Hotel Advice SDQ

CanadianGurl

Mar 21, 2006
Ok, I have read posts over and over again about Hotels in SDQ, but its really hard to figure out where to begin...

I will only be staying for 1-2 days until my apartment is ready. I do not have a car, never been to SD, do not speak spanish, mid 20's female.

I will possibly have a Dominican guest (from my workplace, not as a couple or anything), not sure yet though, but I should be prepared maybe.

I would like to have internet access, if possible be close to Body Shop or Gold's Gym.

So here is what I have narrowed it down to, if anyone could recommend for me I would appreciate it, I would like to make the reservations. I would like to keep a budget small as well, if possible:

1.) Hotel Mercure
2.) Hotel Palacio
3.) Hotel Napolantio
4. )Hispanola Hotel

Thanks for you time,
Canadian Gurl

GringoCArlos

Retired Ussername
Jan 9, 2002
Out of your 4 choices, I would recommend the Palacio. Can't beat staying in a 500 year old building, and having breakfast in the courtyard there. You can take a taxi to the gym and back for less than US 10 dollars. Everything else you would need is within walking distance on El Conde.

BPL888

Sep 7, 2004
Hotel Conde Penalba

You might also consider Hotel Conde Penalba. It is on The Conde at the Parque Colon and the Cathedral (very near Palacio). It is very nice, cheaper than Palacio ( $60-$70 US) and has internet access (1 terminal) in the lobby. There is also a Verizon internet center one block away. The location at the parque can't be beat and the people watching in the outdoor cafe is excellent.

bienamor

Kansas redneck an proud of it
Apr 23, 2004
Or another choice

BPL888 said:
You might also consider Hotel Conde Penalba. It is on The Conde at the Parque Colon and the Cathedral (very near Palacio). It is very nice, cheaper than Palacio ( $60-$70 US) and has internet access (1 terminal) in the lobby. There is also a Verizon internet center one block away. The location at the parque can't be beat and the people watching in the outdoor cafe is excellent.

Other end of El Conde, much cheaper and nice review not from me.

This is a small comfortable hotel with a restaurant/bar one block from the Conde and Parque Independencia. I stayed there for one night and I have booked it for a week in June. They also have a "Penthouse" but I don't know the rate or what it is like. They say it includes a terrace with a view of the city and the sea. I will post a review when (if) I return. Aparthotel Condo-Parque & Venus Bar
Calle Palo Hincado #165
Zona Colonial
Santo Domingo
Tel: +1 809 - 333 67 13
eMail: condo_parque@yahoo.com
Inhaber: Walter Rufenacht

rafael

Bronze
Jan 2, 2002
www.dr-tourist.tv
Conde Parque also has free wifi in their restaurant/bar on the first floor. I staying at the Penalba you can make a left and after crossing over Isabel catolica there is a cafe/restaurant that has free wifi on the right hand side.

Andy B

Bronze
Jan 1, 2002
www.elmarinique.com
As a hotel owner myself, I recommend that our hotel's guests stay at the Hodelpa Caribe Colonial on Isabell Catolica, just off Columbus Square and a few doors down from the Conde when they fly into or out of SD on their way up to us in Las Galeras. We also stay there when we are in SD for business, shopping, etc. I've checked out or stayed in many of the hotels in the Zona Colonial, including those mentioned in this thread, and I keep returning to the Caribe Colonial as the best all-around for value, facilities, security, location, service, etc. We have to be careful who we recommend as our guest's safety and ease of transitioning into a foreign environment is one of our main concerns. We've been recommending them for 4 years now.

vouvoune

Mar 17, 2006
atarazana hotel

that's my advice to you is Atarazana Hotel right next to Atarazana place. It is a small hotel (6 rooms) ran by very nice German people. I have been there 3 weeks and it's been great. It's very pretty and close to things...
www.hotel-atarazana.com
I hope I'll see you there!