the good and the bad ?

danceaway

Jun 22, 2006
can any one give me any infortmation on a barrio called Ensanche Ozama and a street named Luis Duquela ( I think I have the spelling correct ) what sort of areas are these? I met some people on line who live there and would like me to come for a visit. I am tempted, they seem nice, but I do not know the area at all, so any information would be very helpful. I have been to Punta Cana twice and I meet a lot of people there, but one is resort area and one is the capital, and has lots of history to see and experience. what to do ?

Last edited:

Hillbilly

Jan 1, 2002
that is on "the other side of the river" ...basically it is a poor, lower middle class neighborhood with what are probablily a lot of good people.
The fact that you have vacationed in Punta Cana puts you so far above that area in terms of any economic parameters, and should be a warning of sorts.

People who live in Ens Ozama do not go to Punta Cana except as workers.

Actually, that is Juan Luis Duquela Street, and it intersects the Las Americas highway just before the Duarte Bridge. You should know that there are parts of that barrio that the police do not enter....

I think that I would pass, unless you know Spanish and are very well travelled. Sounds a bit like a "sanky fishing expedition" to me....

HB :D:D

danceaway

Jun 22, 2006
Thank you

I really appreciate you taking the time to let me know all this. It really helped make my decision alot easier. I dont want to be the "fish out of water" and get caught up in some sort of sankie party. I am sure there are many good people on that side of the river, being poor is nothing to be ashamed of as you so eloqently put it. But sometimes being exposed to certain eliments and people who are stuggeling just to survive, does bring out the worse in some people. I am working class, but thank God I have never had to resort to "crime" or live in an area where the police dont even go. I will keep my eyes and years open and maybe invite my friends to meet me just for an evening out, dinner or something nice. Maybe in the Colonial District. That seems very nice, so maybe I will stay in that area. Thanks again, you have been helpful. *Danceaway

Hillbilly

Jan 1, 2002
A wise move, indeed. Bring them to "your side of the river."

I think you will find them interesting. I would speculate that these are probably
young people who are trying to improve their condition in life.

Do you know if they are using an internet facility or have their own computers?
Might be a clue.

HB :D:D

danceaway

Jun 22, 2006
ooopppppsssss

I sent them a laptop. I had an old one and upgraded it for them , so as far as I know they are using that. I guess I am as dumb as a box of rocks. I think I started the ball rolling. I offered, and they excepted, cause I felt sorry for them, think it is actually just one guy. I feel foolish. I have sent a few other gifts too, no money though.

Hillbilly

Jan 1, 2002
I get the eerie feeling that something not good will come out of this.

You seem to be a very decent and caring person, but the internet does not reveal a person's character all that easily.

Please, please be very careful and don't fall for that bull**** line about how wonderful and how nice you are, and how I want to spend my life with you....And DON'T go to their house where their Mom will fall all over you as the "novia ámericana de mi hijo" and you will be swept up in the throes of compassion for such poor people who are doing just everything they can to make you feel at home etcetcetcetc ad nauseum.

Be careful above all. you are very nice, but be careful!!

HB :ermm: :ermm:

danceaway

Jun 22, 2006
again, thanks

I will take your advise, I will not go to his home. It always has seemed a little odd to me that everytime I email, or vise versa, his mom always is asking about when I am coming and begging me to keep him away from working animation. what can I do, he is a big boy, and they, his family will do fine with or without me. They have all this time. I appreciate your comments about being nice, I guess sometimes you can get a feel for someone via the net, cause you are so right....I am nice, and sometimes its my down fall. trying to save the world, and right the wrongs and help the down trodden. I would hate to be taken for a fool. But I will take your advise very seriously. Thanks, and you are sweet. And you seem very wise. Do you live in the DR, or just been exposed to many things, good and bad along the road sometimes less traveled. I hope you never got burnt. That would be terrible. Like I said you seem very nice too. * Danceaway

Last edited:

Rick Snyder

Silver
Nov 19, 2003
Danceaway,

As Hillbilly seems to be tied up and hasn't responded to you yet then allow me to fill you in a little. HB does in fact lives here in the DR and has for a number of years and is therefore very familiar with the goings on here. As to getting burnt I would say that like the rest of us living here he has probably been burnt one or twice but then again I don't want to speak for his experiences. Suffice it to say that you can rest assured that the advice he gives you is on the money.

