Please help with my tour of Santo Domingo!

Kaki

Sep 18, 2005
Hola!

I spent a day spinning through Santo Domingo in April and am now turning to you experts to help me identify some of what I saw. Once I have a name for a building or area, then I'll do further research on my own. Any info that you can provide would be most helpful.

http://community.webshots.com/album/551238328VGVkXt

This is the first place I thought of as a source to get my knowledge. Thanks...so much!

Kaki
kaki.ulan@sasktel.net

GringoCArlos

Retired Ussername
Jan 9, 2002
The Puente Flotante is over the River Ozama, which divides Santo Domingo into east and west. At the mouth of this harbor is where the Dominican Navy is based. This area is called the port of Ozama. There are larger harbors where most of the shipping occurs, in the western part of the City.

The area between the Puente Flotante and the monument to the Mirabal sisters is called the Zona Colonial, which were the original buildings put up when they began colonizing Santo Domingo. The fort was the protection for the mouth of Rio Ozama, but not all of the walls are original, some were put up for show by Trujillo. The Calle de Las Damas near the old cathedral was the original street where the colonial women would go for a Sunday walk.

The wall with the building behind it with many arches, was the original government house in Columbus' time (correct me here if I'm wrong, guys).

The 'busy street' is called El Conde and it is the main pedestrian shopping area of the Colonial Zone. No vehicles allowed.

The steep street paved with bricks is in the Colonial zone, and at the top is an open air amphitheater in the ruins. The Swiss Boys Choir has appeared there.

The photos from 1965 were hung on the fence around Parque de Independencia, which is where the remains of the 3 leaders of the fight for independence of the Domincan Republic are buried.

The monument to the Mirabal sisters is on the Malecon, which goes along the seafront.

The man 'sitting' in the street is a crippled man, who begs from passing cars in order to survive. The 'informal' economy is very active in Santo Domingo, and everyone you see in the streets selling newspapers, candies, fruit, cell phone chargers and covers, flowers, tv antennas, steering wheel covers, Skim Ice, phone cards, puppies, birds, bottled water, peanuts, are all making their living here. So are the kids washing windshields. There are also one-legged men, people in wheelchairs, people who need surgery, Haitian women carrying their babies, etc begging.

You saw the oldest parts of Santo Domingo. You did a good job for one day, but you have just scratched the surface of Santo Domingo.

Kaki

Sep 18, 2005
Thanks GringoCarlos!

Thank you so much for your thorough answer and for taking the time to churn through all the pictures!

Some interesting bits and I really appreciate the confirmation of what I already had.

You're right about scratching the surface! By loading my pictures I made myself so excited about my return, sadly it won't be for a while.

I look forward to futher comments and corrections!

Kaki