Business relations in DR

R

r jacob

Dear Freddy,
I am a MBA student in Trinidad and Tobago. I have chosen your country for a project study. I make a simple request. Can you provide me with any information on business relations in DR. How are introductions made, how is protocol conducted and any unusual customs unique to the DR that foreigners must be aware of in order to close good deals and maintain lasting relationships.

I would be more than happy to hear from you.
Many thanks.

F

Freddy

You want me to do your work for you?

Why don't you ask me a few very specific questions and I'll give you some specific answers.

The way your question is asked, it would take a couple of pages to answer.

I'd love to help you but you've got to help me help you.

R

r jacob

Thanks for responding. Do my work for me?, not at the least !
1. If I want to do business with a company in DR is it necessary for me to have a middleman?
2. Is it common to shake hands on first meeting, and, everytime after we meet?
3. Do Dominicans recognise their Caribbean neighbours for their business acumen and as key business partners?
4. Are business dealings conducted over lunch meetings?
5. Are business persons in DR considered aggressive or passive?

F

Frederic

1. If I want to do business with a company in DR is it necessary for me to have a middleman? NO. It might be convenient initially, until you get to know the business environment, but it is not necessary.

2. Is it common to shake hands on first meeting, and, everytime after we meet? YES. It is common for men and women to shake hands the first time and afterwards. And between women, or men and women, one cheek to cheek kiss-in-the-air is also common.

3. Do Dominicans recognise their Caribbean neighbours for their business acumen and as key business partners? NOT VERY MUCH, it is only recently that the Dominican business community is looking seriously toward their neighbors. About 85% of all DR trade is conducted with the U.S., about 8% with the European Union and the rest 7% with the rest of the world.Only about 1% of DR trade is with the Caribbean, mainly importing from Trinidad and Tobago and Exporting to Jamaica.

4. Are business dealings conducted over lunch meetings? YES. Dominicans tend to prefer to first develop a certain level of personal relationship, to develop trustworthiness before compromising themselves. Lucnh permits smalltalk to occur, conversations about each other's business deals, families, sports, hobbies, etc. to develop and then slowly, towards the end of the lunch, for the business deal to be talked about. Business dealings are also conducted over playing golf or tennis or other sports at a local country club or hotel, or at home dinners, over drinks at the end of the afternoon, etc.

5. Are business persons in DR considered aggressive or passive? Even though it might not appear to be so, the DR business community os one of the most aggresive in the region. Just look at the results. Just look at their influence on politics and policies. The facts speak louder than the deceptive appearances.

R

r jacob

Thanks again for providing the information.
A few more to satisfy my new fascination with your country.
1. Some countries have a few taboo subjects, are there many in DR? Can you tell me of two and what they mean?
2. Can you identify any unusual mannerisms of Dominicans that a businessperson should be wary of?
3. Is English widely used?

I hope to visit your country one day. Have you ever been to Trinidad and Tobago?

F

Frederic

1. Some countries have a few taboo subjects, are there many in DR? Can you tell me of two and what they mean? Its a hard question. Nothing really comes to mind except religion and politics, specially politics where dominicans tend to take sides and strong postures. And of course Drugs are taboo---there si no tolerance for drugs and drug addicts.

2. Can you identify any unusual mannerisms of Dominicans that a businessperson should be wary of? YES. A tendency to exagerate things is very dominican. A lot of dominicans tend to make believe and sometimes believe themselves, that they have more than they really have, that they can do more than they really can do, that they are the only beholders of the truth, beauty and righteousness. Our things are always the best, the largest, the first, the most, etc. etc. and we are always right.

3. Is English widely used? Yes, for a spanish speaking country english is widely used, of course with foreigners mainly, and among the higher income groups and the Dominican-Yorks (Dominicans that live in New York)

Have I ever been to Trinidad and Tobago? YES many, many times, maybe over a dozen times over the last 10 years. About 6-7 times during the last three years during the free trade negotiations between CARICOM and the DR and to some Heads of CARICOM meetings, as Deputy Secretary of State of Foreign Affairs. I really like your country a lot ! An its people are wonderful !

