Fishing/Diving

C

Capt. Rob

I was thinking of using my boat to take out charters. Fishing and Diving. What are the requirements ? Do I need a lincensed Capt. ? Do I need a Dive Master on board ? Do I need to carry Insurance ? If yes to these questions where do I go to obtain nessasary documents ?

F

Frederic

I beleive you need a permit and fulfill some requirements with the Secretariat of Tourism and I strongly recommend you have insurance, accidents do happen in the sea and insurance is convenient. You might want your clients to sign a "discharge" or "disclaimer" previous to going out; to assure that you are not liable for certain accidents that are not your fault. I know of cases of a drunk tourist that jumped overboard near the motor and got cut by the blades and wanted to sue the marine tour operator for it. Another case was a drunk teenage tourist who did not tell the Captain he had been drinking alcohol and went diving and almost died, and her parents wanted to sue the hotel and the tour operator.

There are many cases like these and you will need to be protected.

Also, maybe you should talk to others who are already doing this type of business...maybe some are online and might want to provide their us with their knowledge.

F

Frederic

I beleive you need a permit and fulfill some requirements with the Secretariat of Tourism and I strongly recommend you have insurance, accidents do happen in the sea and insurance is convenient. You might want your clients to sign a "discharge" or "disclaimer" previous to going out; to assure that you are not liable for certain accidents that are not your fault. I know of cases of a drunk tourist that jumped overboard near the motor and got cut by the blades and wanted to sue the marine tour operator for it. Another case was a drunk teenage tourist who did not tell the Captain he had been drinking alcohol and went diving and almost died, and her parents wanted to sue the hotel and the tour operator.

There are many cases like these and you will need to be protected.

Also, maybe you should talk to others who are already doing this type of business...maybe some are online and might want to provide us with their knowledge.