Best Places in Boca Chica

Dirty Girl

Jun 12, 2006
I'm going to be in Boca Chica from June 20th to the 24th, and just wondered which places on Duarte are the best as far as bars and restaurants. I just don't want to end up sitting in a hooker bar and not realizing it!
Also wondering if I can get a phone (rent? buy?) to use while I'm there. I'm going to be there again so it wouldn't be a total waste. My cell phone won't work there.

Last edited:

rellosk

Silver
Mar 18, 2002
Welcome to DR1!

Most of the bars in BC on Duarte are working girl friendly. If you are uncomfortable with that, than you shouldn't hang in BC at night.

In the distant past I've rented a phone from the Verizon center in the airport.

Some of the hotels also rent phones. Which hotel are you staying at?

Depending on how long you are going to be in the DR, another alternative might be to buy a phone. If you can find a place that sells used phones, you can probably get one for under $50US.

Tamborista

hasta la tambora
Apr 4, 2005
Buy any CDMA phone off of eBAy for under $20 including shipping, go to the kiosk near the access road to Hamaca for a free activation, look for the "Verizon" sign. You just need to buy a card.

rellosk

Silver
Mar 18, 2002
Tamborista said:
Buy any CDMA phone off of eBAy for under $20 including shipping, go to the kiosk near the access road to Hamaca for a free activation, look for the "Verizon" sign. You just need to buy a card.
It may not be that simple. A few years back I tried to bring an old Sprint phone and they weren't able to activate it in BC. It's possible the guy didn't know what he was doing.

It was in the place across the street from the MadHouse, I mean Gibbys, I mean The Liquor Store.:laugh:

DavidZ

Silver
Aug 29, 2005
www.vipcigartours.com
Any CDMA phone can be activated, but most sprint, virgin, us cellular, etc have to be reprogrammed, which Verizon doesnt do, but they usually know where to send you (costs about 300 pesos). I think all, or at least most Verizon US phones can be activated right at the Verizon kiosk.

rellosk

Silver
Mar 18, 2002
DavidZ said:
Any CDMA phone can be activated, but most sprint, virgin, us cellular, etc have to be reprogrammed, which Verizon doesnt do, but they usually know where to send you (costs about 300 pesos).
That sounds about right. The guy wanted to send the phone to the Capital because he couldn't get it activated. Unfortunately I didn't have enough time to have it done.

Tamborista

hasta la tambora
Apr 4, 2005
This guy is an authorized VZ Dominicana dealer, I have activated StarTacs, T720's and others here gratis, just up the hill from Duarte on the Hamaca side.

Dirty Girl

Jun 12, 2006
I'm staying at El Caucho. Last time I was there I stayed at the Hamaca, but trying to keep the cost down this trip. Also want to try something other than an all-inclusive. I thought it would be great to have a phone when I'm there, I have a friend there who will be working and it would help to keep in touch
As far as the bars go I just wonder if there are any that I should really try to avoid. It doesn't really bother me that there is prostitution, just want to stay away from the worst places, if there are any.
Anyone have favorite places to eat?
Thanks everyone!

jrzyguy

Bronze
May 5, 2004
there is really one one working girls bar...it wont be hard to miss. older gringo tourists men outside...and well..nearly all girls inside. it is seedy...but i wouldnt call it dangerous.

The rest of the street is pretty quiet...with manly euro's and families hanging out till about 11pm.

As a single tall 40 year old guy i have never had problems getting to my hotel in the middle of the night...are you traveling solo? IF you are traveling as a single woman i would exersise some caution getting back to your hotel at night. Not sure exactly where it is located. If you are traveling with a friend or two...not a problem at all.

