Success Story - After 4 Years!

McCool

Feb 1, 2002
In 2002, we purchased a view lot, (4,000 sq meters) overlooking the twin bays of Playa Rincon and Las Galeras. After 2 law firms, and 3 surveyors, we now have the finalized registered Certificado de Titulo and Deslinde that includes the Parcela and District approval thru the Tribunal Superior Court.

What a relief! We owe much thanks and gratitude to Guzman Ariza & Asociados, Fabio Guzman and Joel Carlo! Fabio and Joel have had so much patient with our many emails and phone calls during this process. After all our many learning experiences, the only law firm we would ever recommend is Guzman Ariza and Asociados!

Our next step is finalizing the design / building plans with the architect. Our plan now is to build during the 2007/2008 timeframe.

La Vanda

McCool

Feb 1, 2002
Thanks!

We are so ready for early retirement from the US and start our life in paradise!

I can't even imagine how much harder this process would have been without the information from DR1, Hillbilly, Bush Baby, Andy B, Ken and others....

Hopefully, we will be able to provide useful information to help others avoid some of our pitfalls as we go thru this process!

La Vanda

shuffine

Jan 17, 2006
congrats!!

good for you....hope you can now get down to business and enjoy it!!

Guzman is good!

BushBaby

Silver
Jan 1, 2002
www.casabush.org
Good GRACIOUS La Vanda, we haven't heard from you in YEARS. I thought the whole thing was off as you hadn't staid in touch?! Glad to hear it is coming together for you at last & pleased our efforts to advise were helpful!

Regards to "The Old Man"!! ~ Grahame.

Hillbilly

Jan 1, 2002
Outstanding! congratulations. I wish i had known you were here...or were you?/

HB :D:D:D

McCool

Feb 1, 2002
We've been coming down about every six months, but have always been so tied up with all our "stuff". Sure have missed seeing you guys! In March, we flew into Santo Domingo and didn't make it to Santiago or Puerto Plata.

We were asked thru a private message to give details about the 4 year struggle. I know this is going to sound like an endless saga, so don't laugh at us to much... someday you may want to come and visit! I know many DR1 posters have had easy real estate transactions, so ours may not be typical. We have purchased in a very rural area with limited development.

Our first attorney was from a reputable law firm in Santiago. He was paid to set up the corporation, transfer the title and oversee the survey. He set up our corporation that contained many errors including passport info, location, shareholders, type of corporation, etc. Many, many details incorrect. The title was never transferred into the corporation and the survey that was scheduled was never performed. At some point the attorney left the law firm, and bought a one way ticket to New York City. (Rumor has it he is now working as a carpenter?s helper making more now than the law firm was paying him!).

After all this, we did a major re-group and met with Fabio Guzman. The corporation details were corrected and the title was properly transferred to the corporation. Guzman Asociados retained a surveyor from Santiago. Six months went by and no survey. Guzman Asociados retained another surveyor who met us on site, and performed the survey and the paperwork was submitted. Six months went by. The surveyor filed the survey with incorrect names which had to be re-submitted. Guzman Asociados were very pro-active in keeping us informed of the survey status and all the set-backs. We now have a paper trail that is approximately 8 inches thick!

After the survey had been re-filed with the corrected names, someone pulls up the survey markers. The survey crew goes back a second time to put the markers back in. They are removed again. By now even the surveyor is ****ed. The person pulling up the markers is an older farmer who doesn?t want to see the changes that are rapidly happening. He about has a full breakdown on our property when we went to install the fence; crying, shaking, yelling, threatening to kill us and the fence crew. Never seen anything like it! Since this was such a bad scene, Guzman Asociados is now handling the fence issue.

Now you may ask how much all this has cost??? In terms of retaining our sanity to have gotten this far, PRICELESS!!!

La Vanda

Mar 21, 2002
McCool said:
The person pulling up the markers is an older farmer who doesn?t want to see the changes that are rapidly happening.
La Vanda

What changes? You're just building a house, right? Or building a resort?

McCool

Feb 1, 2002
We are just building a home.

The farmer I am referring to is aware of the new airport, plus real estate transactions in Playa Colorado, Playa Rincon and Las Galeras. He is an older local man that knows all these changes are happening and he doesn't want to see it happening in his tranquil world.

La Vanda

Mar 21, 2002
I'd be sore too. It's going to change from something unigue to just another cookie cutter community occurring all over the world. How boring!

suarezn

Gold
Feb 3, 2002
Man...I don't know you personally, but congratulations anyways on getting THE piece of real state I would love to get. Views of both bays...that's just absosutely awsome.

I do have to say that out of my own selfishness I wish they never build in Playa Rincon, but I know that's just wishful thinking...