Rick

Edited for spelling

Last edited:

danceaway

Jun 22, 2006
you guys are great

Thank you so much, I am seeing things so clearly now. I am so glad to have found this sight. An email pal of mine told me about it, and it has been the best thing when it comes to answers straight out, no holds barred. The information has been extremly helpful. And thanks for stepping up for HB, I am sure he would have answered, but as you said, he was probably busy. He seems very nice and it is great to know that he lives there so I definatly will take all his advise as gospel. I can see there are many people on this sight that are more than willing to watch out for the casual tourist, like myself. I never mind anyone asking for help, and I will do what I can to help another out of a bad situation, or help them find a way to improve their standard of living, but I got myself through many hard times by hard work and determination. I dont want to be taken advantage of by anyone. I am just a working class gal, not rich. And nobody has to lie to me if they need help, but within reason. If someone doesnt like their lifestyle, and wants better, than dont scam me or anyone else to get ahead. Work for it. Granted some people, no matter where they live will take advantage of anothers good fortune, or good and generous nature, but, nothing good will come out of being a Sankie, a bird never flew so far that its tail didnt follow. Thanks again for all the input and support to all the "posters" out their on DR1....your great, funny, at times sarcastic, but mostly a great group of guys and gals....
*Dance Away

Hillbilly

Jan 1, 2002
"Tied up" :p:p:p No we don't go for that.....it's Sunday so we sleep in, until 7:30 or so....lazy folk that we are...

"Burnt once or twice" .....Nope. I didn't come to the DR looking for romance. i came to work and serve, maybe do some good. One day at a birthday party just up the street from where I (we) was/were living, I met a young lady, just returned from Boston. Smitten is a much used word, I was literally hammered with a 12 lb. sledgehammer.....stumbled out of there dizzy, goofy, and less than two month later we were officially, "novios" , which at THAT time meant "engaged" .....but i didn't know it at the time. :p

Now it is 43 years later and we're still "novios" .....

Danceaway, in your last post you used the key word: 'animation'. that is the givaway, the major clue here. Now, everyone who reads this knows that you are somehow involved with one of these guys. The good thing is you are sensible.

The first thing anybody new to this thread will probably say is "Steer clear"...

You have done your part, with presents and thousands of pesos in computer equipment. That's enough.

I usually advise people to read "Hillbilly's Three Golden Rules for Dating a Dominican"....they are not iron-clad, but motivate some thinking.

HB:D:D

danceaway

Jun 22, 2006
HB,
You are very observant, and I will read your Three Golden Rules for dating a Dominican. And no I am not involved with one of these guys, I was, if you want to call it that, but thank goodness, found this sight, and payed attention. It was much cheaper to PAY attention here than PAY for some sankie there ( and I loved your story )

danceaway

Jun 22, 2006
HB, one more thing, I think I better move to SANKIE 101 at this point, see you over there, have a great day now that you are all rested up, and have slept in until such an ungodly hour ! Thanks again, see ya soon.

Rick Snyder

Silver
Nov 19, 2003
I must interject at this point for clarification. When I said "burnt" I was not talking about romance but rather the situation of helping someone out with no alterior motives other then wanting to help and getting "burnt" in the process.

HB I thought that being busy was better then proclaiming to the world that you "slept in until such an ungodly hour !" Hehehe.

Rick

danceaway

Jun 22, 2006
being busy could mean so many things, as well as being burnt, but saying that someone was tied up, well only one thing really comes to mind on that one, and than again HB, you did say that you were still in bed....oh I mean sleeping. Thanks again guys, see you at another location soon.

