Massage Therapy

missp

May 19, 2006
Hi everyone,

I'm going to be living in DR soon and will be looking for some part time work. Ive noticed a lot of Massage places on my previous visits and as qualified Masseuse I was thinking that this might be my best starting point. I currently have my own business working from home and visiting clients. However, a few discussions on this site have led me to the conclusion that a lot of these places might be - how can i put this - less than respectable? if you know what I'm saying.

So what I'm wondering is, is this assumption correct - or is it just odd places that attract 'those' kind of clients? In England these kind of places are illegal but is it the same in DR?

Is professional massage popular in DR? What kind of wages does it pay and are the best places to look for work the big hotel complexes? Or can i set up on my own as i do currently?

Any information and opinions would be gratefully received.

Miss P

rellosk

Silver
Mar 18, 2002
Most of the MP's in the DR are as you say, "less than respectable". However, most of the mid to upscale hotels provide "more respectable" massages. I'm not sure the wages they pay, or if they hire part time workers.

carina

Silver
Mar 13, 2005
There are several places ( local ) that are respectable as well, apart from the ones that Rellosk refer to. Usually it is people, one or two, that runs their own business, and work themselves. Local prices, if that is your target group, is around 250-300 RDS/hr here in Puerto Plata.
I know of none that have employees though, exept a private rehab office, that has one.

Very few hotels hire foreigners, in Puerto Plata ( i.e Playa Dorada/Costa Dorada ) it is only in executive positions, and sometimes at Kids Clubs.
Otherwise the staff is local, as the salaries.

I don´t know where on the island you´re moving. Here in Puerto Plata several foreigners have tried to open businesses in massage, but they all close after some time, due to lack of activity.

missp

May 19, 2006
Thanks

Thanks for the info, I'll bear those comments in mind. I'm going to be living on the South coast - initially the La Romana Area. Anyone have experiences or information from this area?

pol73

May 21, 2006
In am also relocating from the Uk to La Romana- I'll pay you!! (above board of course- i am female!) Casa de Campo has spa facilities- i take on board what Carina says hotels about hiring locals but it might be worth a look? Also there are a lot of Uk teachers are housed nearby: English Education stress levels? I'm hoping not, but you never know! ;-)

Chris

Gold
Oct 21, 2002
www.caribbetech.com
When you have a look at the hotels, it may be worth pitching those without massage therapists for a space for you to work in their complex for a percentage earnings. Good for them and good for you, and you could perhaps work with a few hotels. You need to have some contacts for this though.

carina

Silver
Mar 13, 2005
The idea is splendid, but the hotels don´t rent out spaces on that manner. The rent at the hotels that do rent out, as well as in the plazas, are beyond realistic terms. A small boot in the Plaza for instance is around 40.000 RDS/month, not even a room, just a boot.

Chris

Gold
Oct 21, 2002
www.caribbetech.com
carina said:
The idea is splendid, but the hotels don?t rent out spaces on that manner. The rent at the hotels that do rent out, as well as in the plazas, are beyond realistic terms. A small boot in the Plaza for instance is around 40.000 RDS/month, not even a room, just a boot.

You're confused. I am not talking about rentals, I am talking about a business arrangement between a massage therapist and a hotel. I can take you to two hotels on the North Coast that I know of, that have a massage therapist come in periodically. I am positive there are more. Some smaller boutique hotels are interested in providing a better service to their customers and may not necessarily have the ability to have a full time therapist attached to their operation. I have also seen this work very well on another island. It is called providing an additional service to your guests and subcontracting that service. The hotel usually takes bookings through their reservations desk and the massage therapist and the hotel come to a financial agreement.

I do not know how widespread this practice may be in the DR besides the two that I know of, but if it is not, it is a market opportunity for a good therapist.

carina

Silver
Mar 13, 2005
I am not confused. The rent was an example of what kind of money the association expects for nothing. I know what you wrote about, and I replied as PD and CD are concerned, not the rest of the island, that they don´t do these kind of business arrangements you suggested unfortunately, but expects very high rentals for anyone wanting to provide services to their clientel. That´s the way the mind works there.

Edited to include:
The OP hasn´t said where she planned to move, so the hotels you know of might be a start then.

carina

Silver
Mar 13, 2005
Yes. That is the posting of the OP, AFTER my posting.

Anyway, moving on. I suggest you might want to send LUZCACE an email or PM. You can go to his blog. He is a good friend, and the operative executive chef of the Coral by Hilton hotels on the island, as well as having been in the business for 19 years in DR. Although he cannot provide employment, I am sure he can give you some information about how the services you want to work in is set up in the area you want to move to.

His blog is here.

Chris

Gold
Oct 21, 2002
www.caribbetech.com
It is always a good idea to read the posts between your last one and your current one. That way you pick up on all the information on the thread. At least this perhaps is what most people do.

Anyway, I think the original questions have been answered. To recap ...
How respectable are massage places in the DR?
Is professional massage popular?
The wages?
What are the best places to look for work (The big hotels or set up on her own?)

I think most of these have been answered and you have given a nice link to an Exec Chef that may answer more questions about setting up as a massage therapist. So, altogether helpful to a new poster.

Good luck missp!

carina

Silver
Mar 13, 2005
Chris said:
It is always a good idea to read the posts between your last one and your current one. That way you pick up on all the information on the thread. At least this perhaps is what most people do.

Anyway, I think the original questions have been answered. To recap ...
How respectable are massage places in the DR?
Is professional massage popular?
The wages?
What are the best places to look for work (The big hotels or set up on her own?)

I think most of these have been answered and you have given a nice link to an Exec Chef that may answer more questions about setting up as a massage therapist. So, altogether helpful to a new poster.

Good luck missp!

My 1st post was a reply concerning Playa Dorada/ Costa Dorada. At that point the OP hadn´t stated she planned to move to La Romana. In my second post I referred to this. But thanks for your advice.

Luzcace can, as I also stated, NOT give info about how to set up a massage business or employment as such. He CAN though, as having a real insight in the hotel organizations and their way of working, possibly give any inputs or info about how this works in the area of the OPs interest. I.e do they hire, are there businesses around, do they work on % deals etc etc.

He is a good friend, and the operative executive chef of the Coral by Hilton hotels on the island, as well as having been in the business for 19 years in DR. Although he cannot provide employment, I am sure he can give you some information about how the services you want to work in is set up in the area you want to move to.

:tired:

Alfred

Oct 12, 2011
Hmm thats very good u can simply start u bussiness same like before u start it there is no reason day by day u can increase u can open it ur own massage center u got the guts u can do where ever u want to best of luck...........

Tamborista

hasta la tambora
Apr 4, 2005
Hmm thats very good u can simply start u bussiness same like before u start it there is no reason day by day u can increase u can open it ur own massage center u got the guts u can do where ever u want to best of luck...........

Why do you keep responding to FIVE year old threads?

Lolitula

Mar 16, 2011
There are definitely less-respectable places out there, but you're on target if you look into upscale resorts or villas primarily. I can't speak for villas, but a lot of all-inclusive and higher end resorts will allow you to sort of rent out a space (a room) for massage, where people are looking for something professional.

Look into areas like Punta Cana, etc., which are a little touristy but more likely to have the big resorts that're looking for your skill set and likely to pay a little better, too! If you get a good name for yourself down here you may be able to secure work at a villa, which is good $ (in most cases) and references for you back home, too! Good luck!