Visa for australians? adn what about drivers licence

Borec

Dec 20, 2005
Hello,

Finally after about 10 months it has been decided that we are going to move to DR, I have australian passport and I wonder if I need a visa (I live now in Bolivia, and they do not know much at the honorary consulate here)
Thanks

I was also looking throught the forum on the issue of drivers licence, I have australian and bolivian drivers licences, but I am not sure about several things. Is international drivers licence any use in DR? OR do I have to get DR licence as soon as possible. Also I have seen some post about insurance which said that if you do not have DR licence, then you are out of luck (even though you do have insurance, but after accident insurence refuses to pay due to luck of DR licence) is this correct?

Thanks

TheOP

Jul 14, 2006
Somerville, MA
I read that if you have a valid passport, you can use a tourist card, which costs 10 dollars. This card allows you to stay on Dominican soil for up to 90 days, but afterwards, you would have to pay for a nominal amount for each day you're here.

I recommend you get in contact with your nearest Dominican consulate. One of the following should apply to you:

Consulate in Caracas, Venezuela
Mission Chief: RAFAEL VILLALONA MARTINEZ
Address: CALLE 1 QUINTA CALILA MONTALBÁN 1 ESQ. 2DA. TRANSVERSAL FRENTE AL CENTRO COMERCIAL USLAR
Phone number(s): (58-212) 442-7109 /
E-Mail: consuladodominicano@hotmail.com
Fax: (58212) 471-2590

Consulate in Bogotá, Colombia
Mission Chief: JUAN L. MARTINEZ
Address: Transversal 29 #121-23 Barrio Santa Bárbara Bogotá Colombia
Phone number(s): (571) 620-1012/ 4326
E-Mail: consudombogota@hotmail.com.co
Fax: (571) 213-7715

Embassy in Ecuador: http://www.embajadadominicanaecuador.com/html/requisitos.htm#5

The steps to follow in order to change your foreign driver's licence into a Dominican driver's licence can be found on the website of the General Direction of Terrestrial Transit: http://www.dgtt.gov.do/SEOPC Con DGTT/Licencia Extranjera.html

You should absolutely get your Dominican driver's permit if you want to spare yourself from being "macuteado" (being extorted by policemen). Not that by holding a Dominican driver's licence you won't be completely free of that, but at least by doing so they won't treat you as if you were a tourist :p

Last edited: