Applying for Visitor's Visa vs. Permanent Resident Visa

wendy_s

Oct 26, 2005
I have a question to ask on behalf of a friend of mine who wants his Dominican girlfriend to apply for a Visitor's Visa to Canada. Yes, I have warned him that the chances of that happening is close to nothing and have asked him to check out DR1 to get more info and find out that I'm just not talking out of my a**. He says they eventually want to marry and have her apply for the Permanent Resident Visa. I told him if that is the case, why not just wait then and avoid wasting time and money going through the Visitor's Visa...

So my question is, if one applies for a Visitor's Visa and is denied, does that affect their chances of applying/getting issued for the Permanent Resident Visa in the future?

Mahogany

Sep 3, 2005
Wendy A. said:
So my question is, if one applies for a Visitor's Visa and is denied, does that affect their chances of applying/getting issued for the Permanent Resident Visa in the future?

No it doesn't. And the chances of her getting a visitor visa depend greatly on her cirucmstances in the DR. For example, if she comes from a middle class family who has money and land, and she has a good job, she may get the visa without too much trouble. The difficulty in getting a visitor visa that is mostly discussed on this board is when the person applying for the visa is a resort worker or someone with a similar level of earning power. It is not difficult for middle class or wealthy Dominicans to obtain visitor visas.