Help! Teacher traveling to DR for the first time.

Florie

Jun 21, 2006
I am not sure if it will be best to visit Punta Cana or Puerto Plata. What is your recommendation? I am leaning towards Sousa and it seems this area will be easier on my small budget. Do you have a hotel recommendation around $30/40 per night with a pool and near the beach? E-mail address will be fantastic. I will be there on 8/24 to 9/5, how is the weather around this time?
I would like to cross to Haiti - any thoughts on this will be appreciated. I am traveling alone - will I encounter a problems traveling alone? I speak Spanish fluently. Is it possible to travel the island on moped and cost? Is a gua-gua a better mode?
Thank you in advance! You can e-mail me direct to: florie1_@yahoo.com

Gracias una vez mas!

Florie

rellosk

Silver
Mar 18, 2002
Florie, welcome to DR1!

Florie said:
I will be there on 8/24 to 9/5, how is the weather around this time?
Hot and humid. Average high is about 90F.

Florie said:
I speak Spanish fluently. Is it possible to travel the island on moped and cost? Is a gua-gua a better mode?
It's possible to rent a motorcycle (not sure if you can rent a moped), but I would advise a first time traveler to stick to public transportation.

Dolores1

DR1
May 3, 2000
www.
There is so much to see in the DR. Each destination is so different. It would take you two weeks to see all the north coast has to offer from Monte Cristi (El Morro), beaches along the coastline, La Isabela (first Columbus settlement in New World), Punta Rucia and Cayo Arena, Luperon and Damajagua Falls, Cofresi (and Ocean World Park), Puerto Plata's Victorian town and Botanical Gardens with skylift trip, Sosua, Cabarete and its windsurfing and beach town atmosphere, Playa Grande. You can keep going.

If you had a big budget, I would recommend you take a flight to Cap Haitien and visit the Citadel, but if not, leave Haiti for a second time visit when you just visit Haiti.