Import tariff

J

J. Henry

What is tariff on womens clothing for resale in a local boutique if one brings it in as personal luggage on flights into Santo Domingo from U. S.?

F

Freddy

If you declare it as merchandise it actually pays a 35% tariff. After the tariff reform now being discussed in Congress is approved it will only pay 20%.

If you declare it as your personal luggage it would not pay duty at all, but the customs officers have the authority to ask you to open your luggage and to evaluate if the clothing is for commercial purposes or not, and if they consider that all or part of your luggage is commercial merchandise, they can charge you the corresponding tariff.

The value used for applying the tariff is based on their estimate, but there is a GATT valuation reform in process that will oblige them to charge you based on the commercial invoice. So travel with your commercial invoice if you don't want them to arbitrarily estimate the value of your merchandise.

It also depends on the quantity of clothes your are carrying and the time you will spend. For example, nobody will probably ask you questions if you come for say 30 days and bring 12-15 suits or dresses; you might be a socialite, a model or just dressy. But if you are coming for a week or are bringing in other gender than your's clothes in large quantities, you are tempting the devil.

D

Diane

Re: Import tariff for car?

Hello Freddy,

I like to bring my car to the DR, but I like to know what kind of taxes & duty fees the customs will charge me?

Also, my car is 10 years old, and was wondering if there is any additional tax for older car?
and last, how do they estimated the price of your car? Is it with your invoice (at the time of purchase).

Keep up the good work. :)

Thank you.

F

Frederic

These taxes and the valuation process are being discussed in our Congress, precisely now, when there is a bill reforming these and other taxes.

We expect these issues to be defined in 1-2 weeks at the most.

Once I have the approved Law, I will send you the info you require.

Please be patient and check DR1's daily news, where this info will be published the same day it happens.

I'll contact you later.

C

Christopher

Frederic,

Any news on this. I have relatives in NYC that tell me that any car older than a 1996 is prohibited from being imported into the DR. Any truth to this?

Also, during a recent trip to the DR I was told that there is a graduated tariff structure culminating at a 50% tariff for vehicles over US$20k. Any word on this?

Any help you could provide would be outstanding. I am attempting to send a decent car to my in-laws, so I need to find out as much as I can.

Thanks.

-Christopher

F

Frederic

Sorry...No news on this. The DR Congress failed to meet today to agree on the new tariff and tax package. Maybe Tomorrow. Supposedly they need to approve something before the 31st of December. If not, the Government would have no budget and would have to start running on last years budget numbers---which spells out a mess.

As soon as something happens I'll post it. Be patient and monitor this message board.

S

St?phane

I would like to know the import tarrif for:

Blank CD

music CD ex: Madonna,Britney Spears etc...

Men`s T-Shirt
Men`s Shirt

Thank you in advance

Stephane

F

Frederic

T SHIRTS WILL NOW PAY A 20% CUSTOMS DUTY (TARIFF).
SHIRTS WILL ALSO PAY 20%

A FINISHED CD WILL ALSO PAY 20%,

BUT BLANK CDs SHOULD PAY 8%---YOU SHOULD CONFIRM THIS WITH CUSTOMS --- IF THEY CONSIDER IT AN INTERMEDDIATE PRODUCT NOT PRODUCED IN THE DR IT WILL ONLY PAY 8%, BUT IF THEY CONSIDER IT A CLOSE SUBSTITUTE OF BLANK MUSIC TAPES, CASSETTES, ETC, THEY COULD WANT TO CHARGE 14%.

HOWEVER, AS INPUTS OF COMPUTER SOFTWARE/HARDWARE YOU COULD GET AWAY WITH PAYING 0%, YES---ZERO PERCENT TARIFF; SO DO CONSULT WITH DR CUSTOMS.