Ex pats

A.Hidalgo

Silver
Apr 28, 2006
HI. Can anyone tell me from what countries the largest number of ex pats come from in the DR. As usual just being curious.

Rocky

Honorificabilitudinitatibus
Apr 4, 2002
www.rockysbar.com
It must be regional.
In Sosua, it has to be Americans & Canadians.
Many years back it was Germans, but now there's just a residue of those days.
In Las Terenas, it would be French first, followed by German & Italian.
I guess only the Residencia office knows for sure, or the cedula office.

NALs

Economist by Profession
Jan 20, 2003
Mirador said:
Haiti, of course.
I don't think Haitians are considered "expats". They are more on the line of immigrants.

The difference between the two, from my understanding is that the first moves out of personal choice while the latter had no choice.

-NALs

qgrande

Bronze
Jul 27, 2005
NALs said:
I don't think Haitians are considered "expats". They are more on the line of immigrants.

The difference between the two, from my understanding is that the first moves out of personal choice while the latter had no choice.

-NALs
This is a very weird definition NALs, there's personal choice in both groups. If you check a dictionary the difference appears to be that expatriates are defined as simply 'those living in a country that is not their own', whereas immigrants 'come to a country to take up permanent residence'. So the difference appears to be in the permanency. In fact, that means that Haitians that take refuge or find some job in the DR with the aim of returning back home when they can are expats, while the Americans and Europeans that plan to retire in the DR are immigrants!
But of course the real difference in definitions in practice is that expats are rich or from rich countries and immigrants poor or from poor countries.

Rick Snyder

Silver
Nov 19, 2003
Okay, with that said then I will no longer go under the tag of expat. I am now and forever considering myself an immigrant from the USA.

Rocky

Apr 4, 2002
www.rockysbar.com
One might assume that an expat has immigrated legally.
All expats would be immigrants, assuming they did so.
As most Haitians do not, they could hardly be called immigrants or expats.
That's my story, and I'm sticking to it.

tflea

Bronze
Jun 11, 2006
Tourism office in el capital says its Canadians. Followed by Germans, followed by Englishmen(women). Americans only count because of the many DominiAmericanos residing in the US. Marco, I don't know where you get the
Italian contingent....they are way down the list. I agee that Haitians don't count as ex-pats....like Mexicans in the US....very similar situation. Work cheap, but we don't want you, but come back, we need cheap labor....but wait, you've had a child in our country? well....take them out!...oh, but come back, we need your cheap labor, but don't stay. Ha!
Same B.S. happened in the US in the 1800's. It'll all come out in the wash, but not before some turmoil, likely some years down the road.

DominicanScotty

On Vacation!
Jun 12, 2004
For whatever reason

windeguy said:
I think the word "residue" aptly applies to most of those here from Germany.. Was that a double entendre by the poster?

Are there really that many from the US on the North Coast that we have displaced those from Germany? I think not, but I could be wrong.

The two don't mix well. Hmmmmmmm

Rocky

Apr 4, 2002
www.rockysbar.com
windeguy said:
I think the word "residue" aptly applies to most of those here from Germany.. Was that a double entendre by the poster?
I used that term as a means of saying that most of the Germans in Sosua, are from over 10 years ago, in the heyday. Now Americans and Canadians are coming in droves, and very few new German arrivals.

windeguy said:
Are there really that many from the US on the North Coast that we have displaced those from Germany? I think not, but I could be wrong.
I speak only for Sosua, and not the whole North coast, and yes, here in Sosua, the Americans & Canadians probably outnumber all the rest combined.

Last edited:

Rocky

Apr 4, 2002
www.rockysbar.com
tflea said:
Tourism office in el capital says its Canadians. Followed by Germans, followed by Englishmen(women). Americans only count because of the many DominiAmericanos residing in the US.
Those are tourist stats.
We were talking about expats.
tflea said:
Marco, I don't know where you get the
Italian contingent....they are way down the list.
I believe I only mentioned the Italians in Las Terenas. To the best of my knowledge, #1 is French, #2 is German and #3 is Italian.

G

gary short

Yeeeaaahhh................. I'll hang with a bunch of Canadians and Americans... any day of the week............love you guys...

Hillbilly

Jan 1, 2002
I think I heard at the US consulate that there are 25,000 US citizens in the DR.

Now, how many of these are immigrants, NY/Dominicans or Puertoricans, as opposed to "real" ex-pats, I haven't the faintest. Like, who cares, man, who cares.. Behave, be nice and I'll like you. if you play golf, even better. if you smoke cigars, and play golf even more better and if you play bridge, golf and smoke cigars, you can stay at my place for free...well, sort of free...:p:p:p

HB

Rocky

Apr 4, 2002
www.rockysbar.com
Hillbilly said:
if you play golf, even better. if you smoke cigars, and play golf even more better and if you play bridge, golf and smoke cigars, you can stay at my place for free...well, sort of free...:p:p:p

HB
What about if I play Poker, smoke cigarettes, and hate golf.
How much would it cost me per night to stay at your place?

aegap

Silver
Mar 19, 2005
More and more of our imports are coming from abroad

Rocky said:
One might assume that an expat has immigrated legally.
All expats would be immigrants, assuming they did so.

As most Haitians do not, they could hardly be called immigrants or expats.
That's my story, and I'm sticking to it.

yeah, they immigrated illigally and in doing so are no immigrants atall!

..agree with you that all expats are immigrants. ..the word expat is a more specific, refined if you will, definition of a particular group of immigrants.