Lunch in Santo Domingo

kudra

May 6, 2006
I am planning to spend a day in the Zona Colonial. Does anyone know a fabulous lunch place take my aunts (elderly)? They are hoping for some great seafood or local fare in a memorable location! PLEASE HELP!

Hillbilly

Jan 1, 2002
I just checked Bureo (a sort of local guide to dining) and there doesn't seem to be a whole lot to choose from inthe Zona Colonial.
I found:
Anacaona LaTaberna at Isabel la Católica and the corner of El Conde.
Le Patio on Mercedes corner of Meriño
La Atarazana on La Atarazana #5

Of course you can never go wrong at Vesuvios on the malecón or at la Reina de España on Cervantes 105

Good Eating.

HB :D:D

kudra

May 6, 2006
Thanks for the fast response. I am leaving tonite for DR. Will be sure to follow up on your suggestions.

bienamor

Kansas redneck an proud of it
Apr 23, 2004
Not sure of the spelling but

kudra said:
Thanks for the fast response. I am leaving tonite for DR. Will be sure to follow up on your suggestions.

La Brechola, on More?o y padre billini 2 blocks south of El Conde, across form a little Plaza, and there is a new one on that same plaza

Chirimoya

Dec 9, 2002
Meson de Bari, on Calle Hostos fits with your requirements - local fare, seafood, memorable setting, Zona Colonial.

pi?acolada

Mar 9, 2005
There is a very good spanish restaurant, La Mas?a, located in Arzobispo Portes # 116, between S?nchez st and Arzobispo Meri?o st. Seafood and paella are their specialty.

GringoCArlos

Retired Ussername
Jan 9, 2002
There is a very good 'tipico' restaurant called Restaurant El Conuco in Gazcue, just a five minute taxi ride from Parque de Independencia. It is one block away from the back entrance of the Jaragua Hotel.

They have both a menu, and a nice buffet of typical Dominican foods, and (at least for the pm/eves) entertainment of a local nature. The cost is usually about RD$300 or $400 a person, and is an informal setting.

The only hazard may be if there are one or two busloads of tourists who also come for lunch.

Casimira de Moya No. 152, tele: 809- 686-0129. Any taxi driver knows this restaurant.

bienamor

Kansas redneck an proud of it
Apr 23, 2004
That

GringoCArlos said:
There is a very good 'tipico' restaurant called Restaurant El Conuco in Gazcue, just a five minute taxi ride from Parque de Independencia. It is one block away from the back entrance of the Jaragua Hotel.

They have both a menu, and a nice buffet of typical Dominican foods, and (at least for the pm/eves) entertainment of a local nature. The cost is usually about RD$300 or $400 a person, and is an informal setting.

The only hazard may be if there are one or two busloads of tourists who also come for lunch.

Casimira de Moya No. 152, tele: 809- 686-0129. Any taxi driver knows this restaurant.

Biggest hazard is the food sucks. then the tourists

kingofdice

Jan 16, 2002
I would agree with HB's suggestions for Vesuvios or Reina de Espana. I've eaten at both on more than one occasion. Just be prepared though to have your Kryptonite Visa card on hand to pay the bill. Especially the Reina de Espana. Atmosphere though is very nice .

lenny1

Apr 27, 2006
kudra said:
I am planning to spend a day in the Zona Colonial. Does anyone know a fabulous lunch place take my aunts (elderly)? They are hoping for some great seafood or local fare in a memorable location! PLEASE HELP!

Kudra, I just came back from Santo Domingo. Unfortunayely, the place I would recommend to you is not located inside the Zona Colonial but it is very close to it. It is called "La Casa de los Mariscos" ( the house of seafood) or something close to it. It is located on Avenida Zarasota, near Zona Universitaria? I am so sorry but I do not have the actual street number.! Good luck.
Lenny.

May 31, 2005
GringoCArlos said:

They also have bachata dancers that dance on top of a bottle. You have to see it to believe it.