Real estate query

JRSYCOLL

Mar 10, 2003
Hi everyone....hope all is well.
My husband & I really wish to purchase a condo ( Sosua/Cabarete area) We don't have a whole lotta money..but then again..we aren't looking at villas hahahaha ( wish I was)
Of course..today's post w/ the murder in Sosua didn't help. ( what a pic!!)
WE ARE SO CONFUSED!!
Anyway...the realtor is pushing las canas in Sosua. I have read a couple posts on it, but they weren't current. Does anyone have any current info?? I've read everything from possible bankruptcy to beautiful!!!
Also..I was given citadelsol as a possibility. Does anyone have any info on this property?? I'm not real familiar w/ Cabarete, having only done a day trip. But it was really nice.
We just want a small 1 bedroom that isn't all "party-hearty" ( although my daughter would argue that point) I told her when she pay's for it, she can give me her opinion.
Thanks for your feedback as usual...really great people!! :bunny:

Tamborista

hasta la tambora
Apr 4, 2005
Las Canas "looks" like a nice place, but they have MAJOR issues with power.
I would also take a closer look at the tenants that are living there.
We will just leave it at that.

rmary

Oct 4, 2003
Cita del Sol

I cannot comment on the management of this property or anything like that but we did stay there for one week the February before last.

The location is very good in my opinion. Just across the street from the hotel Villa Taina. It has a very nice pool that seemed to be well maintained as did the grounds in general.

There is also a small restaurant on the premises that serves very good pizzas etc. at quite reasonable prices.

They are fairly small one bedroom condos. Kitchen/livingroom, a reasonably sized bedroom and a suprisingly large bathroom. Hot water was hit or miss but that tends to be the norm.

The only thing about the management that I can comment on was that when we emailed them to make a reservation, they were very prompt and helpful. Not always the case. The front desk staff were very pleasant and helpful.

The only other thing that I can say is that there were a lot of motorcycles around, if ya know what I mean.

If you have any other questions that I can answer just let me know.

Rose

JRSYCOLL

Mar 10, 2003
I am an A**hole!!!

Everyone..pleeeez accept my profuse apologies!!! ( what an idiot!!) I am just getting my husband into DR1..he did a search on the real estate we were talking about..and showed me this article. I NEVER dreamed he was on something from the archives ..and I NEVER checked!!! I didn't even realize it until people started asking. I AM SO VERY sorry!!! I guarantee I will be much more diligent in the future.
On a nicer note..I got pretty much the answer to my questions..thank you everyone. I do have another question though...when private people sell their homes etc..do they go to a realtor?? the only thing I've been offered is condos. Is it because homes are so much more expensive..or the people do it privately??
Thank you for your help and understanding..I'm gonna go bash my head against the wall now!!!:disappoin :disappoin

Victor Laszlo

Bronze
Aug 24, 2004
JRSYCOLL said:
..I'm gonna go bash my head against the wall now!!!:disappoin :disappoin
LOL, don't get too carried away. This happens to everyone (well, at least to me).

Sometimes you click on a thread on the new posts page about some dramatic or controversial incident. You read along avidly until...you encounter a post pointing out that the thread is actually three years old. Then you check the dates and...oops!

Sometimes a poster will reply to an urgent question asked years before by someone who is presumably long gone...It happens.

duhtree

Jun 2, 2003
JRSYCOLL. This is scary. You say you don't have alot of $ but it sounds like you are buying 'blind' with no real grasp of the reality of a purchase in the D.R. Like a sheep to slaughter. Say it ain't so? John

Rocky

Honorificabilitudinitatibus
Apr 4, 2002
www.rockysbar.com
Houses vs condos

I would say that condos are popular with newly arrived ex-pats, because there are less hassles involved, than with a house.
When you own your own house, you have to take care of the property, deal with all the utility companies, set up your own security perimeter, and just generally fend for yourself.
Most newbies don't speak the lingo, and that combined with not understanding the culture and work ethics of the locals, can make a house purchase a nightmare.
Perhaps this is why you see so many condos for sale.
People move here to get away from hassles, not to discover new ones.

