Purchasing New Baseball Equipment

jessicalee_nv

Jul 1, 2004
Can anyone tell me where in the DR I can purchase baseball equipment and what the approx cost would be? I am trying to gauge whether it would be more cost effective to purchase in the States and ship to the DR, or if purchasing in the DR would be better.

Any and all input would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,
Jess

trina

Silver
Jan 3, 2002
What were you intending on purchasing? My husband wanted to purchase some bats in the past and take them to the DR, because he said that they were much cheaper in Canada (uhuh, whatever...). I convinced him to buy them in the DR, because I told him I highly doubted an individual (of course, I'm assuming it's different if ballteams travel via airplane, they would need to transport this type of equipment) can transport a bat in their suitcase, with airline regulations these days. You might want to check into that before you purchase. That being said, I'm not sure it does cost more or less here for baseball equipment - I think my husband was just trying to scam me into using "my" money here so he didn't have to use "his" money there. I guess you can't blame him for trying! ;)

jessicalee_nv

Jul 1, 2004
Trina,

Thanks for the super quick reply! :cheeky: I'm looking to outfit a youth team of approx 30. I'd like to supply pretty much everything from bats, gloves, catcher gear, balls, bases, pitching rubber, spikes, etc. Considering that we will be buying a larger quantity of items, we would not be carrying it in our personal suitcases, but rather ship it as cargo.

I'm trying to compare costs in the DR with what I'd pay in the States plus shipping and customs costs.

Thanks again,
Jess :bunny:

trina

Silver
Jan 3, 2002
My, how generous! That's a wonderful gift you are doing. Have you thought about checking out this organization, and working with them? http://www.dr1.com/forums/showthread.php?t=50836

My gut reaction is that it can be purchased in the DR for cheaper, when you work out freight costs. PM Steve Pindar to ask him about freight to the DR, as he knows a lot about this. If you have any contacts (ie) Dominican baseball coaches, managers, etc. in the DR - they may be able to work out a deal for you, so as not to pay "gringo" prices. I know of a couple of ballplayers in the DR that could probably help you, one is Mariano Duncan's little brother Carlos - however, he is out of the country right now and should be returning around August or September. Another lives in the Constanza area, and another in the Sosua area. Let me know if I can be of assistance.

jessicalee_nv

Jul 1, 2004
Trina,

I've shipped equipment with my organization in the past and know Steve and all about his organization. (God bless him for HIS generosity!) In the future I hope to work with him on some bigger projects. :cheeky:

The only thing I'm really looking for is the availability and costs of equipment in the DR. If you have a contact that could get the non "gringo" price :laugh: that would be fantastic! Our target area is San Pedro De Macoris if that makes a difference.

Jess :classic:

BushBaby

Silver
Jan 1, 2002
www.casabush.org
San Pedro de Macoris should make ALL the difference. Why not write an e-mail to Sammy Sosa & see what strings HE can pull? A further thought for your consideration, have a chat with a couple of airlines that go from your nearest airport to Santo Domingo & see if they will allow free (or very reduced) cargo freight as it is for charitable purposes!! ~ Grahame.

confused

I know it's sometimes difficult to tell when someone is being sarcastic, etc. For that reason, I'm a bit confused by what you wrote, BushBaby.

What does your post mean as regards to San Pedro de Macoris and Sammy Sosa?

Can you help me out?

Thanks

Hillbilly

Jan 1, 2002
BOTTOM LINE:
Buy everything in the States and ship it here. Everything here is 3x or 4x what it costs in the states. Do bring aluminum bats...don't forget the odd lefthanded glove (First and fielders)

Good luck..
HB

Snowbird

Jan 17, 2002
Check Your PM

Jess,
Please check your em as I am going to contact you soon.

Also, Steve, I will copy the same to you.

Good to see you posting again.

SB