Berzin

Banned
Nov 17, 2004
I've been to this barrio...

and nothing happened. What I did see was alot of young people running alongside a bridge(don't know which one by name) and we stopped to check out some guys playing basketball. We then hung out somewhere that resembled a town square and ate frituras and drank coke. I then walked around to a place to make a phone call and we then headed out to a sports bar. A nice day all around and noone bothered me at all.

There is alot of contradictory advice on this site. You have to go away from the tourist sites to get a feel of the real DR but there are those that immediately label someone from a poor barrio as street trash and not worthy of your time.

You made a few mistakes.
#1-Don't give anyone anything, especially a laptop. It is a misconception to a poor dominican if you are seen as someone who can give this item away and not sweat it. They will think you are rich and this is not their fault-to them you are.

#2-Stay away from resort workers. Even if they are not all the same, the odds are against you meeting someone genuine.

#3-Punta Cana is a long way from this barrio. You really do not know how they percieve you, so even though you will be safe, how will you be accepted? Will you be seen as someone's meal ticket?

#4-If you are willing to entertain them in a neutral site such as the Colonial Zone expect to pay for everything and this will further enhance your rep as a rich tourist. So you may want to think about this.

danceaway

Jun 22, 2006
point well taken

Again, there are two sides to every story. I have never thought past the obvious. that if I can give an expensive gift like a laptop to someone and not think anything of it, than I must be rich......no I am not rich, but I do have good credit, and enjoy giving. But I dont like to be taken advantage of. But than again, I have to remember that not everyone things or feels or acts as I do, and when I expect them to, well, I am only setting myself up for a fall. If I were in their shoes I would probably see a rich american just throwing things at me. Not the case. Too bad TV has destorted the view of so many, who have so little. They do see people from the US as having money coming out of their a$$. I do appreciate all the input I have recieved and will be a little more careful how I present myself, and what I say and do from now on. I hate thinking that someone may see me as the snooty rich american tourist. I am not. I work very hard, but just have had more opportunities in my country. And for that I am eternally greatful. Thank you so much for making me think about all things, good and bad. * Dance Away

onesweetone

Jun 26, 2006
This is really good advise. This is my first visit to dr1.com and I am glad to see that I am not the only person in the world that loves to help people in need no matter what... but I am also glad to see that other people in the world care enough to inform us before we could be taken advantage of. I am a person with a really good heart, like danceaway, and I love to help people in need also...I was also asked if I could give a laptop and money for a motorcycle to an animation person while in the DR on vacation...and honestly I wanted to help and I probably would have wired them the money...until reading this post!!! It is amazing that one guest told me to look at this site before sending anything. Thank you so much for this information...

AnnaC

Gold
Jan 2, 2002
You know something if you truly want to help the Dominican people there are so many ways to do it besides sending stuff to only one person that more than likely doesn't give a hoot about you.

Do a search under charities right here on DR1. Some great people in Ontario are putting on a fiesta which raises money for school kids. There are so many ways you can help the needy not the greedy.

Have a look at these two threads

http://www.dr1.com/forums/showthread.php?t=50038

and if you can't attend the fiesta
http://www.dr1.com/forums/showthread.php?t=51336

Rick Snyder

Silver
Nov 19, 2003
Onesweetone,

Welcome to DR1. As you have visited our little paradise you may wish to post your experiences in the "Trip Report" forum for us. We enjoy hearing how people such as yourself enjoyed their stay or didn't. It gives other people the insight as to what to do or not to do and helps us keep abreast of the happenings in different parts of the DR.

Danceaway that goes for you too.

As to helping out AnnaC has said it as it is. In my opinion the children is where the help needs to be directed and not towards a person with a scam.

Rick

onesweetone

Jun 26, 2006
Thank you guys so much. I will look into the suggestions that you have listed and see what I can do in that area. I agree with you Rick, thanks for giving me such helpful information. I really enjoyed my visit to the DR and I hope to return.