Rocky

Apr 4, 2002
www.rockysbar.com
duhtree said:
JRSYCOLL. This is scary. You say you don't have alot of $ but it sounds like you are buying 'blind' with no real grasp of the reality of a purchase in the D.R. Like a sheep to slaughter. Say it ain't so? John
I don't understand this.
I thought I missed something, but I have seen no evidence of the OP buying blind, insomuch as trying to find out info about condos in the Sosua/Cabarete area.
I think the sheep ready for slaughter are the ones who don't ask questions, think they know it all, go out and buy whatever, then live with the consequences.
This does not seem to be the case here, at least, IMHO.

duhtree

Jun 2, 2003
Maybe I am jumping the gun,Marco. But, she says that the 'realtor is pushing' and 'I like the one in Cabarete though I was only there 1 day'. 'We only have a little money'. They haven't seen much and are already narrowing the field and being 'handled by the realtor.
$125,000.00 is not ' a little money', to me. Can't imagine their spending much less when all is said and done. Just a feeling, John

Rocky

Apr 4, 2002
www.rockysbar.com
duhtree said:
Maybe I am jumping the gun,Marco. But, she says that the 'realtor is pushing'
That's the part I don't like. I hate any pushy salesperson, specially when it involves a purchase of substantial proportion, such as this.
duhtree said:
and 'I like the one in Cabarete though I was only there 1 day'. 'We only have a little money'. They haven't seen much and are already narrowing the field and being 'handled by the realtor.
What else can newbie do, in the absence of other contacts, but get shuttled around by real eastate agents, when looking to buy?
The OP now has DR1 members on his/her side to assist, so things are looking up.
duhtree said:
$125,000.00 is not ' a little money', to me.
It sure is to me, but to some people, it's chump change.
duhtree said:
Can't imagine their spending much less when all is said and done. Just a feeling, John
If it's a 2 bed unit, I agree.
If it's a 1 bed condo, there are lots of good possibilities for half that price.

Island777

Oct 9, 2005
Cita del Sol is under new management and there are many new owners who have shown interest in having the place run competently. The past adminstration had some difficulties and attracted lots of motorcycles. Things have changed and are looking up. Contact Peter Mckenna, the new administrator, at 809-608-4511 or the front desk at 809-571-0720 for more information.

rmary

Oct 4, 2003
Island777 said:
Cita del Sol is under new management and there are many new owners who have shown interest in having the place run competently. The past adminstration had some difficulties and attracted lots of motorcycles. Things have changed and are looking up. Contact Peter Mckenna, the new administrator, at 809-608-4511 or the front desk at 809-571-0720 for more information.

That is very interesting news. The motorcycles didn't really bother us as guests (they never seemed to bother anybody, at least while we were there) but if we were potential buyers...........

Rose

JRSYCOLL

Mar 10, 2003
Thanks everyone

Thanks for the helpful suggestions everyone. And Rocky, I appreciate your saying I am attempting to be an informed consumer. You are totally right, which is why I am asking questions. I also have friends that live in Puerto Plata that will be looking at properties I suggest..and when they say yes..then I will fly in. Like I said..we don't have a lot of money, but really love the DR. Where did that $121,000.00 come from??? That's way more than we are looking to invest.I agree..if we had that kind of money..we'd be there for a month or so lookin on our own.Our price range is 55,000. or under...hence the (1) bedroom condo.
I actually received some very favorable replies about Las Canas..that they got their act together and are under new management.The electric problem has been rectified etc..etc..
I am just going to continue my search..hopefully we will find something soon.
Again..........everyone..thanks for the comments and suggestions. I listen to you before any people in the sales field.:bunny: :bunny:

WeeJee

Jun 26, 2006
Why don't you try renting a condo first to see if you can get all the info you need. I went with a new company here: and spoke to Spencer (???). He can help you like me to find somewhere to rent with option to buy. Mine was for $35000!

Last edited by a moderator:

scsccs34

Apr 24, 2006
if you plan to buy, just wait, probably before next year with the crime wave and the air tickets raising, you will find the same apartments for half price.

also, the wave of dumb buyers from usa/europe seems to be over, I was talking with some real state ppl in sosua/cabarete last month and they seemed very nervous, big change from 1 year ago...

twhitehead

Bronze
Nov 1, 2003
scsccs34 said:
if you plan to buy, just wait, probably before next year with the crime wave and the air tickets raising, you will find the same apartments for half price.

also, the wave of dumb buyers from usa/europe seems to be over, I was talking with some real state ppl in sosua/cabarete last month and they seemed very nervous, big change from 1 year ago...

an expert opinion I take it...:glasses:

ecarignan

Jan 9, 2003
www.commtech.ca
The folks I know involved in real estate at C21 and Hispaniola have never been busier so, not sure what you're talking about for real estate people being very nervous. Most real estate folks and investor have a very positive outlook of the future. Stop being so negative and enjoy life!