Just looking for opinions

easygoin

Bronze
Jan 2, 2005
Now I have a Dell PC 3000 two years old that I know is very basic... but that's all I need.

My next purchase I was looking into buying a mac and giving this one away. So my question is purchasing a mac with basic needs.... what would actually be the advantage? I understand I will spend extra but is it really worth it?

Thanks for everyone's input.;)

Robert

Stay Frosty!
Jan 2, 1999
dr1.com
The only people that can answer your question are actual Mac users.
Most responses you will get here are from people that have never used a Mac or last used one 10 years ago.

I was a devout PC user for many years, I'm now a "switched" Mac user.
I would never go back, it's just a better OS, viruses and spyware are not an issue, it doesn't crash and I find I'm much more productive. Yes, it's more expensive, then again, nothing comes close to the build quality of a Mac.

If you want to run Windows, no problem. The new Intel Core Duo Macs allow that too. Plus you'll be running Windows apps faster than most PC's can.

Take a look at the Apple site for more reasons.

http://www.apple.com/getamac/

*** This post was brought to you by a 15" PowerBook ***

Chris

Gold
Oct 21, 2002
www.caribbetech.com
What Robert says is true, but it also depends on how you use your computer. If you just have basic needs, then a windows pc from a reputable maker will work for you and will be much cheaper than a good mac - and believe me, you want a good mac, not a cheapy. In the windows world things don't crash much these days as the operating system is more mature. I cannot remember that I ever had a crash, a virus or malware of some kind on my main Dell with Windows machine, but then I maintain it well, software is up to date and the operating system remains at the latest releases of updates. From the users perspective, Windows pc's need more care taken than Macs and Macs are kinda indestructable.

For me it comes down to what you want to use it for. I have both and have customers with both. From the business support side, it takes just as much to support a windows site than a mac site, although mac users are usually more clued up about their machines.

Robert

Stay Frosty!
Jan 2, 1999
dr1.com
Chris said:
cheaper than a good mac - and believe me, you want a good mac, not a cheapy.

What cheapy laptop Macs are you referring to? Apple only sell MacBooks or MacBook Pro's and they both have Intel Core Duo's. I have used both and they are awesome, the MacBooks are great laptops.

http://www.apple.com/macbook/

Chris

Gold
Oct 21, 2002
www.caribbetech.com
I thought the op was asking about desktops, not necessarily laptops/notebooks? ... I don't have much experience with Mac Laptops .. With desktops, the bottom of the line iMac is a pain .. but the G5's are wonderful! I could buy six of those just to have them around and look at them. ;)

Actually it is not a debate for me Robert ... for me, it is what do you want to do, and then get the appropriate box with the appropriate innards to do it with.... And the point is that if you just want to do simple stuff, windows machines are cheap to do that with and they've come a long way in terms of reliability. The Op did say he has simple needs only.

Robert

Stay Frosty!
Jan 2, 1999
dr1.com
Chris said:
I thought the op was asking about desktops, not necessarily laptops/notebooks? ... I don't have much experience with Mac Laptops .. With desktops, the bottom of the line iMac is a pain .. but the G5's are wonderful! I could buy six of those just to have them around and look at them. ;)

Actually it is not a debate for me Robert ... for me, it is what do you want to do, and then get the appropriate box with the appropriate innards to do it with.... And the point is that if you just want to do simple stuff, windows machines are cheap to do that with and they've come a long way in terms of reliability. The Op did say he has simple needs only.

What about the "coolness" factor, doesn't that earn any points :)

Yep, your right, a Dell PC 3000 is a desktop.
The new iMac's are very nice. For US$599 you can get a Mac Mini.
All you need then is a screen and keyboard :)

When you use both as I do, you soon get to see what works best and what you seem to be spending most time using. I know of many people that have converted to a Mac, bit never heard of a Mac user that has converted to a PC.

easygoin

Bronze
Jan 2, 2005
Thank's for your replies.

I was looking at the mini mac for 799.

Just wondering how reliable this equipment is, and will it be an upgrade from the 3000?

Hillbilly

Jan 1, 2002
Mac people are a race apart, that is for sure.:p

Yes, Robert, that is a huge upgrade.

I just wish i could afford a Mac. However, Dell is doing good work these days, and I have never had a crash with the OS. I think, with me, it is a case of being a cheap SOB (#1), and too lazy to learn a new OS (#2).

I think, in the DR at least, the Dell people are doing very good work. there are tons of them around.

HB :D:D

Chris

Gold
Oct 21, 2002
www.caribbetech.com
easygoin said:
Thank's for your replies.

I was looking at the mini mac for 799.

Just wondering how reliable this equipment is, and will it be an upgrade from the 3000?

Yes, the equipment is very reliable. Yes, it will be an upgrade.
And Yes, they are 'cool'! ;)

easygoin

Bronze
Jan 2, 2005
Silicon Valley In The Dr

MINI MAC, can I just plug in my modem from my Dell, which is DSL?

Do I need to call Verizon for the change?

Flat-panel monitor the 17 inch.... which is the best for the money... quality?

Thanks for your help.;)