Driving Directions to Los Tres Ojos

bigbird

Gold
May 1, 2005
Can someone provide driving directions to Los Tres Ojos from Boca Chica?

I also need driving directions from SDQ to Boca Chica.

I can probably get directions from the car rental at the airport but I would prefer to have them in advance.

KateP

Silver
May 28, 2004
bigbird said:

I can probably get directions from the car rental at the airport but I would prefer to have them in advance.

There are a few recent posts on Los Tres Ojos. Here's one I answered to give you an idea of it's location http://www.dr1.com/forums/showthread.php?t=51014&highlight=tres+ojos

To get to Boca Chica from the airport, take a right when you get to the Las Americas autoroute and you'll reach Boca Chica very quickly.

bigbird

Gold
May 1, 2005
KateP said:
There are a few recent posts on Los Tres Ojos. Here's one I answered to give you an idea of it's location http://www.dr1.com/forums/showthread.php?t=51014&highlight=tres+ojos

Thanks Kate, I have made a change of plans and intend to rent a car this trip. This will be my second trip to Boca Chica and my sixth trip to the DR. I would love to see more of the country so I decided to take the big step and rent a car. The rental is $140 for 4 days use while in BC. I will return the car before moving onto SDO.

Do I take the same road to Boca Chica but in the opposite direction to get to Los Tres Ojos? Will there be signs pointing to Tres Ojos? How far from BC is Tres Ojos?

KateP

Silver
May 28, 2004
bigbird said:
Thanks Kate, I have made a change of plans and intend to rent a car this trip. This will be my second trip to Boca Chica and my sixth trip to the DR. I would love to see more of the country so I decided to take the big step and rent a car. The rental is $140 for 4 days use while in BC. I will return the car before moving onto SDO.

Do I take the same road to Boca Chica but in the opposite direction to get to Los Tres Ojos? Will there be signs pointing to Tres Ojos? How far from BC is Tres Ojos?

It's all on the same road, you can't get lost. We'll need someone in Sto. Dgo. to confirm if they've put up any signs because I really can't remember. From Boca Chica I would say it's about 20 minutes. And PLEASE! Be careful when you're driving!!!

bigbird

Gold
May 1, 2005
KateP said:
And PLEASE! Be careful when you're driving!!!

LOL, is it really that bad? I think I will be fine in BC and surrounding areas. I don't have the nerve yet to drive while in SDO.

Ricardo900

Silver
Jul 12, 2004
bigbird said:
LOL, is it really that bad? I think I will be fine in BC and surrounding areas. I don't have the nerve yet to drive while in SDO.
It's not recommended if you don't know your way around and it's not needed in BC. But if you must, I would advise photocopying your drivers license & passport and not getting into any accidents. Good Luck! Oh yeah rent from majors, get all the insurance and check the deductables.

bigbird

Gold
May 1, 2005
Ricardo900 said:
It's not recommended if you don't know your way around and it's not needed in BC. But if you must, I would advise photocopying your drivers license & passport and not getting into any accidents. Good Luck! Oh yeah rent from majors, get all the insurance and check the deductables.

I feel the only way to know my way around would be renting a car and start out slow. All insurance will be provided by my visa credit card. Has anyone experienced any problems declining the CDW and depending on the CC for insurance?

helpmann

On Vacation!
May 18, 2004
Boca Chica Directions

bigbird said:

I'm not familiar with Los Tres Ojos; however, if you're renting from Alamo, a driver will pick you up from SDQ and take you to the rental office on Las Americas (just a few minutes from the airport.)

Once you leave the Alamo office, you will have to drive west, so you can double back to Boca Chica (drive east), unless you see a clearing that allows you to cross the tree-lined median that divides Las Americas. If you don't see a clearing that allows you to make a U-Turn, then you will have to drive west past the toll station (no toll entering) until you can find a safe place to double back.

Once you double-back and start heading east towards Boca Chica, you will need to pay a RD$30 toll fee at the toll station (generally a long queue of cars waiting to get through.) Once you pass the toll station continue driving on Las Americas Highway. As you near the airport make sure that you remain on the highway headed toward San Pedro de Macoris / La Romana (DO NOT HEAD TOWARD the Las Americas Airport.)

Continue driving east on the highway past such noticeable "landmarks" as the Oxígeno Disco (south side of highway) in Andres (5 minutes past the toll station.) Continue driving east on Las Americas (approx. 5 more minutes) until you reach Boca Chica. There are two main streets that lead into Boca Chica, Juan Baptiste Vicini and Caracol. It's a bit difficult to see the Juan Baptiste Vicini exit, so it's probably best to make on right (go south) on Caracol (the street adjacent to the Shell gasoline station / Burger King.)

BTW: Neither Juan Baptiste Vicini or Caracol will have any "signage" to guide you to Boca Chica.

Drive safely,
Helpmann :)

www.bocachicabeach.net/map.html

Last edited:

helpmann

On Vacation!
May 18, 2004
Good Luck!

Ricardo900 said:
I would advise photocopying your drivers license & passport and not getting into any accidents. Good Luck!
I agree. Make sure you keep a copy of your drivers license and passport in the glove compartment.

I didn't start driving in Santo Domingo until my third trip, which was preceded by solo bus trips, car trips w/ friends (more experienced SD drivers), and a lot of walking in Santo Domingo. Even then, I still had to do a lot mapping in advance before I drove anywhere in the city.

Good Luck!

Last edited:

bigbird

Gold
May 1, 2005
helpmann said:
however, if you're renting from Alamo, a driver will pick you up from SDQ and take you to the rental office on Las Americas (just a few minutes from the airport.)

Thanks a lot. I printed 4 copies to take with me. I will be renting from Alamo. I plan to return the car in Santo Domingo. I will be at El Caucho for 4 nights and Hotel Mercure in Santo Domingo for 5 nights. I will get directions to the Alamo office in SDO when I pick up the car.

Thanks again, Everyone makes driving in the DR seem like a nightmare. Can it be any worse than Midtown Manhattan?

helpmann

On Vacation!
May 18, 2004
I'm Still Hitting the Road in July!

bigbird said:
Thanks a lot. I printed 4 copies to take with me. I will be renting from Alamo. I plan to return the car in Santo Domingo. I will be at El Caucho for 4 nights and Hotel Mercure in Santo Domingo for 5 nights. I will get directions to the Alamo office in SDO when I pick up the car.

Thanks again, Everyone makes driving in the DR seem like a nightmare. Can it be any worse than Midtown Manhattan?
It's worse than Midtown Manhattan, but it's still manageable. You just have to take into account that:

1. The signage on the streets and highways is bad to non-existant
2. Some vehicles shouldn't be on the highway (horses, POS cars)
3. There are few people who know how to get anywhere in the city and if they do, their help will always be in Spanish
4. They need more lighting on Las Americas
5. You have a lot people trying to cross Las Americas on foot in the evenings
6. Traffic lights may or may not be working
7. You have a lot people on motorcycle
8. No one uses their turn signals
9. People speed
10. And I believe that drinking and driving is still NOT a criminal offense

Nevertheless, it's worth it! Just pre-plan, slow down if necessary, give yourself time to get to your destination, wear your seatbelt, and have a back up plan (enough Spanish to find a cab/motoconcho you can follow to your destination.)

NOTE: NEVER EVER depend on a DominicanA to guide you anywhere in the city (I don't care if she's a college grad) Don't even expect her to know North or South or "landmarks" (i.e. Rio Ozama, Caribbean Sea)

Good Luck!