business relations

T

tracy

I am involved in an mba program in providence ri. i need to confirm or disprove certain business related ethics that i learned from a personal interview of a former citizen. the following is the information that was given to me.

1. Dress is very important in a business setting.
2. If asked to go to lunch, it is wise to go to avoid offending the person.
3. Is it proper to give a good amount of personal space when first meeting someone.
4. Are business cards usually exchanged?
5. How is lunch time handled? Do companies close for an hour to give a siesta?
6. Are women treated the same in the business community as men?

Any help that you can give me would be appreciated

F

Frederic

1. Dress is very important in a business setting. YES - Dominican businessmen dress in suits w/ties and businesswomen in pantsuits or similar formal wear; and unless they already know you they will tend to judge you by your dress.

2. If asked to go to lunch, it is wise to go to avoid offending the person. NO. I don't think anybody here will feel offended if you don't accept their invitation to lunch. But Dominicans, very much like asians and middle-easterners, like to know you before doing business with you. Some will even want to invite you to their house instead of a restaurant. This provides them the opportunity to evaluate you and decide if you are trustworthy, reliable, honest, an alcoholic, etc. before signing any contract with you. This also creates a certain ambiance for them to ask you for better terms on a deal, like more credit, financing, etc.

3. Is it proper to give a good amount of personal space when first meeting someone. YES. Unlike other cultures, Dominicans like to stand or sit very apart and talk louder than others.

4. Are business cards usually exchanged? NO. Unless you are in a trade fair, business lunch, seminar, etc. But it is not a strong tradition; maybe because it is a samll business community and everybody knows everybody already. However if you are new it will usually be convenient and expected that you give out cards---but don't expect any back. Dominicans do however exchange a lot of cards when travelling because they need to---they are not so well known outside, as they are inside their country.

5. How is lunch time handled? Do companies close for an hour to give a siesta? NOT ANY MORE. We follow a more americanized schedule. Usually 9:00 to 5:00, with a short break for lunch. However, higher executives will take up to 2 hours for lunch and might take an ocassional 20-30 minute nap, especially if in the older age groups. Rarely will anyone take the traditional 1 hour SIESTA anymore.

6. Are women treated the same in the business community as men? YES, among the less than 60 generation, NOT so much among the older generation. As a matter of fact, in some sectors of the business community there are more women than men. The younger the business crowd the lesser the differences between the genders. Its how much you sell that counts, not your gender. Nonetheless, even though you will find women at the top management levels, you might not find as many in the Boards of Directors, which are usually formed by very closed groups of associates, usually belonging to the same families because they are the descendants of the owners or mayor shareholder, and tend to be male dominated.