situation between the d.r. and haiti

Status
Not open for further replies.

ohomem_t

Jan 26, 2006
Hi,
I've read articles about the problems that exist between the D.R. and Haiti, such as the D.R. performing deportations of illegal haitians and disliking them in general, and something peculiar has occurred to me. If these two countries are experiencing such problems, wouldn't it be a good idea of they both agreed on eliminating the border that separates them, thus becoming one nation? This may sound ridiculous, but with the problems that these countries encounter, and the fact that Haiti's situation is in bad condition, it sounds like both uniting into one would make life better for everyone on the island, since they could share the normal problems that exist in each country.

Tony

Mirador

On Permanent Vacation!
Apr 15, 2004
Hi,
I've read articles about the problems that exist between Israel and the Palestinians, such as Israel performing deportations of illegal Palestinians and disliking them in general, and something peculiar has occurred to me. If these two countries are experiencing such problems, wouldn't it be a good idea of they both agreed on eliminating the border that separates them, thus becoming one nation? This may sound ridiculous, but with the problems that these countries encounter, and the fact that the Palestinian situation is in bad condition, it sounds like both uniting into one would make life better for everyone on the world since they could share the normal problems that exist in each country.

Tony

G

gary short

WOW..........seriously.... that has never been considered......nor will it ever......oil and water don't mix.

drbill

Dec 3, 2005
I think you've got it!

If people would just put aside their differences and appreciate the true value that we all have, they'd see that it's a small world, after all,
it's a small world, after all,
it's a small world, after all,
it's a small, small, world!:squareeye

NALs

Economist by Profession
Jan 20, 2003
ohomem_t said:
Hi,
I've read articles about the problems that exist between the D.R. and Haiti, such as the D.R. performing deportations of illegal haitians and disliking them in general, and something peculiar has occurred to me. If these two countries are experiencing such problems, wouldn't it be a good idea of they both agreed on eliminating the border that separates them, thus becoming one nation? This may sound ridiculous, but with the problems that these countries encounter, and the fact that Haiti's situation is in bad condition, it sounds like both uniting into one would make life better for everyone on the island, since they could share the normal problems that exist in each country.

Tony
Since there seems to be a little bit of trouble between U.S. and Mexico, with US deporting illegal Mexican immigrants and Mexicans being disliked by quite a number of Americans (some have taken to guarding the border themselves), wouldn't it be better if Mexico and US simply get rid of the border and both unite and become one massive happy country?

While you're at it, take Canada in as well, afterall the two main reasons why the US bought Alaska from the Russians was to A) Remove Soviet direct influence in North America and B) eventually uniting Alaska to the lower 48 states by the complete succession and annexation of Canada into the US of A.

Awe, that will solve so many problems!!!
--------------------------------------------------------------------------

There is ONE simple reason why countries exist in this world. No, it has nothing to do with culture, skin color, race, religion, nothing of that sort.

All those things simply prevent people from seeing countries for what they really are.

Once you realize why countries exist you will realize why they will never disappear.

Even the people who say globalization will eventually do away with borders, they are wrong too.

The current system of nation states is what globalization is built upon and around the world the nation state has a sort of sanctity which (especially if its democratic) is expected to exist from now 'til eternity.

If you want the world to unite without borders, you have quite a road ahead of you. But, you will have to make a few decisions:

1. Decide which of the current countries is the best to govern the world (a world without borders still needs a government of some sort).

2. Once you do that, you will most certainly get the backing of the social and economic elite of that government, because their interest will be propelled across the entire world, eliminating the competition of other elites of other countries.

3. Once you do those two things, you must go and convince each and every single elite group which rule each and every single country in the world that it will be good for them and for everybody if they simply give up their right to exploit and export the raw materials, human capital, and other wealth creators they have ownership of.

4. If you ever get past step 3, then you must decide what language will the world speak. The world needs a common language, otherwise nothing will get done.

5. After that, you will need to develop a set of customs and social norms that needs to prevail globally. An Indian can't feel insulted if he see's someone eating a cow. An American can't feel repulsive to the notion of eating muskrats. The British must get used to the fact that spitting on your buddy's feet is a sign of respect. Oh and picking your nose in public while talking is no big deal.

The world as we know it right now if filled with different customs, social norms, acceptable behavior, etc which differs depending on which side of what border you find yourself in.

I could go on, but I think your answer to #1 will be so controversial that you can consider yourself lucky if you are able to reach a concensus with everybody and move on to #2. That will be the easiest step, #3 will be imposible.

-NALs

Last edited:
G

gary short

Do You See What You've Started Drbill. I Hope You're Happy...

drbill

Dec 3, 2005
NALs said:
There is ONE simple reason why countries exist in this world. No, it has nothing to do with culture, skin color, race, religion, nothing of that sort.

All those things simply prevent people from seeing countries for what they really are.

Once you realize why countries exist you will realize why they will never disappear.

-NALs

Now I get it. Of course. Thanks, I'll try to explain this to Mr. Short. Wish me luck... hahaha!

G

gary short

Hey........Imagine there's no ....um......countries.....It...It...isn't um hard to do.......nothing to kill or die for....... ummm..and....ah.... no religion too....
Imagine all the......ah.....people..... living life in peace.....

