Cell phone scam IN PRISON!

El Vegano

Apr 20, 2006
For those of you outside the DR who don't get to see all the beauts we do watching the local news every day, please hear this.

The Procuraduria General (Attorney General's office) has announced that a cell phone scam has been uncovered at the Najayo country club, oops!, maximum security prison.

Among some of the goodies some well-to-do prisoners get are computers, cell phones, air conditioners, etc. These guys have huge fortunes outside, usually from drug trafficking, stealing from the government and/or anything else you may imagine.

Seems like one of these guys got a job as the warden's assistant and he used HIS supposedly illegal computer in the jail to 'keep track' of prisoners entering and exiting the system. So, in effect, he could make some people 'exit' the place. Another guy, who made regular monetary contributions to the warden, obtained a cell-phone activation program for his, again, illegal jail computer, and he was making up call cards for the value of 450 pesos and selling them to other prisoners at 50% or more discount. According to the authorities, they had done about 100 million pesos' worth of business (around 3 million dollars) INSIDE THE JAIL!

This, of course, is a total surprise to the warden, the guards and all prison and police authorities. What a country!

Mirador

On Permanent Vacation!
Apr 15, 2004
Actually, this case broke upon in April. All prisoners involved have been released since then. No investigation of possible (obvious) prison personnel complicity has been opened.

bilijou

Jun 13, 2006
I am not surprised. Everybody knows that prisoners do whatever they want, they are allowed every commodity available in the outside. (cellphones, computers, television)

My father grew up with this bigpin druglord in DR who was caught during the first LF administration. Despite being one of the biggest drugbusts (the biggest at that time) in DR history and being sentenced for 30 years, he was released by the entering Hipolito government. A few years ago, I heard from him how much of a joke Najayo was. All you need is money.