For eats...Fernando's...it is near the central parque...turn the corner on duarte and its right on the left. Nothing fabulous...but good traditional food and very reasonable prices (get the camarones creole...but make sure to ask for the camarones grande). Decent pollo guisado, pescado frito etc.

another good budget bet is the german place right in the middle of duarta @ plaza bonita. Pizza for two is a not a bad deal...and the pizza (while not to NYC standards) aint bad. They serve a decent breakfast as well. (a simple pork loin dinner tho took nearly 3 hrs from start to finish...ahhhhh...dominican waiter service!! lol)

if da nancy (behind the hamaca) is still around...decent italian...a little pricier...but very good (get the rice with seafood).

Not sure if Neptuno's is worth the price (i hear around 40-50 usd PP). I am just very fussy when it comes to food...and for that price i am going to expect something exceptional. I hear it is quite good tho...but i am a frugal traveler :)

good luck! and be sure to give us a brief trip report when you get back!

Last edited:
G

gary short

jrzyguy....do you write for the travel industry...if not you should.

Dirty Girl

Jun 12, 2006
Thanks jrzyguy. I was at Isla Bonita in March and although we never ate there, the food smelled awesome. Definitely goin to try it. My hotel is down the street from Dominican Bay, so its quite a way from where the action is on Duarte. And yes I am a single woman. So how the hell do I get home at night?!

jrzyguy

Bronze
May 5, 2004
i am giving this question some serious thought.

Like i said...i am 6'3" 40 and around 200 lbs. So i have never had a problem stumbling up the hill to either candil or costalunga. (both about 2 blocks from duarte). I never have had a problem....but the occasional motoconcho has pulled over and asked me if i was looking for some "freaky freaky". I politely declined (cept for maybe once :)

Someone correct me if i am wrong. But i believe the that motoconchos that are on duarte are "licenced" and therefore a pretty safe bet for a ride home at night.

Just remember to leave your jewely (indluding watch) at home...and i mean home. Dont go around at night with too many pesos...enough for your dinner and a couple of drinks etc. Dont take money out of an ATM at night and then hang out (target!).

Boca Chica is pretty safe, even if a tad seedy. They really try to make it safe for tourists who dont want to stay at hamaca etc.

My only concern for you is that you are a single girl. I have seen single female tourist tho in BC...who seem to get around no problem. Not trying to scare ya...just giving you a heads up.

Last edited:

rellosk

Silver
Mar 18, 2002
jrzyguy said:
there is really one one working girls bar...it wont be hard to miss. older gringo tourists men outside...and well..nearly all girls inside. it is seedy...but i wouldnt call it dangerous.
Which place is that? I don't want to accidentally stumble in there. :)

rellosk

Silver
Mar 18, 2002
Dirty Girl said:
And yes I am a single woman. So how the hell do I get home at night?!
Take a motoconcho, like 95% of the tourists do.

Disclaimer: I am one of the 5% that never take a montococho.

bigbird

Gold
May 1, 2005
rellosk said:
Which place is that? I don't want to accidentally stumble in there. :)

It used to be called Route 66, it is now the Piano Bar. There is an old red gas station pump in front of the bar.

jrzyguy

Bronze
May 5, 2004
rellosk said:
Take a motoconcho, like 95% of the tourists do.

Disclaimer: I am one of the 5% that never take a montococho.

thanks rellosk. I just wanted someone to confirm that i wasnt giving out bad advise by Saying that it is safe to take a moto at night (for a single female)...while i believe they are safe...i ususaly just walk myself.

jrzyguy

Bronze
May 5, 2004
rellosk said:
It does seems strange since it seems like she was trying to avoid the working girls.

I was going to suggest...that if its not to late..that she might want to reconsider her hotel pick...and perhaps stay at candil. (2 blocks from duarte)...or even one of the places right on the beach. just easier and safer is all.

Dirty Girl

Jun 12, 2006
Well that's a good question. The reason I chose El Caucho is because it's the only other place I've been to in BC. I visited a friend there when I was staying at the Hamaca. The price is right but I supose there are others that have the same rates? Unfortunately, I really didn't look into it much before I made my reservation. As far as the working girls go, I'm not afraid of them or anything, just don't want anyone to think I'm one of them LOL!
(As you guys can see, I need all the help I can get, starting to sound like a fool!)