A

Alicja

Your information has been very useful also for me.
I'm a student from Poland writing a paper about cross-cultural communication.
I have been three times to the Dominican Republic and hope to be back soon. I love this country!

F

Frederic

Good for you !

Its always a pleasure to help.

Good luck and success !

And, have a Merry Christmas and a Happy New Year

R

r jacob

Dear Frederic,

I just to express my sincere thanks to you for providing the information on your country.

Have a happy and holy Christmas and a bright 2001.

Raj

PS Alicja from Poland - How did you enjoy the course on cross-cultural comunication?

L

Loren

This has been a fascinating discussion thread. Especially for me, an American of caribbean ancestry (Bahamas)with business experience in the Domincan Republic and married to a Dominican.

Of all the places I have been in the world, the Dominicans are the nicest. Frederic is right about one thing, man they exaggerate! They are very very clever, resourceful like nobody I've ever seen, and skilled negotiators/hagglers. Some consider business a match of wits, and the foreign businessman should understand this or risk "getting their feelings hurt."

Fortunately (for me) Dominicans seem to truly like Americans. Unfortunately, many Dominicans can't stand Haitians. Freddy, I think you would concur with me on this: The Spanish speaking Caribbean is far less formal than the English speaking Caribbean. I can't think of anything I would be uncomfortable discussing with Dominican associates that would be acceptable in other polite company. The English Caribbean seems to take more social cues from Europe. I dont know how Trinidad is, but I would be far less apprehensive about asking a Dominican associate out for a drink than I would about asking a Bahamian out.

For what it's worth, the food is not as spicy in the D.R. When I ask for hot sauce, the restaurants often have to go find some. When I cooked some curried chicken for my wife, she acted like it was food from Mars!

Merry Christmas,
Loren

J

james stewart

Having experience doing buisness in your country. [I am american but a resident buisnessman for 21 years in the Dominican Republic]Comparing the form of buisness contacts. [Yours more like the British and Jamaica] Do not expect to start buisness at 7 AM with a call to your Dominican contacts as the day starts with a little less demanding approach. Set up appointments prior to your expected time and expect to possibly complete them within your time frame. Do not be ofended by slight changes in appointments they are usually not the fault of the Dominican more the fault of infurstructure here. In your country the public services Traffic lights,water,electricity function very well. Here if you get up in the morning for a inportant appointment their may be no lights to shave by traffick jams may retard you up to an hour or more just to cross town. along with many outher problems too long to explain now. Just remember and I know most buisnessmen in the DR are very concious of their approch to buisness it is the uncontrolled things that at times makes them apear difrently.

R

r jacob

Freddy,
It seems that from a few questions, considerable amount of interest has been stimulated. Keep it it open !!!!

Raj

D

David

Hi.
I am currently doing a business project concerning the business customs in the Dominican Republic. If it is not too much trouble... would you be able to answer a few of these questions?

1. What is usually the business attire for people in the Dominican Republic?

2. Are there any gift giving customs in for business?

3. If there any way in which people identify themselves in status or rank in business?

If you would answer these questions, I would greatly appreciate it. Thank you for your time.

F

Frederic

1. What is usually the business attire for people in the Dominican Republic?

The wealthier the more formal we dress, unless you are one of the wealthiest, in which case you dress however you please. Really, we dress very much like in the U.S. (suit and tie), and if you are already familiar then you dress more casually.

2. Are there any gift giving customs in for business?

Not really, of course unless its christmas. However inviting to lunch or dinner is more common than in other countries.

3. If there any way in which people identify themselves in status or rank in business?

Not really. We are a very democratic society, without major economic class, ethnic or racial differences. You could say that you can identify the higher ranks by the car they drive, the size of their yachts or planes, the restaurants they go to and the places where they spend their weekends or vacations and of course where they go to snow-ski in january-march. Even though there are many that can't afford it but do it, and many that can afford it and don't do it.