NALs

Economist by Profession
Jan 20, 2003
gary short said:
Hey........Imagine there's no ....um......countries.....It...It...isn't um hard to do.......nothing to kill or die for....... ummm..and....ah.... no religion too....
Imagine all the......ah.....people..... living life in peace.....
Anyone care to become a hippie again?

:cheeky: :cheeky: :cheeky:

-NALs

drbill

Dec 3, 2005
you'll never believe it

gary short said:
Whatever happened to Kojak?????????
He passed on, just last September. It reportedly had nothing to do with tootsie-pops, whatsoever. Got it? Whatsoever!
Good night.

ohomem_t

Jan 26, 2006
Mirador said:
Hi,
I've read articles about the problems that exist between Israel and the Palestinians, such as Israel performing deportations of illegal Palestinians and disliking them in general, and something peculiar has occurred to me. If these two countries are experiencing such problems, wouldn't it be a good idea of they both agreed on eliminating the border that separates them, thus becoming one nation? This may sound ridiculous, but with the problems that these countries encounter, and the fact that the Palestinian situation is in bad condition, it sounds like both uniting into one would make life better for everyone on the world since they could share the normal problems that exist in each country.

Tony
For Mirador,
I don't care for you to put words in my mouth and then sign with my name. I'm not talking about Israel and Palestine (even though, now you brought them up, I actually thought Palestine was the former name of Israel, I never knew they were two separate countries). In reference to the two Caribbean countries which share an island, I was just commenting on the fact that since they have a similar history, a unification for two small nations wouldn't sound so unusual. I've read that countries in Central America, such as El Salvador, Nicaragua, and Honduras, have long thought about unification. Their flags are all identical with eachother, and the Honduran flag shows the stars of the 5 Central American lands.

Last edited:

Milosos

*** Sin Bin ***
Jun 2, 2006
Strange facts?

While you're at it, take Canada in as well, afterall the two main reasons why the US bought Alaska from the Russians was to A) Remove Soviet direct influence in North America and B) eventually uniting Alaska to the lower 48 states by the complete succession and annexation of Canada into the US of A.

-NALs[/QUOTE]

I sort of hoped to stay out of the "debating society" on this board, but as Chris said in another post, your version of "facts" leaves much to the imagination of very small children

Do you think the US purchase of Alaska may have had something to do with the "FACTS" that Alaska was populated by mostly US and Canadian citizens and the Russians were seriously in need of hard cash?

Oh, and was the threat of Soviet Communism really a serious issue in the 1860's? I think Russia was under the rule of Tsar Alexander II, a reformist seeking more individual rights for citizens, hardly a Communist

Very strange facts you present Sir.

NALs

Economist by Profession
Jan 20, 2003
Milosos said:
I sort of hoped to stay out of the "debating society" on this board, but as Chris said in another post, your version of "facts" leaves much to the imagination of very small children

Do you think the US purchase of Alaska may have had something to do with the "FACTS" that Alaska was populated by mostly US and Canadian citizens and the Russians were seriously in need of hard cash?

Oh, and was the threat of Soviet Communism really a serious issue in the 1860's? I think Russia was under the rule of Tsar Alexander II, a reformist seeking more individual rights for citizens, hardly a Communist

Very strange facts you present Sir.
Milosos, I can see you are a member since June of this year. Perhaps you have been around for much longer than that, but it's obvious you missed the point in my post.

Don't worry, I'll say half of DR1ers miss the boat completely. It does not matter if they are Canadians, Americans, Dominicans, or Afrikaans.

If you notice, you will realize that this thread started with the OP making a statement that is ridiculous at best.

He/she was posting on unifying Haiti and DR, which is something only a person who knows very little of these two countries could ever suggest.

Now, if you read my post you will see that I started by mimicking her statement in a manner that would take the issue away from DR and Haiti and focus it on some other part of the world.

Given that she knows very little of either DR or Haiti, it only makes sense that I would end my post in away that would come across as not knowing much of the topic. Thus, the annex Mexico comment, and the annex Canada comment, and the completely misinterpreted version of why Alaska was bought.

See the connection between my post and the OP's?

If you don't, I can't help you beyond this.

-NALs;)

Celt202

Gold
May 22, 2004
drbill said:
He passed on, just last September. It reportedly had nothing to do with tootsie-pops, whatsoever. Got it? Whatsoever!
Good night.

Actually Telly Savalas died in January of 1994. I wonder what his position would have been on the unification of Haiti and the DR?

NALs

Economist by Profession
Jan 20, 2003
Celt202 said:
Actually Telly Savalas died in January of 1994. I wonder what his position would have been on the unification of Haiti and the DR?
Would it be similar to these folks:

http://www.ctv.ca/servlet/ArticleNews/story/CTVNews/1034541784098_126/?hub=Canada

Or maybe like these guys:

(Just click on the link, then click on the video on the right and watch in its entirety. To all the Canadians out there, welcome to the club of countries which see their existence threatened.... always). ;)

http://mediamatters.org/items/200412010011

-NALs

Last edited:

Rick Snyder

Silver
Nov 19, 2003
Ohomem t,

Welcome to DR1. Having said that and having read your OP I am under the assumption you have been to neither the DR nor Haiti. Until you do I would suggest you don't make statements like you did. Nal's gave you a very good explaination as to why your idea won't and shouldn't work.

Because of the other silly responses you have received and would receive I am closing this thread.

Rick

Status
Not open for further replies.