Danny Almonte- So Much For The Hype!.

miguel

I didn't last long...
Jul 2, 2003
As per the NY Post:

ALMONTE GETS LEFT OUT OF DRAFT:

"Danny Almonte, the lefthander who made national headlines for pitching in the 2001 Little League World Series despite being too old at the time, was not one of the more than 1,500 players taken in the Major League draft that wrapped up yesterday".

This kids has good talent. I just hope that someone who really knows baseball get a hold of him and advice him. It would be such a waste if nobody explore his talent.

And the saga continues.........

vince1956

On Vacation!
May 24, 2006
Maybe He Should Have Got On A Vespa Or A Ostrich Have Aword With Chris Or Mnt Frog

Cleef

Bronze
Feb 24, 2002
Almonte is probably a dime a dozen

...in the DR. I'm sure most of these teams have Almonte clones - 4-10 deep - in their academies.

The poor kid just got suckered into marrying someone twice his age.

What team wants to deal with that?

Jan 5, 2006
I just saw him on tv yesterday. He started at first base on some national high school all-star game that was being shown on Foxsports.

miguel

I didn't last long...
Jul 2, 2003
Ay Dios!

rellosk said:
Does anyone know how old Almonte is?
Who in hell knows!!.

My guess is that he was born between 4 AD and 2006, take your pick!.

Are we sure that he was not Columbus' right hand man?. Better yet, perhaps he was Cleopatra's toy boy!.

puertorricane

May 23, 2006
no suprise almonte is just another player,, if it wasnt for what happen in the little league world series we wouldnt be talking about him

DominicanScotty

On Vacation!
Jun 12, 2004
Agreed

puertorricane said:
no suprise almonte is just another player,, if it wasnt for what happen in the little league world series we wouldnt be talking about him

Have any of you been to a typical baseball game in the Dominican Republic? The talent on this island is phenominal! There is literally thousands of Danny Almontes in the Dominican Republic every single day of the year all year round.

It's not Danny's fault, he was pumped up by a New York media that could make the conception of a fly big news!

miguel

I didn't last long...
Jul 2, 2003
Indeed!

DominicanScotty said:
Have any of you been to a typical baseball game in the Dominican Republic? The talent on this island is phenominal! There is literally thousands of Danny Almontes in the Dominican Republic every single day of the year all year round.

It's not Danny's fault, he was pumped up by a New York media that could make the conception of a fly big news!
True.

He does have some talent but I think that it's well known that he will follow people's advices and not his own.

Yes, people should follow advices if those advices will benefit them, not just the person doing the advicing!.

Well, he is more famous for doing something wrong that from his talent. Oh well.

He is old enough and now it's time for him to be a man and start making decision that would benefit him. I don't know if he is capable of it since, here we have a 19 year old (?) still in High School and marrying an "old lady". Just wait until she starts having kids and demanding for him to "stop with the stupid baseball and go find a job to support your kids and me". Just wait.

It's time to stop blaming everybody else for his problems. Yes, many messed him up when he was young but now he is 19 (?) and it's about time he starts acting it. From now on, if he does not make it, he only have himself to blame.

That was then, this is now. If he is mature enough to marry and play house, he can be mature enough to take control of his life. Trust me, the way he "talks", no damage have been done to him emotionally.

Let's not forget that as bad as his hardship was, there are MANY Dominicans that have had it much worse than him and still made it to the Big Leagues!.

Last edited:

jaguarbob

Bronze
Mar 2, 2004
almonte

miguel said:
True.

He does have some talent but I think that it's well known that he will follow people's advices and not his own.

Yes, people should follow advices if those advices will benefit them, not just the person doing the advicing!.

Well, he is more famous for doing something wrong that from his talent. Oh well.

He is old enough and now it's time for him to be a man and start making decision that would benefit him. I don't know if he is capable of it since, here we have a 19 year old (?) still in High School and marrying an "old lady". Just wait until she starts having kids and demanding for him to "stop with the stupid baseball and go find a job to support your kids and me". Just wait.

It's time to stop blaming everybody else for his problems. Yes, many messed him up when he was young but now he is 19 (?) and it's about time he starts acting it. From now on, if he does not make it, he only have himself to blame.

That was then, this is now. If he is mature enough to marry and play house, he can be mature enough to take control of his life. Trust me, the way he "talks", no damage have been done to him emotionally.

Let's not forget that as bad as his hardship was, there are MANY Dominicans that have had it much worse than him and still made it to the Big Leagues!.

too many steroids made him do it................marry an older woman that is....

jruane44

Bronze
Jul 2, 2004
A, A
I know the article says he throws a 90 mph fast ball but I think he only throws mid 80's. Good luck to him anyway.

miguel

I didn't last long...
Jul 2, 2003
Adivina otra vez......

he's 20 and living in chicago with his new team. see this article:
Well, not anymore...

This "nothing more than hype" ballplayer was released from his team on Saturday as he was pitching horribly with an ERA over 5.

NEXT!!!!!!!!!!...........

Berzin

Banned
Nov 17, 2004
It really gets under my skin how people suddenly expect an immature child to make adult decisions because he crosses the magic line of adulthood.

Just because the kid is 18 or 19 does not mean he is an adult, or a mature one. If he was mature he wouldn't of married that old battleax who probably was mistakenly looking for a mealticket in this boy.

It takes alot to raise a child, and in the course of the childs' life alot of time and energy needs to be expended by the parents to make sure a child is level-headed and is ready to go out there in the world to make a life for him/herself.

And its' even harder when you're from the ghetto. So I blame all those idiots around him who told him he was good enough to be a professional ball player. I also blame his parents for not doing enough to make sure this kid had a plan B, which wouldn't be hard if he went to college and got his degree.

Jan 5, 2006
I also blame his parents for not doing enough to make sure this kid had a plan B, which wouldn't be hard if he went to college and got his degree.
It would have been nice if they were actually around to raise the kid, but he grew up with a broken family, and on top of that, his parents were actually stupid enough to believe all the hype about the kid's prospects, so they discounted his need to get an education.