pm to 7 pm at the National Women's Democratic Club, of 1526 New Hampshire Avenue, Washington, D.C. 20036. Individual tickets are US$250 per person, a sponsor contribution is US$2,000 per person, and a co-chair contribution is US$4,000. For more information, call 301-254-8031.

Maritza

Jun 10, 2006
Dolores said:
Dominican Tom Perez could become the first Dominican to be elected state attorney general. A resident in Maryland, he is campaigning for the position. A campaign activity has been set for Tuesday, 13 June from 5:30 pm to 7 pm at the National Women's Democratic Club, of 1526 New Hampshire Avenue, Washington, D.C. 20036. Individual tickets are US$250 per person, a sponsor contribution is US$2,000 per person, and a co-chair contribution is US$4,000. For more information, call 301-254-8031.
I've been sooo busy working I havent been doing much reading. I didnt realize we were so well represented in Maryland. I am Dominican and My husband and 2 sons are attorneys in Virginia and Maryland. Salvado, Salvado & Salvado, P.C. will stand behind Mr. Perez!

aegap

Silver
Mar 19, 2005
The Carracos, A great Dominican family living in Montgomery County (MOCo), Maryland

Here's some info,

Alejandro Carrasco of Radio America

Moreno Carrasco, Principal at Richard Montgomery HighSchool, (the 15th highest-rated high school in the nation/United States).

Elida Vargas-Carrasco, an educational psychologist and highly regarded community activist,

Elida Vargas-Carrasco
When she noticed that her son was doing poorly in elementary school in the Dominican Republic; she developed an intensive program that helped her son. When the family came to this country in 1991, Ms. Vargas-Carrasco¡s son, Jose Danilo, did well in school because she had high expectations. Eventually, he was awarded the Rhodes scholarship, [to study medicine at Oxford University]. Education 2000 is a program founded by Ms. Vargas-Carrasco that not only helped her son, but also now helps many of Montgomery County students. Education 2000 brings together students, parents, and the community to help Latino students. Key to the program¡s success is the model of intervention, which focuses on strategies that empower parents and students to make changes in their knowledge, attitude, and behaviors concerning problems that affect the students¡ education. Education 2000 identifies the problems leading to low academic achievement and (1) provides intensive training for students, parents, and school personnel, (2) helps create individualized plans of action for each student and parent, (3) holds group motivation sessions for students, (4) hosts college information preparatory workshops with intensive individual evaluative follow-ups, and (5) reinforces recognition of students¡ accomplishments through community participation. The program has been successful at Eastern Middle School, Gaithersburg Middle School, Zadok Magruder High School, Albert Einstein High School, and Gaithersburg High School. Last year, the program was added to Sligo Middle School. A total of 310 students participated in the program and 97 percent of them improved their Grade Point Averages from the time they started the program to its

Last edited:

aegap

Silver
Mar 19, 2005
Janet Reno endorsing Tom Perez

WaPo on Janet Reno fundraising on behalf of Tom Perez:

Quote: washingtonpost.com,
...coming to Maryland to raise money will be former attorney general Janet Reno , Reno will be helping Montgomery County Council member Tom Perez . Perez, a Democrat running for state attorney general, has scheduled a series of appearances and fundraisers with Reno on July 20

the pics:

perez_reno_small2.jpg

perez_reno_small1.jpg

(Tom Perez for Maryland Attorney General Campaign Site)

aegap

Silver
Mar 19, 2005
You forgot Elida's and Richard's son, a Rhodes Scholar winner and Harvard Med student. Should be graduating by now.

aegap said:
When she noticed that her son was doing poorly in elementary school in the Dominican Republic; she developed an intensive program that helped her son. When the family came to this country in 1991, Ms. Vargas-Carrasco¡s son, Jose Danilo, did well in school because she had high expectations. Eventually, he was awarded the Rhodes scholarship, [to study medicine at Oxford University]. Education 2000 is a program founded by Ms. Vargas-Carrasco that not only helped her son, but also now helps many of Montgomery County students

[SIZE=+1]Language No Barrier for Rhodes Scholar, [/SIZE]
Dictionary, Determination Aided Dominican Republic Native's Journey to Academic Excellence
By Fern Shen
Washington Post Staff Writer
Thursday, December 17, 1998; Page M01
He could have dwelled on his accomplishments at the prestigious institution where he has done sophisticated molecular biology research-the National Institutes of Health in Bethesda. Or he could have reflected on the world-famous British school where he will spend a year as a Rhodes scholar-Oxford University.
But, Jose Danilo Vargas, 21, of Gaithersburg, wanted his audience to think for a minute about a humbler sort of place-McDonald's fast-food restaurants.

Tordok

Bronze
Oct 6, 2003
I met the young Rhodes Scholar and his family at a special event in Maryland to honor his achievement. We need more like them.
- Tordok

deelt

Bronze
Mar 23, 2004
After Oxford, he went on to pursue his MD/PhD in Boston, MA. I would imagine that he should be close to graduating now.

Here is a more recent article.

I was just in B-more the other day for Artscape. Awesome!!!

Best to you.

I met the young Rhodes Scholar and his family at a special event in Maryland to honor his achievement. We need more like them.
- Tordok

A.Hidalgo

Silver
Apr 28, 2006
I guess he'd be a sellout according to many on this site..:tired:

Whatever gave that idea. If you read carefully all the post's praise Tom Perez and are proud of him. My friend you are too angry, lighten up a bit and take sometime off to enjoy some of the beautiful beaches in the DR. But then again you seem to hate the place according to some of your other posts.

deelt

Bronze
Mar 23, 2004
Tom made an honorable statement and it's probably not the last well see of him in public office. There are other Latinos that we need to make sure we vote in Sept. 12. So let's get busy and hit the polls.