Re: Petition for Dominican wife

J

jerry kiefer

I went about it the other way, I applied for a K-1 visa for a fiancee,to come to the U.S. It took about 8 months including two interviews at the embassy in Santo Domingo. I went thru a lawyer in Miami who did the filing. After I was approved the paperwork was forwarded to the DR. My wife had to go thru interviews, physical and police clearance. The visa is for 90 days during which you must marry as the visa is non renewable. In your case I would approach it as if you weren't married. After one year we had to go to a joint interview in Miami to prove that we were really living as husband and wife. Total legal cost was about a grand. I've heard stories of very long waits by appling in the DR to get a visa. The long waits in line at the embassy in Santo Domingo can be a real treat.

M

Merengue

I am very familiar with the fiancee visa, as I filed one about five years ago with a girl from India. It was declined because we hadn't seen each other within a two-year period. In the Dominican case I had no choice. I initially started to file a fiancee visa, but my wife preferred to marry in the Dominican where her family could participate in the wedding ceremony. Besides, I have heard that K-1 visas can take forever. For the Petition for Alien Relative, I file all the papers from California. Of course, you are correct in that she has to be interviewed and get medical clearance over there.

Tom