is it easy to find vegetarian food in the DR?

cocoluva

Jun 26, 2006
Hola,

Is it easy to find vegetarian food in restaurants in the DR? What about in supermarkets - are tofu and soymilk totally out of the question? I'm just trying to prepare myself as I will be visiting Punta Cana for several months...

muchas gracias!
j

pkaide1

Bronze
Aug 10, 2005
Almost the whole country is vegetarian due to the fact that only a few can afford to buy meat. It should not be a problem.

carina

Silver
Mar 13, 2005
pkaide1 said:
Almost the whole country is vegetarian due to the fact that only a few can afford to buy meat. It should not be a problem.

Only a few can afford to by meat? That is not correct information.
Even in the barrios and campos you?ll see chicken on the tables, you see soap made out of lamb heads etc.

Even though rice, with spices, beans etc is the main dish on the plates, there is always a piece of something more, i.e fish, chicken, pork etc.
Of course there are no t-bone steaks around the poor, but there is meat.

carina

Silver
Mar 13, 2005
cocoluva said:
Hola,

Is it easy to find vegetarian food in restaurants in the DR? What about in supermarkets - are tofu and soymilk totally out of the question? I'm just trying to prepare myself as I will be visiting Punta Cana for several months...

muchas gracias!
j

Most restaurants have plenty of salads, sandwishes etc to chose from.
Also usually soup, pasta etc.
The local caf?s etc that serves plate of the day does not have vegetarian alternatives though.

At the markets and supermarkets you?ll find more vegetables and fruit than you can eat!

stewart

Mar 1, 2004
pkaide1 said:

Not to beat a dead horse, but that is a truly ignorant statement.
Salami and chicken are affordable to evrybody and are almost always served for the noon meal.

cocoluva

Jun 26, 2006
Frank the Tank said:
Try eating some meat. The protein in it is good for you.

Frank, I didn't post this thread to start a debate, I was just asking a simple question. But since you feel like you need to give me advice on how to eat properly, I'll give you some.

The human body requires 0.9 grams of protein per kg of body weight. So for a person weighing 135lbs (61kg) you should eat 55 grams of protein per day.

There is more protein in 1 serving of soy beans (28.6g/protein) than in 1 serving of chicken (15.3g) beef (10.6g) or fish (15.5g).

If you are worried that I am not getting any other nutrients I would be happy to explain what foods they can be found in, and what amounts.

gracias

cocoluva

Jun 26, 2006
carina said:
Most restaurants have plenty of salads, sandwishes etc to chose from.
Also usually soup, pasta etc.
The local caf?s etc that serves plate of the day does not have vegetarian alternatives though.

At the markets and supermarkets you?ll find more vegetables and fruit than you can eat!

Thanks Carina, I'm glad to hear that there are veggie options on the menus. Restaurants here in Vancouver, Canada never have vegetarian plate of the day either, or very rarely...can't wait to shop at the markets and get all the different fresh fruits! Pineapples here cost up to $9.00 CDN, which is a little on the expensive side. So I don't indulge in them very often.

mariaobetsanov

Jan 2, 2002
my goodness there are vegetarian restaurants in Santiago. This days of high cholestrol watching we all could learn to eat a bit more like the vegetarian/vegans.

Feb 9, 2006
Yuck

cocoluva said:
There is more protein in 1 serving of soy beans (28.6g/protein) than in 1 serving of chicken (15.3g) beef (10.6g) or fish (15.5g).
But soy beans taste like icky. And meat is so darn tasty! BTW, why did you slight puerco, the other white meat, in your list of protein delivery systems?

cocoluva

Jun 26, 2006
Chuleta de Puerco said:
But soy beans taste like icky. And meat is so darn tasty! BTW, why did you slight puerco, the other white meat, in your list of protein delivery systems?

sorry Chuleta, I didn't mean to leave out your beloved puerca. 18g - better than the other meats, but still not as much protein as beans. Ok, ok, I will agree that soybeans, (especially in the form of tofu) can be bland, but really you can make anything taste good if you know how to cook. ;)

Rick Snyder

Silver
Nov 19, 2003
Salami and chicken are not affordable to EVERYBODY. Many families here in El Seybo can't afford to purchase meat every day and therefore maybe eat meat once or twice a week. When eating meat the size of the average family only allows each person to have maybe a 4 oz portion. As I consider El Seybo to be proportional to the average Dominican lifestyle I would say on average the majority of Dominicans don't eat meat every day. I could be wrong in this assessment but I don't think so.

Rick

jrzyguy

Bronze
May 5, 2004
well..i dont the op needs a lecture on the DR diet. (btw...vegan diets arent alway "healthy"...here are plenty of vegan foods that are fried etc..adding to trans fats and cholestoral.)

There are plenty of vegan options in the dr besides rice & beans and tostones.

If you are in the cap...there are some ok chinese places to go to (cant say i have tried dominican tofu....but i agree..if cooked well tofu can be quite tasty)...and i am sure you can find some veggie suff there..there are a couple of good markets where you can find some really interesing non meat food stuffs.

not sure if any of that helps. But i am sure if you are creative that you can satisfy you diet.

tflea

Bronze
Jun 11, 2006
If someone is asking a question, just answer.
Yes - available in abundance.
(or no.....whatever)