To Haiti

jrf

Bronze
Jan 9, 2005
I am wondering if it is possible to rent a car and to travel into Haiti?
I am going twice once in the south from la capital and once through Jaraboa.

Will the rental company allow this? Doubt it but just wondering.

Mirador

On Permanent Vacation!
Apr 15, 2004
jrf said:

You cannot do this. Consider flying into Port au Prince and renting a car there, best with its own driver.

DominicanScotty

On Vacation!
Jun 12, 2004
No

jrf said:

I believe the answer is a resounding NO. Buses travel there daily. Caribe Tours is one of them that goes there. Bus leaves very early in the morning.

Rocky

Honorificabilitudinitatibus
Apr 4, 2002
www.rockysbar.com
jrf said:

The border crossing guards will not allow it.
Even a resident with his own car has to get a special permit to crossover with his own car.

jrf

Bronze
Jan 9, 2005
Kinda thought so. Just wanted to double check. I am heading to Thomassique and to Limbe. Apparently with Caribe it takes 8 hours from la capital to Thomassique. Better bring a bum donut to sit on I guess.
thanks for the replies

mgregoir

Jun 20, 2006
very dangerous. I know two people with individual circumstances that were kidnapped in the past 3 months.

DominicanScotty

On Vacation!
Jun 12, 2004
Indeed

I have a Haitian friend who's family comes from money there. He is picked up at the airport by body guards and driven back to a walled in estate in a fortified vehicle. He asked me if I wanted to join him, the answer was a big fat "NO".

It's a free world and one should be able to travel wherever they wish. My question is directed to the OP or anyone else that feels compelled to ask for advice they should already know. It is something that is imperative if they choose to visit such a dangerous country.

Why?

Last edited:

Rocky

Apr 4, 2002
www.rockysbar.com
DominicanScotty said:
I have a Haitian friend who's family comes from money there. He is picked up at the airport by body guards and driven back to a walled in estate in a fortified vehicle. He asked me if I wanted to join him, the answer was a big fat "NO".

It's a free world and one should be able to travel wherever they wish. My question to the OP or anyone else that feels compelled to ask for advice that they should already know if they choose to visit such a dangerous country.

Why?
Part of the reason is that there are other websites where posters rant & rave about how wonderful Haiti is, and that they never have trouble there, as long as they don't walk around PAP at night.
Who can even guess what agendas these people have, to make such irresponsible statements?
Haiti is the poorest and most dangerous nation in the Western hemisphere.
I have seen posts saying that the traveler in question thought the DR was the most dangerous place they had ever been, and Haiti was wonderful.
"Keep alert, I had more troubles in the DR than anywhere else in the world. Have fun!"
" We spent 10 days in Haiti at the end of April & experienced no life- or wallet-threatening experiences. Visited Port au Prince, Les Cayes, Ile a Vache, Cote des Arcadins & Cap Haitien"
And so on.
I consider these people a menace, as they may convince someone that it is safe, and land up putting them in harm's way.

DominicanScotty

On Vacation!
Jun 12, 2004
As always you said it well

Rocky said:
Part of the reason is that there are other websites where posters rant & rave about how wonderful Haiti is, and that they never have trouble there, as long as they don't walk around PAP at night.
Who can even guess what agendas these people have, to make such irresponsible statements?
Haiti is the poorest and most dangerous nation in the Western hemisphere.
I have seen posts saying that the traveler in question thought the DR was the most dangerous place they had ever been, and Haiti was wonderful.
"Keep alert, I had more troubles in the DR than anywhere else in the world. Have fun!"
" We spent 10 days in Haiti at the end of April & experienced no life- or wallet-threatening experiences. Visited Port au Prince, Les Cayes, Ile a Vache, Cote des Arcadins & Cap Haitien"
And so on.
I consider these people a menace, as they may convince someone that it is safe, and land up putting them in harm's way.

True, some people will rant and rave about Haiti and how much safer it is then the DR. All I can offer them is my best wishes. Some people believe that traveling to Somalia is a "good bargain" and is "safe". They too offer up these places for travel to unknowing tourists. At least here in the DR there is a "support" system in place. I am known to many to have provided support and real assistance in those cases where some wrong doing had been done while they are on the North Coast of the DR. There are many people such as Marco, Eddy, Big Lou and the very nice Ex Pat community in and around Sosua that would do the same thing. There are many others that I know from the DR1 community that are always here to help.

I am not sure if these people that rant about these countries such as Haiti would dare to claim these claims. If they can, then more power to them. Go and have fun!

Getting back on track. I know of many more Haitians that I can list that will not set foot inside of Haiti until it becomes safe again. And, no, these Haitians I am writing about are NOT corrupt politicians or mafioso individuals so save your sarcasm please.

