Big Problem With Tourist Card

SURFUP69

May 24, 2006
Let me explain what happened. Usually I fly from Boston to Miami and then Pureto Plata. My last flight in April flight from Boston to New York and then Pureto Plata was a disaster at Airport. Maybe because I was flying from New York I had this problem. But at Pureto Plata Airport there was a line almost out the door to get a tourist card. After people shouting and running people over and one hour and a half later I got my tourist card. Now what they do is give you a card and you give this card to the guy going out to get your bags. Does anybody know a quicker way then this thank you.

SURFUP69

May 24, 2006
Been going there for over 18 year's, this was all new and time wasted for me to get my Prsidente...

SURFUP69

May 24, 2006
Someone was telling me you can buy your tourist card at your airport were you take off, is this true.

Celt202

Gold
May 22, 2004
I used to get a tourist card at the Dominican Consulate in Boston before I travelled. Call them first to see if they still offer this service.

Consulate of the Dominican Republic
20 Park Plz # 601, Boston, MA 02116
(617) 482-8121

That's the Park Square Building. It is walking distance from Arlington Station on the Green Line.

:)

Robert

Stay Frosty!
Jan 2, 1999
dr1.com
User the POP airport VIP service. Costs US$20 in or outbound.
Nice lounge, food, drinks, wireless and they do the leg work, tourist card, bags etc

aviastar

Bronze
Jan 12, 2003
www.www.www
The pld cards are not valid anylonger, now you should pay 10 USD and get a receipt, that you have to fill a blue immigation form.

sweetdbt

Bronze
Sep 17, 2004
Wow. If this is a "BIG PROBLEM", you must have led a pretty charmed life! As far as I know, you can no longer purchase the cards in advance. You must have been unfortunate enough to arrive at the same time as other flights, and thus the long line. On 6/3 I arrived with only a carry on bag and had bought my card, filled out the immigration form and cleared immigration and customs in less than 10 minutes from entering the terminal

M.A.R.

Silver
Feb 18, 2006
sweetdbt said:
Wow. If this is a "BIG PROBLEM", you must have led a pretty charmed life! As far as I know, you can no longer purchase the cards in advance. You must have been unfortunate enough to arrive at the same time as other flights, and thus the long line. On 6/3 I arrived with only a carry on bag and had bought my card, filled out the immigration form and cleared immigration and customs in less than 10 minutes from entering the terminal

that's usually the time it takes me. There were probably other flights arriving at the same time. One time I was able to buy those cards at the airport, can I still do that at JFK?

skyblue

Mar 20, 2006
american used to sell them at the ticket counter, but not anymore. it's a huge pain in the butt to make that stupid line to buy the card to just hand it away again, but that is the way it is. besides, you will wait one way or the other b/c your luggage never arrives at the carousel in a timely fashion in POP.

SURFUP69

May 24, 2006
Right it was April and alot of Flights at that time and comeing in from New York. But what I didn't understand was the new setup with the tourist cards. Because all the other times no problem 10 minutes at the most. Been trying to call all day the Dominican Consulat in Boston to see if they sell tourist Cards there, they are not picking up or returning my calls. Just going to take my changes from what you said. Before was wrong timeing.

bigbird

Gold
May 1, 2005
Robert said:
User the POP airport VIP service. Costs US$20 in or outbound.
Nice lounge, food, drinks, wireless and they do the leg work, tourist card, bags etc

Is this service provided at all airports?

santobonao

Bronze
Jun 3, 2003
www.telemundo.com
New Requirements for Travelers

The Intelligence Reform and Terrorism Prevention Act of 2004 requires that by January 1, 2008, travelers to and from the Caribbean, Bermuda, Panama, Mexico and Canada have a passport or other secure, accepted document to enter or re-enter the United States. In order to facilitate the implementation of this requirement, the Administration is proposing to complete it in phases following a proposed timeline, which will be published in the Federal Register in the near future.

In the proposed implementation plan, which is subject to a period of initial public comment, the Initiative will be rolled out in phases, providing as much advance notice as possible to the affected public to enable them to meet the terms of the new guidelines. The proposed timeline will be as follows:

December 31, 2006 - Requirement applied to all air and sea travel to or from Canada, Mexico, Central and South America, the Caribbean, and Bermuda.
December 31, 2007 - Requirement extended to all land border crossings as well as air and sea travel.
This is a change from prior travel requirements and will affect all United States citizens entering the United States from countries within the Western Hemisphere who do not currently possess valid passports. This new requirement will also affect certain foreign nationals who currently are not required to present a passport to travel to the United States. Most Canadian citizens, citizens of the British Overseas Territory of Bermuda, and to a lesser degree, Mexican citizens will be affected by the implementation of this requirement.

singletravel

Oct 13, 2003
Yup,

1.) Always sit in the front of the plane, can save an hour

2.) Buy a few cards . If there is a long line I just use an old one (they are date stamped but as far as I can tell the new ones have no expiration.

singletravel

SURFUP69 said:
Does anybody know a quicker way then this thank you.

skyblue

Mar 20, 2006
just buy more than one card

never thought about buying two cards and holding on to one for the next trip - great idea. thanks

it's not like they look at them anyway.

benzan

Jun 7, 2004
If your in new york you can buy the tourist card at the "consul dominicano" 1500 broadway at 43rd st its a $1 extra but it can save you some time

SURFUP69

May 24, 2006
Thank you but after heairing what everybody said and going there for over 17 year's and never having this problem, I know now I was just at the wrong place and wrong time when I got there. Never want to go throw that again. First you have to get up at 3 AM to catch a flight at 7 AM to get there. Then at 4:30 PM when you get there you have to wait in a HOT line with people pushing at you to get a head for one and half hour. Hopefully never again