Costa Linda Resort...in Juan Dolio...what happened to it?

americangirl

May 30, 2006
I used to go to a resort when i was little called Costa Linda. I guess it was about 15-20 years ago. I went with my father twice...is it still there? Just wondering if anyone knows anything about it. Thanks

MommC

On Vacation!
Mar 2, 2002
dr1.com
A sad tale of a storybook resort.......

About 15 yrs ago (maybe 14) Costa Linda was closed for renovation and updating.
Construction started but the company ran out of funds so a buyer was sought and construction halted.
Finally after several years a new company took over the project and construction began again with new additions and some older parts being torn down.
Then the engineer/architect overseeing the project ran off with the advance and court proceedings against him were started (these things drag out forever in the DR) while construction once again ground to a halt.
Along came Hurricane George which devastated the open structures. The company held a meeting with the time share owners to inform that the project would be rebuilt and repaired however they would have to pay their share of the construction costs (they originally paid $6-$8,000 US for an infinite 'time share' portion of the property) which would total in the range of $90-100,000 US.
The 'time share' owners balked at having to pay this amount and wanted the company to buy them out at $65,000US per 'share'.
Needless to say the company couldn't/wouldn't do so and so the property sits abandoned, falling down and a real eyesore on the beach road.

What a shame! It was such a nice little resort when we stayed there our first two visits to the DR.

It still has the nicest beach in the area which is now used by 'squatters' and some of the 'bungalows' are also being utilized by the Politur and squatters.

Maybe someday all the legalities will be sorted out and the property will be sold to a new developer......

Sigh!:ermm:

MommC

On Vacation!
Mar 2, 2002
dr1.com
Eventually it will happen Wud!!
Hopefully sooner rather than later (altho' it's been an eyesore for the past 12-14 yrs!)

Hillbilly

Jan 1, 2002
Perhaps a good argument not to buy time shares on the south coast (Hurricane Alley)???

Sad to see.

H :D:D

Hillbilly

Jan 1, 2002
Not the worst idea. No hurrican damage that I can remember in more than 40 years....at least notin the condos and hotel complexes....

HB :D:D:D

STEVE G.

Bronze
Apr 2, 2006
community.webshots.com
MommC said:
About 15 yrs ago (maybe 14) Costa Linda was closed for renovation and updating.
Construction started but the company ran out of funds so a buyer was sought and construction halted.....
Hi MommC., I see you know a lot about this area , can you tell me what is going on with Playa Real Resort in Juan Dolio