Last edited:

jrf

Bronze
Jan 9, 2005
As for me, the OP, I am travelling with two Haitian (men) and am spending time with the family of one of them. They (the Haitians that I am travelling with) are the ones that I and many others that have contributed are helping pay for the church and the school that we started in Sosua.

The other trip is to the northern part of Haiti and again travelling with these two to visit a school and orphanage in Limbe.

Why go? Because even though I am helping those in Sosua they also want to use some of the resources to help those even less fortunate in Haiti.

The above may not be relevant and I have been to Haiti before and do realize it is certainly less optimal for travel than most places but with 9 million people in Haiti and hearing of two or three incidents does not discourage me nor does it stop me from being careful.

DominicanScotty

On Vacation!
Jun 12, 2004
I wish you well

jrf said:
As for me, the OP, I am travelling with two Haitian (men) and am spending time with the family of one of them. They (the Haitians that I am travelling with) are the ones that I and many others that have contributed are helping pay for the church and the school that we started in Sosua.

The other trip is to the northern part of Haiti and again travelling with these two to visit a school and orphanage in Limbe.

Why go? Because even though I am helping those in Sosua they also want to use some of the resources to help those even less fortunate in Haiti.

The above may not be relevant and I have been to Haiti before and do realize it is certainly less optimal for travel than most places but with 9 million people in Haiti and hearing of two or three incidents does not discourage me nor does it stop me from being careful.

I wasn't attempting to be vicious with you. I wish you well with your good works. You have good reasons why. Again, best to you and your traveling companions.

jrf

Bronze
Jan 9, 2005
DominicanScotty, never thought you were vicious. All good.
I will admit I do have some reservations about going to Haiti but do plan on being careful. If I were travelling to PAP it would be different.

Thanks for the well wishes.

DominicanScotty

On Vacation!
Jun 12, 2004
I love to hear good things

jrf said:
DominicanScotty, never thought you were vicious. All good.
I will admit I do have some reservations about going to Haiti but do plan on being careful. If I were travelling to PAP it would be different.

Thanks for the well wishes.

Once I read what you were partaking in I felt compelled to say a prayer for you and for your safe return. What you are doing makes me feel good. I do similar things here in the DR and I once again wish you all the best. Yes, please do take extra care. Desperate people do desperate things and they often do not know nor care that your intentions are to help them.

Rocky

Apr 4, 2002
www.rockysbar.com
jrf said:
It sure is relevant to me.
An admirable thing, you are doing...
I'm sure you will do well there and be safe, well prepared that you are.
Our concern, well, certainly my concern is for unsuspecting tourists who know nothing of the situation there, being told by others on the net, "Oh yes... Go there.... It's so beautiful.... The Haitians are so nice....."
Responsible people would also mention how dangerous it is, and which precautions to take, to minimize the dangers.

All the best to you on your trek.
Regards, Marco.

jrf

Bronze
Jan 9, 2005
Thanks to you both and thank you for your well wishes. Very much appreciated-maybe I could by ya a presidente at Rocky's next week.

DominicanScotty

On Vacation!
Jun 12, 2004
I won't be down until the 3rd week of July.

jrf said:
Thanks to you both and thank you for your well wishes. Very much appreciated-maybe I could by ya a presidente at Rocky's next week.

Perhaps then!

aegap

Silver
Mar 19, 2005
go if you wish, but be well Informed, ..

jrf said:

two/three incidents?

>29/month in Port-au-Principe ALONE would me more accurate,

WashingtonPost.com said:
Canadian missionary Ed Hughes, Wednesday, June, 21, 2006, was abducted Sunday from his home in Cabaret, Haiti where he runs the orphanage. Kidnappers have threatened to kill Hughes, 62, unless a $45,000 ransom is paid, an associate said Wednesday.

A total of 29 people were kidnapped in Haiti's capital last month, up from 15 in April, according to the U.N. peacekeeping mission in Haiti. The actual number was probably higher because victims' families often prefer to negotiate with kidnappers rather than notify police. ...

Haitian Kidnappers seize Canadian missionary

Last edited:

jrf

Bronze
Jan 9, 2005
Uh huh. I know it is a fast rising industry. How many of them were in the capital and how many outside? How many were wealthy Haitianos?

So, two or three yes.

bahia1

Jun 28, 2006
Listen ,go and have a wonderful time .It sounds like some of us are trying to make haiti into this bad country where people are violent . Well, the real truth is that most of the violence happens around the capital of puerto principe . There is as much violence happening on the whole island of Hispaniola .I notice that some people are trying to discourage her but I'am happy to see that she's not caving in. Shes doing gods work .She is trying to help both Haitians and Dominicans alike .We need to stop putting down Haiti because we are in the same boat. It also reflects how much Dominicans hate each other .The world sees us (Hispaniola Island) as a people of color.I have alot of love for all Haitians and all Dominicans but enough is enough .We are all gods children we all bleed the same .Lets unite and see each other as brothers and Sisters.............PEACE