Ahh, too many choices need help narrowing down my selection...

Felix.

Jul 6, 2006
Hello, my name is Felix. Im from Las Vegas, NV USA. I will be making a trip to D.R in mid August. I will be traveling with my mother, sister (16), friend(21) and myself (21). 3 of us speak spanish fluently. Im having a hard time deciding where to stay. Im debating on staying at an AI resort in Playa Dorada to relax at the beach and then heading over to Sosua with my friend at night for some night life. My other option is staying at an AI in Juan Dolio and then hitting up Boca Chica during the night for some fun. My concerns are the rocky beaches at JD and the amount of crimes i hear about . At Playa Dorada im worried about being to far from anything other than a beach.

I know alot of you guys dont like the AI resorts, but it fits our needs for relaxing at the beach. What do you guys would be a better choice , playa dorada POP or Juan Dolio SDQ?

Rocky

Honorificabilitudinitatibus
Apr 4, 2002
www.rockysbar.com
Try Casa Marina Reef or Beach in Sosua.
It's right in the heart of town, it's all inclusive, has it's own beach.
It may not be 5 star, but it's pretty good, and you can just walk out the door and be in the downtown area in 5 minutes flat.

DominicanScotty

On Vacation!
Jun 12, 2004
Nest of both worlds

Casa Marina, All Inclusive, right in town, don't need a taxi or anything to get you around. LOL actually it is the BEST of both worlds ;-) Playa Dorada is a haul to get into Sosua (20-30 minutes) and a bit of round trip taxi fare money to spend while going back and forth. And, if you do find yourself a friend you can get yourself a inexpensive room in town for the night and be back in the AI before momma even knew you were gone. :)

oriole100

Bronze
Oct 9, 2005
I think Sousa is Your best choice You my want to check out Sousa Bay Hotel. It's not cheap but it's rated one of the best on the Island.

Felix.

Jul 6, 2006
thanks for the info guys. ill look into casa marina. Is it safe to travel by foot from the ai to the clubs/disco? also, can i get kipes,patelitos,dulce de habichuel? etc.. in sosua? thanks again , i appreciate it.

Rocky

Honorificabilitudinitatibus
Apr 4, 2002
www.rockysbar.com
Felix. said:
thanks for the info guys. ill look into casa marina. Is it safe to travel by foot from the ai to the clubs/disco? also, can i get kipes,patelitos,dulce de habichuel? etc.. in sosua? thanks again , i appreciate it.
You can get all of the above, and yes, it's safe, as long as you're not doing something you wouldn't do back home.

samanasuenos

Bronze
Oct 5, 2005
I know you didn't ask, but I would suggest researching hotels near Samana. You won't regret it. There is even night-life!

Rick Snyder

Silver
Nov 19, 2003
Felix,

Welcome to DR1. This is the place to get all those questions answered that you may have. I have lived here for 10 years and just got back from my first trip north of Santo Domingo. I stayed at Rocky's there in Sosua and can honestly tell you that you will have a great time if you stay in Sosua. As Rocky has lived there and runs a business there he is very knowledgable about the town so if he suggests something to you you can take it to the bank.

If you should decide to stay in Sosua please stop by Rocky's Blues Bar and try his ribs as they are the best ribs around. Not trying to plug Rocky's but after hearing all the raves about his ribs for the last couple of years I finally had the opportunity to eat them and everything everyone says is true about them.

Rick