Casa de Campo...does any go there?

expatsooner

Bronze
Aug 7, 2004
Casa de Campo is one of the nicest places on the island (depending on what you are looking for in a vacation/living area - not so great if you like surfing, but if golf is your thing you're set for example) with a price tag to match.

Great villas to stay in and the area is booming, it has changed drastically during our nine years here, they are even building a block of villas above the polo field now.

You have to be really well off, connected to friends with villas there or both to be able to afford to stay in CdeC on a regular basis.

Many of the posters here are a bit more budget travel oriented and/or looking for jobs on the island that pay so poorly (ie - "I want to teach English even though I don't have a teaching cert.") that there is no way they could ever afford to stay there more than once or twice.

To the best of my knowledge the average cost for a tourist family of four that rents a villa for a week long vacation there and does touristy things is not quite 10,000 USD. Of course some spend more, others spend less and this is averaging between high/low season rates.

If you ever get the chance to go take it and make sure to rent a golf cart to cruise around the grounds, it is a lot of fun.

americangirl

May 30, 2006
Thanks for the info. I have been to Casa de Campo at least 10 times. My parents actually have a house there, I just thought it was weird that it was never mentioned on the site. I guess it is like you said, most people are more budgeted travelers on this site.

It is a nice place, but I like the all inclusive places better.

Aug 6, 2006
Altos de Chavon is a very beautiful place to visit, or at least it was the last time I was there.

I bet that extensive information is available online for Casa del Campo as well as neighboring and affiliated Altos de Chavon. You have but to Google.

jabejuventus

Bronze
Feb 15, 2013
Before locating in Bavaro I was looking to rent a full villa there. Used reference from owner/friend to get me w/property managing agent. The rental was negotiable to a point and manageable even for my budget. A previous month's rental villa stay was equally reasonable. Also spent weeks in its hotel. The waterfront development and pier is state-of-the-art and high end. Casa de Campo has a lot of history and important names attached to it. While not mentioned much here we know its there (La Romana). Great place to spend some time.

cobraboy

Pro-Bono Demolition Hobbyist
Jul 24, 2004
Casa de Campo always struck me as the Palm Beach of the DR.

Contango

Banned
Dec 27, 2010
Casa De Campo houses many of the Drug Lords, and if you are lucky enough to get in tight with one of these "fellows" you might get to go on a run if you own a cessna, big pay day.. Is it worth the stretch? :cheeky:

J.Baby

Dec 23, 2012
Beyonce and Jay Z are there right now. They liked it enough to buy a high end villa there. If they like it, it must be nice. And beyond my budget!

Contango

Banned
Dec 27, 2010
Beyonce and Jay Z are there right now. They liked it enough to buy a high end villa there. If they like it, it must be nice. And beyond my budget!

Well that ruins it for me, I will not be buying their now that part of the "plastic pop culture has purchased". If you had told me that Geddy Lee or Alex Lifeson or Neil Peart had bought, Id be plopping down my coinage tomorrow..

Sep 4, 2012
Well that ruins it for me, I will not be buying their now that part of the "plastic pop culture has purchased". If you had told me that Geddy Lee or Alex Lifeson or Neil Peart had bought, Id be plopping down my coinage tomorrow..

Allow me to mention some names, shall we. Julio Iglesias, Oscar de la Renta, Shakira, Michael Jackson just to say a few, all have or had villages there so no, I don't believe Casa de Campo needs your approval. Although I will go on a limb and say that you may just be one of the budgeted travelers addressed a few post back :)

Criss Colon

Platinum
Jan 2, 2002
yahoomail.com
PRD "Big Shot", read THIEF,"MVM", has a house there that is Sooooooooooooooooooo big, I thought it was a Hotel!
Supposedly his master suit is 5,000 sq. ft.!
The marina area is like an Italian sea port!
With the yatchs to match!
CCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCC

Mauricio

Gold
Nov 18, 2002
It doesn't need to be above budget. I went for three nights last month, stayed in a big luxury villa with pool, paid 17,000 pesos. (USD420) + 3700 pesos food. We went with 4 families, brought our own food and a maid to cook. Found the house at VRBO. If you go for the hotel you will pay a lot more of course.

Casa de Campo is nice, but gets boring quick.

Celt202

Gold
May 22, 2004
I'm going to go out on a limb and guess that there aren't any viralatas wandering free in Casa de Campo.

Contango

Banned
Dec 27, 2010
Allow me to mention some names, shall we. Julio Iglesias, Oscar de la Renta, Shakira, Michael Jackson just to say a few, all have or had villages there so no, I don't believe Casa de Campo needs your approval. Although I will go on a limb and say that you may just be one of the budgeted travelers addressed a few post back :)

Wishing you well grandpa.. :cheeky:

Mauricio

Gold
Nov 18, 2002
By the way, I've been to the hotel of Casa de Campo twice for 'cheles', by buying a Gustazo coupon. Golf cart included. I don't remember what I paid, but it can't have been more than an average AI resort.

The house we rented was alongside the polo field, near the entrance and maybe therefore affordable, but we took the days to relax in a different environment, with a pool for the children and took the car to the beach and marina.

Tamborista

hasta la tambora
Apr 4, 2005

You are probably a Bob & Doug McKenzie fan back in the 8 track age.

[video=youtube;X-ZvAVcBIrQ]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=X-ZvAVcBIrQ[/video]

jeanchris

Bronze
Feb 27, 2012
wow i have never saw/heard about this place before, looks very nice.

Other then golf/pool/playa what activity can we do there?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

LTSteve

Gold
Jul 9, 2010
I see no one really talks about Casa de Campo on this site. Is it a popular tourist location?

It is with the rich and famous. Ex-presidents go there, movie stars and sports celebs. The last I knew Rafael Nadal owned a villa there. Very very nice, very very expensive and private. Get out the American Express Black card. You're worth it.

LTSTeve